The correct way of powering the risers for the 470/480

Comments

• Crypto_RigCrypto_Rig Member Posts: 5
    Zorg33 said:

Today I spent some time designing and 3D printing a few prototypes of my 'RiserClip'.
    There are two versions, one is for ribbon risers and the other is for USB risers.
    They hold the riser firmly in the PCI-E slot.
    I can easily lift up the whole motherboard with it.
    PM me if anyone interested.

is it safe to use ribbon style with 1 yellow molex cable powered riser with rx 470's ?

i tried a bunch of usb risers v003 and they are not making the mobo (p35 board) detect the gpus but the ribbon risers work just fine so i have a feeling that maybe older boards don't play nice with usb risers
  • King_MKing_M Member Posts: 22
    As I learned from this topic, only inside 6pinn sata->molex cable is not good idea, right?
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    guys one question, im using one of my pci express cable to make molex cables for the risers, my power supply only got 5 pci express output (evga 1000 watts g3), so i only got 4 free for gpu and one for the molex cable, but i want to connect a 5th gpu, can i just use 2 gpu per pci express cable?
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Can anyone from the uk provide a link to source of decent (molex) risers ?
    Also - Why are most of the USB riser's either sata or include cables to sata ?
    ok - I have read this post again and I think we need to be clear about what we are powering. There is a)powering the graphics card and b)powering the riser board.
  • ApolyonApolyon Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2017
    What do you think about ver005s ? It's riser powered by molex connected via molex-sata to sata from PSU - is this version still dangerous? Should I connect directly molex from PSU to the 1 or 2 risers?
    In my 005ss all connectors and wires are cold.

Any of you guys heard about new ver007s ? It's riser with only sata connector... if it's the newest one I can't understand WHY should we stay away from satas...
    Yes - I have bought ver007s for my new mining rig. This is why I asked for clarification about what we are powering as I think the thread has got lost.
  • KinoseiKinosei Member Posts: 3
    Is it possible to request 6-pin to 6-pin connectors, connect them into the Sata/Perif on the PSU and use those to power the risers? I was thinking of risers like these:

https://www.amazon.com/6-Pack-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B06ZY2R85P/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1494478146&sr=8-16&keywords=powered+risers&th=1

I currently have USB risers that are molex to Sata and I'm requesting more molex connectors so I can use one molex per riser. My concern is I'll then use all the SATA slots and won't have one left for my SSD as I'm running a 6 GPU rig.

Using this GPU and all RX480s:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COIZTZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The two ways I see of solving this is using an extra GPU (8pin) to a 6pin riser via the extra CPU slot on the PSU, then using molex or 6pin to 6pin to power the rest (if the 6pin to 6pin exist and I can get them). Or getting handy with the cords and doing what Zorg recommends, but only as a last resort. Any input appreciated.
  • MicraMicra Member Posts: 2
    as @eonezzz said, i have exactly same setup -> 4 cards, each card has riser and all risers are connected to that Sata cable. All cables are cold. Can it still be a possible problem?
  • insaniakinsaniak Member Posts: 65
    Where can I find this?

• thomasbrunothomasbruno Member Posts: 3
    Just frustrated as to why and how things are made so complicated here. If you would just please PRACTICALLY and thoroughly take us from point A to point B.
    You make all these connection points but just how would you recommend a 6 GPU set up? With what connections??
    You also need to review the different connections available for us morons like me who are not as computer savvy as you all are. The direct USB riser connector can be a molex, SATA or 6 pin. So what is best and and what is best to put between your riser connector and PSU? Don't take for granted that we all just know or are supposed to know those frivolous details. Explain fully.
  • ApolyonApolyon Member Posts: 9
    I'm using ver005s with molex. Connected via molex-sata cable to sata from PSU - 2 GPU per line.

So far my RIG is up for 17 days, connectors don't heat up.

What you guys think? Is it safe or should I change the risers? I'm on bequiet dark power pro 11 1200W. I'm still confused, why ver 006c is so recommended by everyone it's sold with 6pin pcie to SATA cable. Where's the problem? On molex or SATA?
    Splice the other end +12v and GND directly into your risers power??
    What does this mean? And what is a GND?
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Splice the other end +12v and GND directly into your risers power??
    What does this mean? And what is a GND?

If you need to ask this, you might want to take the wiring job to a professional.
    Apolyon said:

I'm using ver005s with molex. Connected via molex-sata cable to sata from PSU - 2 GPU per line.

So far my RIG is up for 17 days, connectors don't heat up.

What you guys think? Is it safe or should I change the risers? I'm on bequiet dark power pro 11 1200W. I'm still confused, why ver 006c is so recommended by everyone it's sold with 6pin pcie to SATA cable. Where's the problem? On molex or SATA?

I've been running my 4 GPU rig for a couple of months now, connectors don't heat up, and I'm running a CORSAIR 850W PSU. I know it's a "no-no" but I have 3 risers powered on a single SATA chain. Not saying that everyone should be doing this by any means, but just throwing my $.02 in.

Just frustrated as to why and how things are made so complicated here. If you would just please PRACTICALLY and thoroughly take us from point A to point B.
    You make all these connection points but just how would you recommend a 6 GPU set up? With what connections??

The simple/best solution is to have 2 PSU's when you go 5+ GPU's. You then use a PCB called add2psu to daisy chain. My first rig had one 1200w PSU but it was a pain to juggle cables. I keep recommending two Corsair 860axi as they and run. I have just built three rigs and it is so easy with 2 PSU's!
    Here is a picture where I connect one sata cable to power each riser PCB. Also each GPU has it's own GPU pwoer cable.
  • chiwalfrmchiwalfrm Member Posts: 1
    Zorg33 said:

Today I spent some time designing and 3D printing a few prototypes of my 'RiserClip'.
    There are two versions, one is for ribbon risers and the other is for USB risers.
    They hold the riser firmly in the PCI-E slot.
    I can easily lift up the whole motherboard with it.
    PM me if anyone interested.

