Business model: Official DApp store ?

TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
I think about Google Android and Ethereum, and it seems to me, that with eth:// URLs the Ethereum organization could provide an official Ethereum DApp store, which would ask for money, similar to Google's App Store (Google Play).

While anyone can install 3rd party App store on Android, most use official store, as it helps discoverability of applications.

What do you think of it?

Comments

• TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    This could help fund further developement, in addition to IPO.
  • TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    And for users, it will be easier to discover DApps.
  • avsaavsa Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Just as with the name reg, Ethereum will certainly provide a default App Store where users can go first, and both can be a source of revenue. But there's a perception: does the foundation want to look like it's nickel and dining and trying to sale a profit on sales cuts, ads and domain selling?

This is problematic because their main function should be to developing the core technology and anything else might distract. Imagine if the app store is making a good profit but there comes a moment where a choice must be made in developing a technology that would make the App Store obsolete. In any way they choose to go, the perception of the public will be that the choice was tainted..

Ideally the task of managing an App Store should fall to some other competing and unaffiliated businesses..
  • lajpatdhingralajpatdhingra India ThaneMember Posts: 11
    @stephan_Tual official dapp store as not-for-profit is good idea
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    So how would the not-for-profit app store work from an economic perspective? Would it just add on x% to the app cost to cover the stores maintenance? Or would the money come from elsewhere?

Personally I think NFP is the best way to go.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited August 2014
    @thehighfiveghost‌ - It doesn't need to be financially profitable, and its hosting cost are nill (it's just part of the EtherBrowser).
  • intrepidintrepid Hong kongMember Posts: 13
    Correct me if I'm wrong in your definition of NFP, as it pertains to the foundation and the Official Dapp store. @avsa As I see it, @Technologov idea is quite brilliant, as revenue from the dapp store would be a great way to fund the further development of the foundation in a sustainable way. I think developers and startups/companies around the world would be happy to tithe some revenue to the foundation in order to give back and support it's further development. not for profit means that retained earnings are not distributed to the members, it doesn't mean we make no money. I think looking at the foundation as a "benefit" organization e.g. as a company that has a social cause, but strives to be financially stable, is a more dynamic way to look at its operation. Hell, I would totally consider funding this aspect of the foundation through our company simply to see this happen. there are many win win options under this model and it would be totally in line with Vinay's closing speech at Devcon about a social contract...it would literally be the solution
  • paulhaynespaulhaynes Cambridge Member Posts: 4
    the link to Vinay's presentation:
    youtu.be/34RfEodTn_w