Boyise's RX480 (REF) BIOS V2 - DUAL Mining

Comments

• zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    Is there anyway to reset settings after flashed bios without installed wattman ? And can somobody of more experienced people can give a clear explanation about the mem voltage(the one in wattman). Can it be lower then core voltage, does it save watts one lowered, and can it be efectively lowered to lets say 900?

Thanks!
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

boysie - can you create the rom also for the Sapphire 480 RX Nitro 8GB Nitro ? Or just explain what tools should i play with ?

It's just copy and paste in Polaris BIOS Editor.
    careful though, not all settings should be copied.....I've not checked the nitro 8GB rom or its timings etc, maybe leave the power alone and just mess with clocks and use its timings it has can copy the 1750 to the 2000 etc.

I cant really do this with out testing and as I don't have one you are on your own sorry. hopefully others with them cards will like you start doing the same and producing some basic setups for others to use...

@Wolf0

did that 470 Bios ever pass testing or did you find issues? you were messing with it last time we chatted. 4GB doing 28Mh I think you said.

not seen any thing come out though.

Boysie
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

boysie - can you create the rom also for the Sapphire 480 RX Nitro 8GB Nitro ? Or just explain what tools should i play with ?

careful though, not all settings should be copied.....I've not checked the nitro 8GB rom or its timings etc, maybe leave the power alone and just mess with clocks and use its timings it has can copy the 1750 to the 2000 etc.

I cant really do this with out testing and as I don't have one you are on your own sorry. hopefully others with them cards will like you start doing the same and producing some basic setups for others to use...

@Wolf0

did that 470 Bios ever pass testing or did you find issues? you were messing with it last time we chatted. 4GB doing 28Mh I think you said.

Boysie
    for 470 4gb, use polaris bios editor and put the 1500 memory straps to the higher ones. I'm getting 28+ dual mining, power consumption is good, about equal to the 480 modded power consumption optimized, I don't know if its a bit better or worse though. Let me know your findings on the flashed 480 vs flashed 470 for mhs/power consumption

oh and with the 470 4gb flashed I use 2000mhz memory with 850mv memory. stock core clock with 950mv core

480 flashed to heliox original modded bios at -7.5%core/920mv 2200mem/920mv
    Post edited by Truthchanter on
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    @boysie to answer your question from earlier, 6785 I believe it was, referred to the last 4 of the ROM that MSI and a few others have in common, including a sapphire rom I believe.
    Heliox said:

Hey thanks. I first tried your 31.5 rom (which has 2275 as the minimum ram) and was only getting 27-28mhs ( i didn't try eth only though). Actually that was at dcri 30 and when i brought it down to 22 it lowered the mhs too!? It was consuming tons of watts too, the lowest mem voltage i could do was 1000 (or 975 may have been stable i can't remember). However it seemed the core voltage couldn't go any lower than this high mem voltage.

I'm trying Heliox's original 480 modded bios and having more luck. I'm able to put the mem at 2125 and keep the mem voltage at 900 and core voltage at 900 (haven't tried lower yet. Getting 28mhs dual mining dcri 30. 420+ sia and much lower watts at the wall than the first modded bios.

I might try your low power one next but i don't know if I need to.. what is different about your mods and @Heliox ? Also I have always used power limit at 0%, is it worth using more or less?

The difference.

I do it like this:

And almost eveyrone else does it like this

It's like @Wolf0 always says "We do it by "paw"" :tongue:
    @Heliox will you bless us with another ROM? I dare not go into my bios after recent attempts that ended sour. I would love to test a few out though now thatI have mastered teh unbricking method. cheers!
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

@Wolf0

Boysie
    I got a 4GB above 27, but not to 28MH/s. Heliox hasn't supplied a 470 VBIOS yet, so it'd be stupid to release one while there's none available.

boysie said:

Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

@Wolf0

Boysie
    for 470 4gb, use polaris bios editor and put the 1500 memory straps to the higher ones. I'm getting 28+ dual mining, power consumption is good, about equal to the 480 modded power consumption optimized, I don't know if its a bit better or worse though. Let me know your findings on the flashed 480 vs flashed 470 for mhs/power consumption

oh and with the 470 4gb flashed I use 2000mhz memory with 850mv memory. stock core clock with 950mv core

I'll visit the 470 rig this weekend and try this. 28 does sound amazing, they are Sapphire RX480 Nitro 4GB Nitro so if all goes well i'll pop some thing out

Boysie
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    idanfei said:

I could share the rom with u
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    boysie said:

I think some one said on another thread blue screen is core, black screen or driver crash is mem.

Remember to use reset in wattman.

Boysie

Yes. Blue is mem!
    cscheat said:

boysie said:

I think some one said on another thread blue screen is core, black screen or driver crash is mem.

Boysie

Yes. Blue is mem!
    because I'm nearly always remote I don't see what any of it is...it just disappears from vnc ...possibly still pings but mostly not.

I just remote kill the power and turn it back on again to get it back

so which one is what then if mem is blue?
    @boysie did we find out why folks are having issues with slowly leaking MH/s over time?

@boysie did we find out why folks are having issues with slowly leaking MH/s over time?

not yet....been away. will look at 470 oc nitro mod this weekend if I get time will slap a sapphire rom version on the sapphires 480s instead of a xfx version and see if that fixes it happening on them. they work fine at 31.25 but not at 31.5 and exhibit that issue. So I can repro it here just not sure why yet.

