Ideal r9 290 settings

Sequoia93Sequoia93 Member Posts: 130
I thought this would be easier to find just sifting through past topics, but I'm not having much luck.

I'm playing around with a single MSI FROZR r9 290 and am trying to optimize the settings short of using a modded bios (i'll get to that eventually...)

at 1050 core 1400 mem it runs stable enough at 28-29MH but the temps skyrocket to 95 very quickly. I can undervolt a bit, but I've seen -100mv reccomended, but that just crashes my PC. I am blessed with about 82% ASIC quality.

Any experienced 290 users have advice to optimize this card?

Comments

• Sequoia93Sequoia93 Member Posts: 130
    I found some good recommendations from @work that push my hashrate to 31. However, it quickly plummets to the low 20s, I assume from throttling since it struggles to stay below 95 degrees...

Currently at 1100/1200 -50mv.

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Try these... also hit the down arrow next to Core Voltage and turn AUX Voltage to -100

All my ref R9 290s run at 31MHS+
    Sorry, just realized you don't have ref cards. Don't know if this will work on it or not.
    edited September 2016
    @SIRacer09 No worries, its still helpful.

I reduced my mem down to 1125 like you, and did not lose any MH (still at 31). However I'm still having temp issues. Anything below -50mv and I get crashes.

I'm surprised considered the beast of a cooler on this card. I'm close to just pulling it apart and re-applying better thermal paste.

What is the AUX voltage you speak of?

should have read that closer. AUX is down -100mv but I'm still hitting 95 degrees and the card throttles down to ~20-25MH
    Wow, what are your fans set at?
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100
    LMAO !!!
    R9 290s better than rx 480 ???!
    @imperialtex About the same hashrate, but the 480 uses significantly less power. I just happen to have a 290 laying around so I'm putting it to use.

@SIRacer09 That was with fans at 100%. I just pulled the cooler off to find a minimal amount of old dried thermal paste. So I applied some Antec Formula 7 and my startup temp dropped from about 55 or 60 down to 42. Now its mining at a stable 31-31.1 MH/s with the temp stable in the low 80s after 10 minutes, fan around 60%.

If I crank the fan to 100% I can bring it down to 79.

My final settings are 1100/1100 -50mv core -100mv AUX
    Cool! Glad its a little more stable
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I run my gigabyte on stock clocks, undervolted -75mv, stable 29.5MH, manual fan at 70%, temps ~75C
    back up to 90+ degrees. Not sure what to do at this point.
  • iamkonyiamkony Member Posts: 49
    SIRacer09 said:

Try these... also hit the down arrow next to Core Voltage and turn AUX Voltage to -100

How are you pushing 31+ with your Core Clock @ 1100? I have a ref 290 and with these settings I'm pushing 33+

Core Voltage: -19mV
    Core Clock: 1180/1185 mhz
    Memory: 1125 mhz
    Fan: 70% (temp is at 77-78C)
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    The only way I can keep my 290/390s in the low 70s is with 95% fan speed, an air conditioner, and a big fan per rig dedicated to blowing air through the cards
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Without the Stilt bios the card uses like over 300watts. With the Stilt bios you can run at 1050/1250 at 30mh/s and its not that loud.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Although the MSI twin frozr 290 looks like it has a 'beast of a cooler' - it isn't actually very good. I have two of these and one of them I actually watercooled out of frustration because it was pushing up to the high 80s and gradually getting worse.

If you want to go down that route (it's expensive but works great) you can actually use waterblocks designed for the reference 290 on this card. The 3 watercooled ones (I have 2 other reference 290s watercooled) are running high 50s and low 60s, three cards in one loop using a 360mm radiator. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get some of the "all in one" watercooling kits designed for CPUs to fit but you would have to look into it. Definitely not something that makes sense for return on investment but this is all really a fun hobby to me that happens to make money and I love watercooling.

The other MSI twin frozr I have has an external fan always pointed straight into it and it's currently at 74 with an ambient temp of around 18. I have its fan at 100%. It's not going to like the Australian summer that's for sure. I actually tried doing the disassembly and re-application of thermal paste, etc with my 1st MSI but it actually got worse! I must have done something wrong, it's easy to damage all the thermal pads of the memory, VRMs, etc. If you are going to try it do it carefully. You can find replacement pads on Ebay but they are varying thicknesses so buy a few types. Best idea is to buy a couple of sheets of different thickness (0.2mm, 0.4mm, 0.6mm) and cut your own out. Also MSI don't exactly make it easy because they use some plastic spacers which are actually bonded to the PCB and I had to scalpel them loose. Make sure you use good thermal paste and don't use too much! Just a thin smear, or a dot in the centre of the GPU core. I have replaced thermal paste on plenty of other cards and it always helped but not with this one. Unfortunately I don't know what I did to make it worse so I can't warn you about it - it went from running at 86 to going above 90 and throttling, and that was the point where I said F it and bought a waterblock. I already had pump & radiator. I guess it just wouldn't be worth it if you had to buy a whole watercooling rig. Judging by the two MSI twin frozr 290s that I have - they seem to get worse over time and obviously weren't intended to be run 24/7. As I said my experience with new thermal paste was a bad one but if you do it carefully you may be OK. All I have done so far with the one still air cooled if to make sure I blow the dust out of the heatsink often, set it's fan at 100%, set it's memory at 1125 (it's core is still 1100) and always have an external fan blowing into it's in-built fans.

