what subjects would give me a better understanding of ethereum?

frequencypusherfrequencypusher Member Posts: 1
Hi, I don't have a technology background, but I'm about to enter into school for it. What subjects should i study to have a well rounded foundation to be involved with ethereum?
thanks.

Comments

• 0b10n30b10n3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi frequencypusher this suggestion is considering that a basic topic will be bitcoin and blockchain.. and the MOOC DFIN-511 of the university of nicosia will be a good foundation, about ethereum please someone give us more information , I'm a beginner also.
  • jesus666jesus666 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Computer networking, security, cryptography, general programming stuff (OOP, functional, best practices etc.). Most of this stuff would likely be covered by any CS major in most decent universities.

Don't focus on that too much. If you want to work with this tech, then start playing with it today. Try and deploy someone else's smart contract. Send transactions and make calls to it. Try building your own contract. There's plenty of examples all over the web. You'll realise, most of what makes a good soft. engineer is the simplest ability to google (and read!) ;)
  • roz303roz303 Member Posts: 66
    I'd say, at the very least, take a course on object-oriented programming. But I highly recommend a Computer Science major. Not only will it give you insight to Ethereum and computer programming, but it'll open up a LOT of career opportunities as a side result :wink:

And I'd like to second Jesus666's suggestion of playing with it today - deploying contracts, sending and calling them, and building your own. Even if you don't have a programmer's background, there are plenty of tutorials that'll go through and explain a contract line by line enough to introduce you to contract programming. The language I prefer, Solidity, actually isn't as different as normal programming with Java/Javascript, so there's another side result...

This technology is so cutting edge it's still being sharpened - wouldn't it be nice if you're among the first to be able to wield such a powerful blade? Start today, so you can hit the ground running tomorrow!
  • gustav_simonssongustav_simonsson Member, Moderator Posts: 21 mod
    edited July 2015
    jesus666 said:

Computer networking, security, cryptography, general programming stuff (OOP, functional, best practices etc.). Most of this stuff would likely be covered by any CS major in most decent universities.

Don't focus on that too much. If you want to work with this tech, then start playing with it today. Try and deploy someone else's smart contract. Send transactions and make calls to it. Try building your own contract. There's plenty of examples all over the web. You'll realise, most of what makes a good soft. engineer is the simplest ability to google (and read!) ;)

I'd say skip OOP, it's mostly useless :)

And yeah, starting to play with things right away is the most important thing, much more important than academic studies IMO. Though among subjects, probably cryptography is the most important thing in order to understand Ethereum.
  • PhonikGPhonikG Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Agreed... 99% of what you learn in life comes from getting your hands dirty and simply "doing".

Education is more of a springboard.
  • illneilillneil Member Posts: 2

Really, skip the most widely used programming paradigm in todays most popular and highest paying programming languages? OK...
  • Pei13Pei13 Member Posts: 32
    illneil said:

Really, skip the most widely used programming paradigm in todays most popular and highest paying programming languages? OK...
    Well I guess you just don't need it in order to start using Ethereum.