Change branding to "Crypto-platform"

Instead of labeling Ethereum - Cryptocurrency 2.0, I suggest a brand new marketing term:
"Ethereum is the world's first crypto-platform".

What do you think of it?

Comments

• GhostInTheBlockchainGhostInTheBlockchain Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    To me the phrase 'crypto-platform' sounds too much like it's a framework for developing cryptography applications.
  • TasTas Member Posts: 1
    'Decentralized economy platform' would be my choice.
  • rabbitrabbit Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    If we're making up buzzwords I vote for cryptocloud just to see the presentation clip art.
  • TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Cryptocloud sounds great ! I like it (@[email protected])
  • yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Personally I'm not a very big fan of crypto- terms. Cryptography is just a mean to an end, it's a tool. And it's ubiquitous now. All currencies could be said to be crypto currencies for example. Most dollar transactions are secured by some form of cryptography at some point in the chain, except when trading cash. This goes back before Bitcoin. I haven't check but my bet is that you won't find Satoshi Nakamoto quotes calling Bitcoin a crypto-currency.

The real distinguishers are the decentralized and trustless aspects. Ethereum adds the potential for unmanned autonomous agents.
    Post edited by yoyo on
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited April 2014
    I personally agree with the OP, although I do not have yet the right 'tagline' in mind. A 'platform to build and distribute decentralized applications' is how I envisage the final product: with IDEs, GUIs, APIs, tutorials and docs, etc. Let's try to see what we can come up with in this thread.
  • troytroy Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2014
    +1 for cryptocloud (for the one word identifier)... The tagline can be longer, like what Stephan said, above.
  • bomb7bomb7 Member Posts: 4
    I personally hate the term crypto~anything. It reminds me of Tales From the Crypt and other horror shit. I doubt I`m the only one.
  • avsaavsa Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Clouds are limited by the sky. Aether is the invisible substance that holds all the universe!

(It's also nonexistent, but we can't have all)

• ricburtonricburton Member Posts: 2
    I don't have a great idea for a one-word term at the moment but I think that if you're trying to appeal to developers then a focus on the blockchain could be really useful. Whenever I've explained Ethereum as a simpler way to build blockchain-powered apps people's eyes have lit up. Prior to Ethereum, if you wanted to build an app that took advantage of Bitcoin's technology, you had to start your own blockchain (e.g. NameCoin) or shoehorn it into one that already exists (e.g. MasterCoin). Perhaps, put briefly, the pitch could be: build blockchain-powered apps easily.

For what it's worth, I agree with @yoyo and @bob7 about any terms with the word “crypto” in them—they sound scary.
  • artiaartia Member Posts: 1
    I second everything @ricburton? said
  • BluefinBluefin Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2014
    I will just call it "Secured Contract Application Development Platform" - SCAD Platform. Nothing should be linked to Bitcoin. Bitcoin is tainted by too many unscrupulous people. The few of us only know about its goodness, but the rest of the world do not want to be associated with it.

Hence I would want see it re-branded as a software development platform.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    So the good news is, we never called Ethereum "Cryptocurrency 2.0" :)

Our target audience are developers and the core message is "a software platform to build and distribute decentralized applications". Personally I want to be able to walk in front of an audience and be able to explain Ethereum without having to explain Bitcoin first.
  • BluefinBluefin Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2014
    That's the way Stephan! Imagine selling this solution to a financial institution.
  • maidenlakemaidenlake Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    I like what @Stephan_Tual? says for the core message, and I like the word 'easily' suggested by @ricburton? so maybe "a software platform to easily build and distribute decentralized applications."
  • ethereumnickethereumnick Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2015
    Ethereum the Intrastructure of redecentralisation
    or
    Ethereum the Intrastrture of the Internet of Everything

But I agree with @artia, @yoyo and @bob7 and I feel the same way about the term IoT and Crypto-whatever . :s

Post edited by ethereumnick on
  • ordoeordoe tehranMember Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited November 2015

Ethereum the Intrastructure of redecentralisation
    or
    Ethereum the Intrastrture of the Internet of Everything

But I agree with @artia, @yoyo and @bob7 and I feel the same way about the term IoT and Crypto-whatever . :s

Thanks for reactivating this super old thread. I think the correct answer is "world computer".