[IDEA EXPLORATION] Website where all sellers get a distribution of total sales.

giannidalertagiannidalerta Miami, FLMember Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Projects
There are some community marketplaces, like etsy, threadless, zazzle.com even ebay... where many sellers place their products draw people to the site for what they are selling, sell their product and give a cut to the marketplace. My ideas is that the marketplace should give a cut to the sellers for bringing in a customer. Lets take a curated site like threadless and break it down.

Not being a coder, I know most of the ethereum crew are concepting and building some crazy difficult things. However I feel that this idea based on an existing model which helps put ownership into the contributors hands could be something viable.

Example threadless model.
  1. A designer submits a design
  2. The community votes on their favorite design
  3. The winning design is then sold.
  4. Threadless pays the one designer a fee for his work.
  5. Threadless takes the biggest cut.
Basically work for hire.

Here is my proposed model for 51attack.com
  1. Same approach as above 1-3
  2. The winning design attracts people to the site and may result in other shirts being sold as well as the overall success of the site.
  3. My proposition: The revenue of the shirt is split 3 ways, (do not know the %)
Here is the theoretical split
(Have not come up with real %, would love for the %s to be dynamic based on site performance and contribution.)
  1. 1/2 of the revenue goes to the site. The site has to print the shirts, host the site, pay expenses.
  2. 1/4 goes to the artist work who got sold.
  3. 1/4 goes to a community pool.
The distribution model
(This needs help)
  1. At the end of each month. Depending on the total sold or revenue. Each artist whom has a selling/sold item for that month gets a cut of the community pool based on their performance.
  2. These would not be shares, I guess they could be considered a commission. Maybe they could be given out as tokens/coupons
  3. The site would probably have to take a 1099 from each artist seller.
Some other ideas for this concept.
  • Being that my site is called 51attack.com, to further expand on the crypto idea. I was thinking that there could be design crews or in the world of mining "designing pools" made up of a group of artist submitting work.
  • Fun Idea. The designing pools would compete to try to 51 attack the total community pool of funds. Which ever pool has more than 51% of the revenue/goal, they get a special bonus reward.
I was thinking that this could be built on counterparty.co but really my passion is and has always been with Ethereum.

I would love to hear your thoughts...

If anyone is interested in building this out, I'd love to give those people a cut of the site revenue.

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Yes and Yes.

Couple of comments: in ethereum, hosting the site == subsidy on visits. Vlad is working on that model. This is a problem, in particular for community votes on designs (which cost something, and reduces network effects)

How much you spend on hosting is likely 5x to 1000x less from what you stand to profit on the sales themselves. Therefore the idea is to flip the model on its head - 51 attack as a coop?

Would love to work on this idea with you.
  • giannidalertagiannidalerta Miami, FLMember Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    @Stephan_Tual‌ Can you expand on your first paragraph a bit.

Hosting was just one example. There are a couple of expenses. Cost to manage the site (people resource), paying to get shirts printed I have found a printer which has a full API even though I would love to empower my current printer, however we could use the API driven one as a proof of concept. In order to be viable in the next 1 or 2 years, the system would need to be able to accept CC to appeal to mass users. So there will be fees to pay on that to. We can offer an incentive for crypto payments. The key is the token given to the contributer/seller/etc. shipping costs,

marketing/advertising (would not be needed if the network promotes itself)

I love the ideas of shares, but that gets tricky as in this model the sellers do not have any "legal" right to vote on what the site does. I have seen the ability to do a LLC/LLP type business where new people can be added in. However that just complicates the whole thing at this stage.

The coop idea works, but I do not want to pay everyone out, just because, only those who work for it. Hence the monthly payout, almost like a commission. This would gamify the site give people the want to both contribute and promote not only their own work but the work of others and the site itself.

This could be turned into a DAO eventually or even a DAC when the legalities are figured out.

Lastly there would need to be a way for the site to be curated. Maybe users can have filtered shop views. I think there is a lot of crap on zazzle.com but there seems to be some great work on etsy.com the site acts like a publication of sort, because the employees of etsy curate featured items etc.

Keep the convo going. :)

Having a chat with a dev I connected with on Reddit. Orhan, I will need to think how the pool gets distributed:

Seller A sells 100 - 10%
    Seller B sells 200 - 20%
    Seller C sells 200 - 20%
    Seller D sells 500 - 50%

Total sales 1000 - 100%

Let's assume a sale generates $10. Total sales are $10k. Site takes $5k.

$2.5k is distributed to the sellers directly
    A gets $250
    B gets $500
    C gets $500
    D gets $1000
    (total $2.5K)

$2.5k is put into the "pool"
    If we share them based on % of sales:
    A gets $250
    B gets $500
    C gets $500
    D gets $1000
    (total $2.5K)

This is exactly the same as if we would have just distributed the money (50%) to the sellers directly
    so what to give more of, individual sales, or contributing to the site as well whole.

What KPI can I create to make the payout...

Sales, tweets, loyalty.