10 ETH to whoever helps me find and fix the problem

ZanderMZanderM Member Posts: 86
You can find alot of info in my other thread:
https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9350/problem-with-risers/p1

If you need more info, just ask.

I've been trying my best for over a week now, and I've still gotten no luck.

Comments

• Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm assuming PCIe is set to Gen2 or Gen 1 in BIOS?

Driver is latest? 16.8.2

You did an uninstall using DDU before installing new driver?

The above 2 questions may now be irrelevant because I see you went to ethOS. After reading through the whole thread it looks like you've gotten all the help possible. It could be a faulty board. Especially since you said it worked fine on a different motherboard.

Edit: And after even more careful reading of the vast number of steps you have taken, I honestly would have given up on that motherboard already. I am certain it is faulty. You can't get it working in 2 different OSes and the risers/GPU work on a different board. You've narrowed it down, sir. :)
  • ZanderMZanderM Member Posts: 86
    Jotun70 said:

Driver is latest? 16.8.2

The above 2 questions may now be irrelevant because I see you went to ethOS. After reading through the whole thread it looks like you've gotten all the help possible. It could be a faulty board. Especially since you said it worked fine on a different motherboard.

When I was on windows, I did try 16.7.3 and 16.8.2 I did use DDU before installing new drivers, tried that like 10 times, then installed a fresh version of windows 4 times, still no luck.

Tried Gen1, Gen2 and Auto in bios, did not make a difference. Everything worked on another mobo, but I have 8 h81 btc's, all new, I'd really like to get them working, so far I've tested 4 of the h81's, no one working. I don't see any chance that I would've gotten that many faulty mobo's..
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    You said the risers work on another mobo...I'm assuming they work with the same cards on another mobo?

The only reason I ask is because the AMD 4xx series likes to draw a lot of power through the slot compared to most cards.

My only thought at this point would be to try other risers, they are finicky with some mobos and it's not always easy to fix. Other than that I don't have any suggestions.
    edited August 2016
    ZanderM said:

Jotun70 said:

Driver is latest? 16.8.2

When I was on windows, I did try 16.7.3 and 16.8.2 I did use DDU before installing new drivers, tried that like 10 times, then installed a fresh version of windows 4 times, still no luck.

Tried Gen1, Gen2 and Auto in bios, did not make a difference. Everything worked on another mobo, but I have 8 h81 btc's, all new, I'd really like to get them working, so far I've tested 4 of the h81's, no one working. I don't see any chance that I would've gotten that many faulty mobo's..
    Interestingly enough, I remember reading awhile back that someone here bought something like 20 H81 BTCs and a dozen of them didn't work. It honestly may not have been this forum, so I'd really have to dig. I know they HAVE had bad batches before though. I don't believe at all that is a very reliably built board. There is no consistency.

If you have the funds to purchase 1 or 2 more, or maybe even better go with the H97 Anniversary, you may find yourself with a working setup. I am hoping you can return any that don't work.

Also, thing to remember is, with the Asrock H81/H97 boards... when they work, they just work. When I got my H97 setup, it just worked. Barely touched a single setting. Just switched it to Gen2. I didn't even do the whole process of adding 1 GPU at a time, rebooting, etc. Insalled 1, installed OS, installed the other 5, started mining away...

• otoxotox Member Posts: 41
    Use Gen1 in BIOS. Plug one riser in at a time and hash with 1 card at a time for at least 10 minutes to see if it crashes. I've had this problem with several of my rigs, I have 8 of them now and they all run stable. Windows gets into a big hissy fit sometimes and it takes several reboots to get it going. Also the initial setup should ONLY be done with a single card. Do not attempt to install the drivers while all cards are attached or you will have a bad day. If you get bluescreens during the install run DDU and the AMD Cleanup Utility. Do both...

Unplug your cards and use onboard VGA, reboot. Ensure your device manager is clean. Try again, either with a different slot or a different card. Once you get success, plug one card in a at a time when you boot. If you get windows to boot with all 6 cards and they are listed in device manager as fine then move on...I wouldn't touch overclocking until you get stability on stock settings.
    rether said:

You said the risers work on another mobo...I'm assuming they work with the same cards on another mobo?

The only reason I ask is because the AMD 4xx series likes to draw a lot of power through the slot compared to most cards.

My only thought at this point would be to try other risers, they are finicky with some mobos and it's not always easy to fix. Other than that I don't have any suggestions.

I've tried both same cards and risers on different mobo, works just fine. I have 40 new risers comming this week. So we'll have to wait and see I guess
    ZanderM said:

rether said:

I've tried both same cards and risers on different mobo, works just fine. I have 40 new risers comming this week. So we'll have to wait and see I guess
    You're using 470s right? Those don't draw massive amount of power via the slot iirc. None of the 470s are reference design and the problem child is the reference 480.

I know you're not a noob, but I'm going to ask you... Can you please take a picture of your setup with everything plugged in, and post it here?
    otox said:

Use Gen1 in BIOS. Plug one riser in at a time and hash with 1 card at a time for at least 10 minutes to see if it crashes. I've had this problem with several of my rigs, I have 8 of them now and they all run stable. Windows gets into a big hissy fit sometimes and it takes several reboots to get it going. Also the initial setup should ONLY be done with a single card. Do not attempt to install the drivers while all cards are attached or you will have a bad day. If you get bluescreens during the install run DDU and the AMD Cleanup Utility. Do both...

Unplug your cards and use onboard VGA, reboot. Ensure your device manager is clean. Try again, either with a different slot or a different card. Once you get success, plug one card in a at a time when you boot. If you get windows to boot with all 6 cards and they are listed in device manager as fine then move on...I wouldn't touch overclocking until you get stability on stock settings.