Boysie
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    boysie said:

BLUE -> MEM

BLACK -> CORE

If you can ping it then it the black screen, so Core. (Parts of the system still respond.)
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

boysie said:

Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

@Wolf0

Boysie

I'll visit the 470 rig this weekend and try this. 28 does sound amazing, they are Sapphire RX480 Nitro 4GB Nitro so if all goes well i'll pop some thing out

Boysie
    If this is remotely possible 2000mhz/850mv i doubt its valid for every 470. Its more likely you just modded the bios with these settings and you didnt in wattman/wattmon and your wattage is higher. How much Power it shows in GPU-Z? It should be 75-78W (corresponded to 120W @ wall) and how much is the vddc reported in gpu-z, is it really 0.9500 ?
    zorvalth said:

boysie said:

boysie said:

Wolf0 said:

idanfei said:

@Wolf0

Boysie

Boysie
    If this is remotely possible 2000mhz/850mv i doubt its valid for every 470. Its more likely you just modded the bios with these settings and you didnt in wattman/wattmon and your wattage is higher. How much Power it shows in GPU-Z? It should be 75-78W (corresponded to 120W @ wall) and how much is the vddc reported in gpu-z, is it really 0.9500 ?
    i didn't mod the bios to be 2000mhz/850mv. The only thing i did in the bios mod was put the 1500 mem strap timings to 1625, 1750, and 2000. I have the 2000mhz/850mv for mem set in wattman. Also the core is set to either 0% or -7.5% and the core voltage is at 950mv. Getting about 28mhs with gpuz showing 90-95w and .93v vddc.

One thing i heard is that one of the voltages can't be lower than the other, so maybe even though the mem is set to 850mv, its running at 950 since the core is set to that?
    edited September 2016
    470 4gb: better watts in gpuz 80-82.5w @ 28mhs dual mining dcri 19.... -12.5%(1065)/880mv and 2000/850mv
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    @boysie bro i flashed your rom the 31.5 and the 31.25
    both start good with 0 shares
    then the speed down to 25 ~ 28 with shares
    the mining speed is not stable
    i run claymore Eth only into Sapphire amd Rx 480 8GB
    any ideas ?
    other question for xfx rx 480 , they good with u at 31.25 all the time ?
    i can get them cheap specially the black GT edition
    thanks bro
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭

any ideas ?
    thanks bro

How cheap? Where?
    zono said:

any ideas ?
    thanks bro

How cheap? Where?
    used from used forums
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

cscheat said:

boysie said:

Boysie

Yes. Blue is mem!
    because I'm nearly always remote I don't see what any of it is...it just disappears from vnc ...possibly still pings but mostly not.

I just remote kill the power and turn it back on again to get it back

how do you kill remote power via VNC?>
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Sorry to cross post, but Here's the rom I'm using on my 480 devil. I added boysie's settings (from the 31.25 v2 rom) from powerplay, powertune, gpu, memory and timing (1500 to 1625, 1625 to 1750, 1750 to 2000) to the unlocked 480 devil rom.

Dual mining running solid for a few days now: -ethi 16 (29.9 - 30.4) -dcri 22 (322 - 335) and -tt -100

Power @ the wall is about 204w w/ EVGA G2 1600. The only difference between the devil and ref cards is the temps (GPU 3 is the devil, the others are ref cards).

edited September 2016

any ideas ?
    thanks bro

I have the same issue on my 2 sapphires....my thoughts are that sapphire have some thing in their own rom that requires their rom for sapphires. I will work on this this weekend if I can get some time.

If you back of the mem speed it should resolve temp until I have a chance to look at this.

I expect the xfx are bang on because I used a xfx rom as the starting point. so they fit well.

Boyise
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    I can get Sapphire RX 480 4GB Nitro+ for 245 euro. So this card is not yet good for mining, eg. it gives just 21-25 mh/s for ethereum mining ?
    boysie said:

any ideas ?
    thanks bro

I have the same issue on my 2 sapphires....my thoughts are that sapphire have some thing in their own rom that requires their rom for sapphires. I will work on this this weekend if I can get some time.

If you back of the mem speed it should resolve temp until I have a chance to look at this.

I expect the xfx are bang on because I used a xfx rom as the starting point. so they fit well.

Boyise
    i looked at card Temp at 84 C
    Actually the room temp is 32~ 37
    increased the Fan speed to 75 % at Claymore Miner the temp gone 72 C
    the hashrate is stable at 31.1 MHS

Thanks bro for the idea

for your XFX stable at which temp and fan speed and Hash rate ?
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    offtopic: has anyone tried this rom on xmr? what is h/s hashrate for monero?
    I used @boysie rom v2 and tweaked it a little bit as one of my MSI's did not take well to the memory and kept dropping mh's SEVERELY after a few minutes. Seemed like throttling but the temps were fine. I then realized that there are several manufacturers for memory and not every card is equal, even if it is the same brand. I have 3 MSI 480 and 1 doesnt like any sort of flashed bios. I was able to finally get it set correctly. Almost 12 hour run and solid as a rock.
    Attached is a tweaked rom I use.
    @boysie go into your settings and turn shader cache off if your having bsod or failure. Or try the attached rom and see how it does.
  • niubbo1969niubbo1969 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    why some bios is only 256 kb??? polaris bios editor says the standard is 512kb......
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    just flash it, 256kb