Ethereum Account vs Ethereum Wallet

Anthony1sAnthony1s Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I am using Ethereum-Wallet-win64-0-3-1

When I click on one of my accounts, I see the following note: "Accounts can't list incoming transactions and are rather unsafe, please create a wallet to store ether."

Can someone explain what this means exactly? Why is it unsafe to store ether in an account?

Thanks

Comments

• mrmulemrmule Member Posts: 3
    I was also interested in understanding the difference between an account and a wallet. I (think) I have managed to get mining using AlethOne and this is mining to a reward address starting XE4...

I have downloaded ethereum wallet and this shows that I have (longer) a wallet address starting 007FH.

Is the XE4 address the 'sort of' online account and the (longer) 007Fh address is like an 'sort of' offline wallet?

Thanks
    M
  • ArpFlushArpFlush Member Posts: 14
    I've installed the GUI wallet but this GUI wallet has 0 ETH, so I can't create a wallet/contract to receive my presale ETH on it. How do I proceed? Addresses start with 0x0, are these addresses or pub keys?
    Sorry for the noob questions ;)
    I can see it's still in alpha. I have created a contract based wallet in it but ETH that has been send from an exchange doesn't reflect in it. Although blockchain says it's ok.
    edited October 2015
    Do anyone have an idea where I can find the private keys in the Ethereum folder in /Library (on my mac). I'm using the Ethereum GUI wallet.
    Thanks again!
    Post edited by ArpFlush on
  • FranticFrantic Member Posts: 3
    ArpFlush said:

Do anyone have an idea where I can find the private keys in the Ethereum folder in /Library (on my mac). I'm using the Ethereum GUI wallet.
    Thanks again!

You can find them under AppData/Roaming/Ethereum/keystore
  • tokeweedtokeweed Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2015
    ArpFlush said:

Thanks again!

I believe it would be the same in the Mac and in Linux. It would be in ~/.ethereum/keystore.