Anyone have dramatic instability after latest DAG change on R9 290 on stilt bioses @ 1125 mem clock?

kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Mining
As of one week ago, I have been running my R9 290 on stilt bios @ 1125mv (voltage). A few weeks ago, I reduced the mem clock from 1250 to 1125, as well. This resulted in an increase increas of hashrate by 1mhs per GPU, on average.

However, after latest DAG change, 25% of the GPUs crashed immediately. I am finding they require, on average 20-30mhz reduction in core clock to fix stability issues.

I have seen reports that moving 1125 mem clock back to 1250 mem clock fixed this problem, but at the expense of 1mhs.
Post edited by kotarius on

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I tried downclocking to 1125 mem to see if I could replicate this issue however since you can't downclock the memory without bios flash I can't help you out.
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    kotarius said:

As of one week ago, I have been running my R9 290 on stilt bios @ 1125mv (voltage). A few weeks ago, I reduced the mem clock from 1250 to 1125, as well. This resulted in an increase increas of hashrate by 1mhs per GPU, on average.

However, after latest DAG change, 25% of the GPUs crashed immediately. I am finding they require, on average 20-30mhz reduction in core clock to fix stability issues.

I have seen reports that moving 1125 mem clock back to 1250 mem clock fixed this problem, but at the expense of 1mhs.

I'm actually experiencing similar issues and I run my cards are higher voltages. I haven't collected enough data to confirm your findings though, but problems began ~2 days ago. My first suggestion to you is to increase the voltages a bit, or decrease the power limit.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem, 25% of my cards crashed and still crash after a couple hours of hashing even after reboots, Did you ever find a fix? They all ran 100% stable until now.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    @bctopics It took a few days but I kept reducing clocks until everything was stable again. I did multiple passes of -10mhz for all cards that kept crashing. Everything is fine now.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    @kotarius I haven't done a thing to voltage or firmware. I am running 6 different 290s and 2 290x. They are all at mem 1125, most of them are at core 1100. I haven't had a single problem. Is this a fault with the stilt bios and/or undervolting? Or am I just lucky with my cards?
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    kotarius said:

@bctopics It took a few days but I kept reducing clocks until everything was stable again. I did multiple passes of -10mhz for all cards that kept crashing. Everything is fine now.

You mean -mhz for the core?
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
  • trotoltrotol Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2016
    give me your common "stilt" bios vram (I know at least 3 versions of it) - I may look into