Thawing specifics?

cryptoboycryptoboy Member Posts: 74
So... thawing. Does that mean that in theory I should be able to send a tiny wei to another account for testing purposes?

I get the following:
eth.sendTransaction({from:eth.coinbase, to:"***", value: 1})
Exceeds block gas limit
at InvalidResponse (:-60926:-100)
at send (:-124886:-100)
at sendTransaction (:-113803:-100)
at :1:1

Comments

• casscass Distributed Member Posts: 18
    cryptoboy said:

So... thawing. Does that mean that in theory I should be able to send a tiny wei to another account for testing purposes?

I get the following:

eth.sendTransaction({from:eth.coinbase, to:"***", value: 1})
    Exceeds block gas limit
    at InvalidResponse (:-60926:-100)
    at send (:-124886:-100)
    at sendTransaction (:-113803:-100)
    at :1:1

‘thawing’ phase — the period during which the gas limit per block will be set very low to allow the network to grow slowly before transactions can take place

• cryptoboycryptoboy Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2015
    I get that. But shouldn't wei be low enough to make a tiny transaction?
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    The gas limit limits the number of EVM machine instructions that can be run. The balance being sent is irrelevant to how much gas is used. While the gas limit is set low it prevents transaction scripts from running or completing.
  • cryptojoecryptojoe Member Posts: 4
    Any updates on when we'll be fully defrosted.
  • HellRazorHellRazor BerlinMember Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Yeah when does this thawing period end? I don't get it, I can't find information on that. For the launch and the genesis block there was a clear block chosen from the testnet. Then everyone had to generate it himself instead of providing it so it would be more decentralized. And now there is this thawing period and nobody knows when it will end?! Do you guys want us to decide by our self when we end this period so it is more decentralized? Or will there be a certain block when this period will end? Or will you guys just say at some point that the thawing is over??? What's going on?
  • SemielSemiel Member Posts: 15
    They said 3-4 days after launch if nothing changed, which would mean today or tomorrow.
  • kvbkvb Member Posts: 12
    the latest info is that the devs will try to make announcement on the blog by the end of the week. the thawing period as i understand will take some time while the miners update to the new version of the software with the restriction on gas removed. the devs say it's a slow process and can take up to 2 weeks or maybe faster depending on how fast the miners will make the updates. correct me if something wrong.
  • HellRazorHellRazor BerlinMember Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @kvb where did you get this info? source?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited August 2015
    I posted an update on the process over here: http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/2738/the-thawing-frontier-update-for-miners-and-advanced-users

BTW min transaction size is 21K gas.
    Thank you, Stephan! :)
  • oliverkxoliverkx Member Posts: 85
    does this mean that once the gas limit reaches 21K (which it did a few minutes ago), the network will allow one single transaction per block? Thousands of people trying desperately to get their ether off the old compromised addresses, and one lucky winner every 15 seconds...
    Actually, ethdev is currently showing two transactions that took place, one per block in two adjacent blocks, then nothing for a bunch of blocks. In the meantime, all my attempts to fire off a transactions are hitting the "Exceeds gas limit" error. Confused...
    Probably need to adjust your gas cost too. The first transaction had a cost of ~1ETH
    oh - I'll have to figure out how to do that...

Thanks!
    Not sure that's the issue. But might be something to look into as well.
  • realroverrealrover Member Posts: 31
    oliverkx said:

does this mean that once the gas limit reaches 21K (which it did a few minutes ago), the network will allow one single transaction per block? Thousands of people trying desperately to get their ether off the old compromised addresses, and one lucky winner every 15 seconds...

Sorry, but what you mean under "old compromised addresses"?

Stephan Tual wrote in his last blog that all addresses generated with geth 1.0.0 and earlier are to be considered unsafe, and should be regenerated:
    https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/04/ethereum-protocol-update-1/

The way I understand it, they just discovered a flaw that would allow people to take control of such accounts and steal the ether they contain, and what you're supposed to do is to generate a new address using geth 1.0.1 (or later), and transfer all your ether from the old address to the new one.

That is what I have been trying to do all evening, but I am hitting the "Gas price too low for acceptance" error each time.
    I thought this was about people who used it during the test phase.
    From his comment:
    "If you have created keys PRIOR to Go 1.0 rc or C++ 0.9.36, then somehow continued using them into Frontier, OR are expecting an Olympic reward, then you should regenerate them. If neither of these two factors apply to you, then there's nothing to do."
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    ...if your keys date back from Go 1.0 rc or C++ 0.9.36, note that you should regenerate all of your keys NOW
    As I read it, only the RC clients are effected, not Geth 1.0.0
    You may be correct. In my case, I believe I used 1.0.0, but it could just as well have been the rc build. Does the --help flag for the rc build show "version 1.0 rc"? Either way, better safe than sorry...