How often do you restart your miners?

farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
I noticed that miners should be restarted frequently, because of the DAG file. It seems that the DAG file requires re-creation a lot, but while the miner is running it wont recreate itself, it will only do that upon launching the miner.

Can anyone clarify that? I have a script to restart it every X hours, but at the moment I simply restart it once per day but yesterday it seemed to be stuck mining the same block for hours.

Comments

• davidrentaodavidrentao Member Posts: 60
    if you solo mine, i thought 8 hours you need checking your income(how many coin you get,beter you make one excel to list hour of income), then you know the miner got problem or not, or using proxy web checking it. DAG is big files in running. however rig will misstake when hardware or other case, you need hand by hand to repair it. i thought a lot of software or tools you can using, like gpu monitor(GPU-Z,MSI AF)or proxy web monitor. there don have other special software to control miner. don like SGminer.

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    From my experience, the DAG does not need to be frequently rebuilt.

I have 2 rigs that have been going for days without a restart and are both mining blocks.

I have a 3rd rig that I have to frequently restart because I'm working out voltage and clock speed tweaks/freezes.

You may want to investigate.
  • farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2015
    MrYukonC said:

From my experience, the DAG does not need to be frequently rebuilt.

I have 2 rigs that have been going for days without a restart and are both mining blocks.

I have a 3rd rig that I have to frequently restart because I'm working out voltage and clock speed tweaks/freezes.

You may want to investigate.

What I noticed that when the 24 hour D/C occurs (most ISPs have it) that geth will no longer be able to write to geth.log and you have to manually restart it.

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    24 hour D/C? What does D/C mean? Disconnect?

I've had the same IP for months.
  • farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
    Ah yea, in Europe most ISPs have a disconnect after 24 hours. I wish I could have the same IP
  • xyberxyber Member Posts: 40
    I do frequent restart on my Ubuntu rig only. On my windows rigs, it doesn't need to be restarted.
    For my Ubuntu rig, the reason is that the wifi disconnects unexpectedly and even disabling wifi cards won't work sometimes. The ethminer (Genoil) will also crash and could not be recovered (error is could not allocate memory or something if this happen or libcurl can't connect issue).
    I have to restart my machine and the ethminer will get back to normal again.

For the disconnection issue, this might be related to my machine but the crash issue that could not be recovered and needs restart, I think it has something to do with this specific ethminer. I might need to recheck for an update and rebuild to see if the updated source has fix for this.