Hi I would like to buy these RiserClips. Are they for sale?
  • bdon22bdon22 Member Posts: 37
    Is this still an issue on the Ver 006's? I plan to run 6x 570's with these risers. Mine do NOT have the voltage regulator. I have an EVGA 1300w G2 but there are only 5 molex connectors spread across 2 rails and the spacing is really tight. Not sure what my options are.
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    bdon22 said:

Is this still an issue on the Ver 006's? I plan to run 6x 570's with these risers. Mine do NOT have the voltage regulator. I have an EVGA 1300w G2 but there are only 5 molex connectors spread across 2 rails and the spacing is really tight. Not sure what my options are.

What do you mean by regulator? Some people, called that extra diode a regulator, i think this is a mistake.
  • praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
    This thread is really long and goes into a couple tangents so I was hoping I could just post a question and pray it gets answered!

All my GPUs plug directly into the PSU, do I still need to (below)

1) power x16 to x16 risers that are essentially extension cords?
    2) power x1 to x16 risers ?

I am sure I can provide power to everything, I was just unaware.

Thanks!
    praesto said:

This thread is really long and goes into a couple tangents so I was hoping I could just post a question and pray it gets answered!

All my GPUs plug directly into the PSU, do I still need to (below)

1) power x16 to x16 risers that are essentially extension cords?
    2) power x1 to x16 risers ?

I am sure I can provide power to everything, I was just unaware.

Thanks!

This post is like a dead horse now and we have flogged it multiple ways for different reasons. The main problem is that people have not been clear about what part they want to power. So, there are just two parts to power and this is the a)PCI/usb riser PCB and the b)video card. You need a) as the usb does not supply power. Powering b) does not change and you should be using GPU power cables as normal. Ideally you should use 1 cable for a) but many people do not have enough cables. There are so many factors to discuss which, in all fairness, is why this discussion has evolved. Considering the relative cost of the PSU there is no debate for me. However, years ago I took more risk and this is what it all comes down to. If you under volt and have plenty of cooling then the risk is reduced. We all want miners that just run and it is important not to forget this important principle in the decisions we make.
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2017
    I'm reading this thread because my system likes to randomly not detect a specific videocard. It will detect 5 then reboot and detect 4 then I spend an hour or two playing with it till it comes back...im guessing this is power related.

there's a lot going on in this thread. From what I've gathered is... don't daisy chain the sata connectors more then 2 GPUs per cable from the PSU to the riser? Sounds like we should use every possible PSU port to have everything connected that way each piece of hardware can draw what it needs without affecting the others.

Unfortunately, I have 15 risers w/ molex to sata... I'm not going to just throw them away....

Anyone care to recap with correct info?
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    So let me get this straight.

This riser is OK?
    https://goo.gl/XVoT6v

But this one is a NO GO?
    https://goo.gl/0lWhAx

(links to ebay)

EDIT:
    Bought the top one and 6x molex to 6-pin, might be overkill. My Seasonic Platinum 1200W only has one cable with 3x molex connector. But I'll buy a Seasonic 850W Prime Platinum and hopefully I can borrow some cables from there.
    narba88 said:

I'm reading this thread because my system likes to randomly not detect a specific videocard. It will detect 5 then reboot and detect 4 then I spend an hour or two playing with it till it comes back...im guessing this is power related.

there's a lot going on in this thread. From what I've gathered is... don't daisy chain the sata connectors more then 2 GPUs per cable from the PSU to the riser? Sounds like we should use every possible PSU port to have everything connected that way each piece of hardware can draw what it needs without affecting the others.

Unfortunately, I have 15 risers w/ molex to sata... I'm not going to just throw them away....

Anyone care to recap with correct info?

I had the same problem with a random card dropping out. In the end it was related to pushing the cards too hards. It seems, and rightly so, that windows, and more so with new drivers, disables a card when there is a problem. So I installed Hwinfo and my memory errors were too high. So I pulled back the memory speed and I have stability and no bloody card dropping off!
  • BrucelatsBrucelats Member Posts: 23
    Can we make some TLDR for this risers?? I am confused and i really need help!

Which risers to use, Molex to SATA or 6-pin to SATA? or use Risers that have SATA connector directly? Will all work? I am not so good and electronics and i am scared not to burn something or do something wrong. I plan to use 1x 1000W PSU - Seasonic platinum to power 6x Nvidia gtx 1070 GPU-s.

Please help :(
  • RickyTerzisRickyTerzis Member Posts: 1
    Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge Standard 12v rail will gives you more of what you need. Unlike EVGA which gives you some wires you cannot use. Comes with 5 Molex cables that have daisy chain sata on them as well. I just use the molex end. How much power do you think a 470 draws? Do you use power risers with a molex to molex connection?
  • statisticianstatistician Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017
    Guys, I have a quick question that I hope someone can help me with. I have some Version 7 PCI-e risers powering various GPUs (mostly MSI RX470 8GB Armors). In my EVGA 850 Supernova power supply, the VGA cable splits into two -- one that has 8 pins that I plug directly into the GPU -- and another that has only 6 pins. Can I buy an extender like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DV1Z4EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just power a 6-pin riser with the extender connected to the other 6-pin cable that's too short to reach my riser? I have always used a separate molex connector and powered them with a SATA cable, but I think this might be better based on what I've read. I think it might be safter too, because it seems I always have to end up powering at least 2 GPU's in my 7 card rigs with a single SATA, which makes me a little nervous. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!