Alt Pros and Cons: Ethereum DAC with an alternative Blockchain or Build on the Ethereum Blockhain?

kingbitcoinkingbitcoin Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Smart Contracts and Dapps
In building products and services that integrate with Ethereum, what are the pros and cons of using an alternative blockchain versus the Ethereum blockchain as the foundation? The three scenarios I imagine are:

An alternative blockchain, either proof-of-work or proof-of-stake, with a DAC component linking it to Ethereum and availing all the tools offered by the platform.

OR

A DAC based entirely on the Ethereum blockchain that issues the currency or token presumably incurring the cost of higher fees due to a more complex contract.

OR

A fork of Ethereum to create a completely separate alt blockchain complete with Ethereum's scripting language, but with whatever variations the alt calls for.

It's too soon to say for certain, but we can make educated guesses looking at metrics like cost, security, flexibility, effect on the Ethereum ecosystem and potential longevity (admittedly highly speculative). I think we should try to put the options for the future of alternative currencies out on the table. It's a big part of Ethereum's value proposition, not just for developers and investors, but for existing alts and their respective economies.
Post edited by kingbitcoin on

Comments

• mlacortemlacorte Los AngelesMember Posts: 27 ✭✭
    My understanding is that this is best done through creating sub-currencies on the Ethereum blockchain. Due to the flexibility of the Ethereum scripting language, I expect that you won't be able to make network calls because of security concerns. Even if you could communicate between two networks, it would still probably be preferable to operate entirely on one blockchain if only to simplify the consensus process by reducing the amount of state you need to worry about.