I have done that, lots of times the cards are listed as okay in device manager, but still get driver crash when starting to mine or when trying to open wattman.
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    did u try on other windows
    mpunisher said:

did u try on other windows

I have only tried windows 10
  • ortho_sticeortho_stice Member Posts: 8
    When I was setting up my rig I had problems with faulty usb riser cables. Cards not being detected etc. This happened with two different batches of risers from different sellers but they both had cables that looked alot like yours with the rounded ends. I replaced them with USB 3.0 a to a cables I bought on amazon and everything works fine now.

When I was setting up my rig I had problems with faulty usb riser cables. Cards not being detected etc. This happened with two different batches of risers from different sellers but they both had cables that looked alot like yours with the rounded ends. I replaced them with USB 3.0 a to a cables I bought on amazon and everything works fine now.

But they work fine on one of my other mobo's(Z97-a)
  • ortho_sticeortho_stice Member Posts: 8
    In BIOS try messing around with the Top Of Low Usable DRAM setting. I could not get fifth card to be recognized until I changed mine from auto to 2.5gb but a different setting might work for you. I'm using a different mobo model but same manufacturer
    How much RAM does your system have (sorry if you posted this and I missed it)?
    rether said:

How much RAM does your system have (sorry if you posted this and I missed it)?

8gb
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I assume you've tried connecting the on-mobo Molex power connector?

I assume you've tried connecting the on-mobo Molex power connector?

Yes
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I had 2 gpu crash to blue screen once i install the drivers to them , then after the reboot they are no longer shown in device manager so i sended them for a replacement and im still waiting for the new gpu's to arrive.Did you tried connecting every single gpu 1 by 1 to the main pci-e x16 slot ? do they give display output or blank black screen.If some of them give blank black screens means u have to send them for replacement aswell
    cviper said:

I had 2 gpu crash to blue screen once i install the drivers to them , then after the reboot they are no longer shown in device manager so i sended them for a replacement and im still waiting for the new gpu's to arrive.Did you tried connecting every single gpu 1 by 1 to the main pci-e x16 slot ? do they give display output or blank black screen.If some of them give blank black screens means u have to send them for replacement aswell

every gpu works in the x16 slot
    ZanderM said:

But they work fine on one of my other mobo's(Z97-a)
    Even though it may have nothing to do with the risers certain chipsets and components can be more "picky" resulting in the situation your having. I had a PSU that I thought had died, but it turned out to not work with only that particular mobo...weird.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ZanderM if this is happening only when you mine then it's related directly to that process.
    Things that happen when you mine.

1. More Power draw.
    2. Core clock increase
    3. memory clock increase

Can you open GPUz and monitor it just before the crash ?
    How are you powering the risers ?

If this is the h81 pro btc and youre using powered risers you do not need to connect the molex on the board.
    You do need the latest BIOS for the board however.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ZanderM hello m8, feeling your pain. i had a similar issue. Couldn't get my 6xGPU work on H97 Anniversary.

Tried everything. Got 5 GPUs working on a Z97 gamer mainboard without the problems, so mainly thought i have a problem with mobo or PSU...also Risers were under investigation. switched risers PSU in different combinations.

my suffering ended...i would have never guessed...by plugging the rig directly in to the wall and not via the breaker...

it was a faulty breaker....frikin breaker...

as @Yogi had written, the most frequent mistakes could be

Overheating
    Overvolting
    Undervolting
    Overclocking
    Underclocking
    The sum of the cards using too much power for your PSU
    The sum of the computers using more AMPs than you have on your breakers
    If the computers shut down after 3 hours of max use, you have a breaker problem - lower energy consumption on the circuit by 20%( look up how consistent power draw & AMPs work )

also play with settings in Wattmann to reduce the power draw

• OrangeBubblegumOrangeBubblegum Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2016
    I have 20 470s. Heres how I set them up:

I tried Windows 7 first, then Windows 10. Neither worked.

Windows 8 works flawlessly.

I put the first card in the x16 slot and then start from the bottom all the way to the top. Install the motherboard drivers before putting in other cards in, I used the ones right off the Intel website.

If a card doesnt work, try a restart first then switch risers. Sometimes the card might take 3-4 minutes to install on boot up.

On 1 rig cards were being recognised in an odd way. So I just plugged everything in at once and uninstalled all the drivers with the AMD cleanup tool. Then reinstalled them again. One by one they got recognised.

Asrock B85 and H97 Anniversary with updated BIOS, 4gb ram with old sata disks are what I use.

My first rig took 5 hours to get up due to Windows being picky.

Second one took 1.5 hours. I didnt even bother to install one card at a time with the second rig, just installed motherboard drivers and put all the cards on at the same time with no drivers installs. Once they were recognised, I installed all at once.
  • AlexngAlexng Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016

Hi @ZanderM . From the picture what i can see you did not connect the molex connector to your board. Is not enough power to supply to other card.
    Alexng said:

Hi @ZanderM . From the picture what i can see you did not connect the molex connector to your board. Is not enough power to supply to other card.

I have tried both
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Try card 1 in the x16 slot with a riser (use this card for display)
    Add card 2 using a riser to the x1 slot left of the x16 (there should be 1 slot on the left).

See if that helps.
  • crazyroostercrazyrooster Member Posts: 3
    @ZanderM
    don't waste time.
    i ordered 100 pcs xfx 470 4gb a month ago.
    and it turn out unstable with a lot of mb.
    i tried everything.
    1 GPU use mb slot directly is ok. more with risers, No.

no solution at all.
    change ur mb and try again :'(
    I think the problem was a bad batch of risers, got new ones today, will do some testing after work.
    Update: It was the risers!