key JSON missing

Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to help me. Although I fear that I already know the answer to this :/

This morning I updated from [Win64 c++ 0.9.38] to [Win64 c++ 0.9.40]. In doing so I lost access to my account.
I still know the address for the account and the password, is there anyway to recover the other info necessary to be able to access this account on my client.

Thanks

Comments

• HellRazorHellRazor BerlinMember Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    not 100% sure, but an update would not delete your keys, also was it a presale wallet? more info appreciated
  • AvaahAvaah Member Posts: 3
    This is why I'm hugely confused.

It wasn't a presale wallet, I only begun mining 2 days ago and created the wallet for that purpose.

Before updating, I backed up the entire AppData/Roaming/Ethereum folder. I did not back up the AppData/Roaming/Web3 folder as I wasn't aware of it. Though a friend of mine updated in the same way that I did and was not prompted to make a new account, nor did they lose their original account.

After creating a new account twice (once in the updated version and once again in the previous version) I found that I had two key files, neither of which matching the original account's ether balance.

I'm not sure what else I could say to help me out here, or to find where I did something silly. I simply downloaded the updated software package and after replacing my Appdata folder, ran the newly downloaded alethzero and was met with zero balance and a new account.

This isn't a huge deal to me and I've already resigned to starting again. Of course it would be nice to be able to access that account again and also just to know what happened really.

Thanks for your reply
    Hmmm sorry, can't help you if it was a newly created account. I did not use the windows version as I am on Linux... And it also doesn't look like this issue: https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/07/security-alert-1-windowsalethzero-2/
    Hmmm I guess you have looked/searched your system for any *.json or *.key files? Very strange, maybe some dev would like to look into that issue, especially if it is a persistent issue.
  • AvaahAvaah Member Posts: 3
    That was interesting to see nonetheless. If there has been that issue highlighted in that link then it is possible that my key was never written, since I didn't know about the location of the file until after I had this issue. I don't understand how I would have been able to log into the account previously without the key file though. That's somewhat beyond my knowledge here anyway.

Well, I have begun mining with a new account now and have everything backed up already this time. Hopefully this was just a one off thing and a mistake on my part somewhere.

Thanks for taking time to reply to me HellRazor, it is much appreciated.
    You're welcome, sometimes I also feel like no dev or anyone is looking into these threads, so I gladly try to help...
  • moneymarketmoneymarket Member Posts: 10
    Hello

I need help, I bought ether at the pre-sale but I can't remember my login. I download the file JSON when I first bought the ether pre-sale. How am I going to login and download the wallet? please help.

thanks
    Johnny Le
    is there a login? I forgot when I bought ether at pre-sale. All I did was download the JSON file, how do I create a wallet? thanks.
  • afoguafogu Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    @moneymarket : what happens for you when you use the api ?

https://etherchain.org/api/account/0x...your pre-sale wallet address...
    I haven't try anything yet.
    nothing show on that link.

I think I know my wallet address...but how do I download the wallet to show my Ether coins?
    Plug your wallet address into that API - it should tell you something like the following:

{"status":1,"data":[{"address":"0x(YOUR WALLET ADDRESS HERE)","balance":1e+10,"nonce":"0","code":"0x","name":null,"storage":null}]}

look at the "balance" in the example above, it shows 1e+10 .

When you run geth or whatever client you are running, you import your wallet into that client and you should have the amount shown in "balance" at your disposal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......
    @moneymarket : if your pre-sale wallet address is '12345ABCD' then you want to hit

https://etherchain.org/api/account/0x12345ABCD

I click on the link in your comment but nothing happens....It won't let me input my wallet address or do anything.
    @moneymarket :

How about this, try putting your address in here:

https://ethereum.org/ether#balance
    @moneymarket when you received your wallet it was sent to your email, maybe you can recover it from there?
    @afogu I enter the Ether address and check my balance, it does show my Ether coins. but how do I claim the coins?
    @moneymarket what do you mean by claim? They are on that address! If you have the private key to that address then they are yours! Do you mean how to send them somewhere?
    No I didn't want to send Ether to any places. I want to hold them for now. When I open the JSON file, I saw my Ether address but it didn't ask me for my private key. and I didn't see my Ether coins balance on there, I only saw the coins balance on the link.
    @moneymarket, you are ok, you say your address shows that it contains a balance. You will not see the balance in the .json file, you must ask the network about that address in order to know how much ether is assigned to that address.
    Which you did.
    You have just asked the ethereum network "Hey... what, if any, ether are assigned to my address?"

We are not sure what you mean by 'claim' the coins because we understand that YOU,
    as the holder of the password to your pre-sale address,
    OWN and CONTROL the means to do whatever you want with the ether assigned TO THAT ADDRESS.

I suggest you do not try to do anything with that address ( and therefore its ether ),
    including importing it into a client ( like geth ),
    until you have spent more time learning how to deal with it.

I am not importing my own pre-sale addresses into a client, it is not yet time, I need to learn more about
    how this works so I don't do something foolish and lose it all....

Does that help?

@afogu thanks for your help...I'll just leave it alone for now and not mess with it.
  • shawnlearyshawnleary Member Posts: 20
    I'm getting this back "Fatal: Could not create the account: decrypted addr not equal to expected addr % !(EXTRA string=.........., string=................)" when trying to access my .json ether sale wallet. is this the message for a wrong passphrase?
    edited August 2015
    @shawnleary Yes if you try to import it this will come up! It in fact means that you typed in the wrong password... I just tested it
  • shawnlearyshawnleary Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2015
    thx @HellRazor! yep, Kraken tool even giving me same response. its not enough to rent a big computer to brute force it, well not now anyway :) wish i could see the instructions given at the time of sale. i bet there were some recommendations that skewed my normal password selection scheme.
    @shawnleary if it is just one character that is missing it is no problem to bruteforce but if you have no clue of what the password was and it is a long password, then you are srewed. sorry