6x480 rig on 1000W? Yeah right...

hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
Just built a 6 x PowerColor 480 Red Devil rig (non-reference cards) with a Corsair AX1200i, thinking it would be more than enough to power things, since everyone is saying its totally doable with a 1000W PSU...

After running for about 5 minutes, one of the GPUs died, and claymore restarted.
Gotta give it to Corsair for making some crazy hardcore PSUs that perform. I was expecting it to meltdown, especially for going way over its rated spec.

But after seeing this, I call BS on those who say you can run a 6 card 480 rig on 1000W. You can see the numbers there in the screenshot for yourselves, and those aren't GPU-Z style readings. That's from the CorsairLink dongle that connects from USB straight directly to a dedicated port on the PSU.

If you are one of those people running a 6 card rig with 480s. Please raise your hands up.
Now I will have to go dual PSU on this rig. I really didn't want to go that route :(

Comments

• cpluscotecpluscote Member Posts: 86
    ::raises hand::

I have a 6 card rig that does 160MH at about 700w-750w from the wall.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @cpluscote may I ask how on earth you did that? These non-ref 480s aren't looking as energy efficient as everyone has been saying they are...
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    cpluscote said:

::raises hand::

I have a 6 card rig that does 160MH at about 700w-750w from the wall.

HOW?
    FYI, i've flashed all the 480s with the new Red Devil unlock bios, yet i'm still unable to adjust any settings, apart from a very small down clock on the GPU. Voltage I can't adjust at all, it just keeps returning to default values. WattMon just keeps crashing, such a crappy piece of software.
  • cpluscotecpluscote Member Posts: 86
    It's all about underclocking and undervolting the GPU. You can lower the clock and voltage a TON without having any effects on the hashrate while at the same time lowering the fuck out of power consumption.

Check out some of the other RX 480 threads on this forum for exact settings. You'll have to tweak around with yours a bit.

The card should run fine at 900MHz core and 920mV. Just fool around with the ram around 2150-2200MHz and ~900mV. These are just approximate settings and they don't work for ALL cards. You have to test them out on your own cards and find out what works for you.

This being said, I can guarantee it that you can get it up and running at under 1000w.
    FYI, i've flashed all the 480s with the new Red Devil unlock bios, yet i'm still unable to adjust any settings, apart from a very small down clock on the GPU. Voltage I can't adjust at all, it just keeps returning to default values. WattMon just keeps crashing, such a crappy piece of software.
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    I am getting 116Mh/s at 696W with 4 480's and an old Corsair AX 1200, so it's doable, methinks. You can consult the parameters of energy-efficient BIOS'es. I would say you can even do 8 of them with AX 1200i. You probably need a custom BIOS for that, though.
    @cpluscote I DDU'd the whole system and installed the newer 16.8.2 hotfix driver package. WattMan seems to be stable now, not crashing, and i'm able to adjust clocks and voltage!

Did as you suggested, and the entire system is consuming only 936W now! Hashrate is not exciting though, as running at 2150MHz.. going to slowly push that up and find the limit.

Thanks for your settings! Lets see how far I can go from here.. :)
    @zawawa I would love to max out this PSU, but unfortunately, my mainboard has only 6 slots and an old school PCI slot :( Unless I bought one of those multiplexer adapters.. hmmm...
    Hmmm getting BSOD with 2225MHz. Strange, because when I was using ASUS GPUTweak with fewer cards, it let me push it to 2250.. perhaps I have to raise the voltage of the memory a bit? Or GPU clock too slow? @cpluscote
    Now I understand why someone else said to set a restore point when playing with OC settings... all my settings just disappeared in WattMan because of the crash :s
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    This is where you undervolt your gpu:s:
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1577332.msg15847460#msg15847460
    My 6x480 rig pulled like 850w from the wall. Now i have splitted them up on 4gpu rigs though due to HOT riser connectors when running more then one riser per powerline from the psu.
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    @hasher WattMan is an absolute PITA to deal with. I'm so glad I went with custom BIOS'es... I highly recommend it.
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    All my win rigs run with 6cards and 1000w psu.
    Highest is 155Mh/s eth 2000Mh/s sia
    Stock rom 900w @ wall.
  • dolemitedolemite Member Posts: 19
    Solo mining you get 184 hash for 1050 watts.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    perfectly viable since the modded roms are in play.

@hasher using stock values red devils will draw more power than ref 480's. I haven't played with these cards directly but I would suggest using a power effiecient ROM. See no reason you can't get 27 - 28 mh's per card using about 120w-130 @ the wall. Rig total of around 850w. Make sure to undervolt core and memory. Specific settings can be seen in the multiple posts on the forum. for ref 480's I suggest something like. Mem: 920/2125 Core 825/1125. That's just in Wattman. Other options are available now too like making your own BIOS version and WatM0n (although still a work in progress I believe).

Im running rigs around 168Mh's @ 760w @ the wall that was over a week ago using a custom BIOS i made in 5 minutes before going on holiday! I have yet to play around with the new strap timing improvements and other advances in the 400 series that have been mentioned on the forums but think it's possible to get 5% improvement on this as well maybe.
    Post edited by Yogi on