MSI made a 'lightning' version of the 290x and it has the best air cooler of any of my cards, but it's huge. I had it overclocked to 1150 core and it ran at 65 degrees for hours, but it wasn't stable and would crash after 4-6 hours so now it's at 1080 (factory) and it's at 60 degrees with its fan at 60%

I think the best air-cooled non-x 290s are the Sapphire tri-x ones, and I have four of them. Even the tri-x ones I have that are crammed together never go above 70.

I have never undervolted my 290s but I have all of them at memory 1125. I don't think memory set at 1100 is advisable because I think @work told me that their voltage table is in steps of 125, so factory clock of 1250 - 125 = 1125. Next step down would be 1000 and I think that would drop the hash rate or just not work. Most of them are at core 1100, some of them wont do it though and they are at 1050. All the ones at 1100 are hashing at 29-31.

• mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Sequoia93 said:

back up to 90+ degrees. Not sure what to do at this point.

The MSI "Twin Frozr" fans are notorious for early failures, so see if the fans are actually spinning smoothly and fast enough.
    @mmx fans are running fine.

@newmz I reapplied the past successfully, it helped...but only a bit.

The only thing that keeps the temps reasonable are dropping the power limit down. at -15% I can reach 82-84 degrees. Right now I'm at -20% and stable at 78 degrees, however I'm only hashing 25MH ETH 440MH SIA. All at 100% fan of course.

@adaseb I don't have a wattmeter but in GPU-Z I'm getting ~140w @ -20% and like 200w at full power. I can only imagine what its pulling at the wall :'( stilt bios is only for reference right? does it just change memory straps like many are doing with the 480s?
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    When I first got the 290s, I could only run them at the stock voltage/stock clock, when I tried overclocking to like 1050/1250, it would run crazy loud, use like 300 watts. The Stilt bios made a huge difference because he turned off those useless ROPs that aren't needed with mining.

• un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    does any1 have a link to the Stilts BIOS...somehow i cant find a proper site for the ROM. Is this ROM only for reference Cards, or also for custom PCBs?
    work said:
    there are so many version...wonder which one for my gigybyte windforce card... whats the difference between MXT and MP versions..MXT is with corrected timings?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @un4given MP vs MXT = 290 vs 290X. They all have corrected timings.

xxxxx-x-xx.y-yy

xxxxx = STILT (obviously ;))
    x = M (purpose, = mining)
    x/xx = P (Hawaii PRO) or XT (Hawaii XT)
    y = Version Config (V for VID)
    yy = SVI2 VID code in hex

Original thread by the stilt:
    https://litecointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=eddv3at0lhd0mh6eigv12dfoj7&topic=12830.msg121827#msg121827
    work said:

@un4given MP vs MXT = 290 vs 290X. They all have corrected timings.

xxxxx-x-xx.y-yy

xxxxx = STILT (obviously ;))
    x = M (purpose, = mining)
    x/xx = P (Hawaii PRO) or XT (Hawaii XT)
    y = Version Config (V for VID)
    yy = SVI2 VID code in hex

Original thread by the stilt:
    https://litecointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=eddv3at0lhd0mh6eigv12dfoj7&topic=12830.msg121827#msg121827

u r the man. thx a lot. :)
  • RedmanmasonRedmanmason Member Posts: 7
    How do you mod a bios on an msi twin frozr R9 290
    iamkony said:

SIRacer09 said:

How are you pushing 31+ with your Core Clock @ 1100? I have a ref 290 and with these settings I'm pushing 33+

Is that with a bios mod?
  • donsebadonseba NetherlandsMember Posts: 22
    @Redmanmason , it is an (nearly) 1 year old post, you will not get those speeds anymore.. Difficulty and dag increased to much for that
    @donseba thank you, if you have any tips to get the card some extra hashrate thank you.
    @donseba the DAG is still not big enough to effect the card that much, I successfully got my card up to 30mhash.
  • philakonephilakone Member Posts: 163 ✭✭

iamkony said:

SIRacer09 said:

Is that with a bios mod?
    I run MSI R9 290 OC Twin Frozr, using Ethos @ 1125, default memory voltage, and they all get about 31.25 MH/S.

Stable for months now @ 82 degrees.

What I did extra was clean the old thermal grease off well, removed old thermal pads, and used good gelid GC solution thermal paste (rated higher than arctic silver) and put on new thermal pads. Also have a fan pointing at them at a 45 degree angle towards the front of the card as I find that gives it the best temperature.
  • killahtmkillahtm Member Posts: 1
    so guys whats the power consumption of your 290 of the wall with oc ofc :smiley: