A background-running data-to-bitcoin-address app?

Just got this idea -- haven't researched it.

An ethereum app that automatically (more or less) captures your word processing, photos, spreadsheets, etc., hashes them, and then uses the hashes to create bitcoin addresses. This could be useful for writers, photographers, scientists, and anyone else who wants to establish an infallible public record of their data ownership/possession on a just-in-case basis. The idea is that the process would run in the background (for photos), or be started if desired by a keystroke combination when word processing.

Seems like it might be feasible.

Comments

• oliverkxoliverkx Member Posts: 85
    How would you prevent someone from making a minor change to a picture or document, resubmitting it with a new hash, and claiming ownership? You would still need some kind of third party arbitrator deciding if the level of sameness between the two documents invalidates the ownership claims of the newer version.

Any thoughts?
  • BruceSwansonBruceSwanson Los AngelesMember Posts: 7
    As you may know, any change to the data, no matter how slight -- even a single pixel or spaceband -- would produce a totally different hash. The resultant bitcoin address (if any) derived from that second hash would be dated on the blockchain after the first, original one. And you would include in your original hash your own digital signature. And the original hash would be included in subsequent hashes of new data (a next paragraph or page or picture) saved to the blockchain, thus creating your own personal data blockchain.

Still, you are right to the extent that there very likely will be cases for a lawsuit-mandated arbiter, but not to settle blockchain precedence of ownership/possession of the blockchain-published data itself. And maybe I stole the data from the second guy, which would be grounds for criminal charges. (If anything, if someone stole somebody else's data, registering it on the blockchain and publicly claiming it as yours by reproducing the hash that created the blockchain transaction might be the last thing you would want to do.) My idea does not address these matters, but even so as this procedure becomes more popular (and I think it is inevitable) in more and more cases proof of blockchain precedence would settle the matter. Finally, much of your personal data saved to the blockchain would only be revealed should it become necessary, as in the case of arbitration as you describe.

I forgot to make a point in my original posting: use of the blockchain in this manner does not require a fast confirmation time. That could be done in snailmail time because the transaction itself will still be published on the blockchain instantly. Confirmation-time is irrelevant for proof-of-existence purposes.