Boyise's RX480 (REF) BIOS V2 - DUAL Mining

Comments

• RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 8
    Boysie, i try to load you Bios, fail, and mention SubsytemIDs mismatch. any idea
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Change it to your ids and it will work ;)
  • Dev222Dev222 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2016
    Raoul said:

Boysie, i try to load you Bios, fail, and mention SubsytemIDs mismatch. any idea

I had the same error, the solution:

- rename bios to 'bios.bin' and place in atiflash folder
    - run cmd as admin
    - cd to atiflash folder
    - use command 'atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.bin'

From https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4rfo2h/flashing_guide_rx480_4gb_to_8gb/
  • RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 8
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    use "atiflash -f -p 0 file.rom" option!
  • WoolingJumperWoolingJumper Member Posts: 32
    Sigh... The greedy side of my brain wants to try this ROM flashing thing but the techie side of my brain is throttling big time. Jargons are eating me up lol just want to push my 6 x HIS RX 480 reference rig to at least 180mh/s ETH only. Not sure also if my 1000 watt corsair PSU can handle this.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

Nice^^
    Will test it when iam home from work.
    Thanks for your sharing ;)

PS: a super low power rom would be nice xD

It could be done better with offsets, but @boysie would have issues doing so, I'd imagine. I use them on my 470s and 480s.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Please elaborate wolf.
    oakey22 said:

Please elaborate wolf.

Voltage offsets can be used for DPM states - there's a base voltage, which is an index into the voltage table in the ROM, which @boysie can edit because it's available in the Polaris BIOS Editor - you just change the entry and it updates the voltage table for you. What it doesn't let you do is let the offset step down the voltage, which is also possible.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Get you now Wolf :) thanks for explaining.

No idea how to do it though :)

Off to read Google for a bit
  • atti2katti2k HungaryMember Posts: 2
    I try this : atiflash -f -p 0 file.rom nothing
    Later i try this : atiwinflash -f -p 0 file.rom reboot code 43 :pensive: and gpu3 rom error all card same rx 480 ref.
    Why not work for me?
    After 6h the system fucks up, when iam at home i will look what caused the problem...

Ubuntu my Ass.....
  • KesudaKesuda Member Posts: 1
    Using your rom 31.25 on Window with Custom His rx 480 8gb, but i get only 28Mhz
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    Kesuda said:

Using your rom 31.25 on Window with Custom His rx 480 8gb, but i get only 28Mhz

custom? so not ref?
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    m/h fades on third gpu slowly but surely. never seen that.
    check fan speed, i got one card today with falling hashrate to 24-25 mhps. it has only 40% of fan speed and temp 84. i reset wattman but no result. will go deeper tomorrow
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    what about the warranty on the cards after we flash custom rom ? does warranty voids and can they found out if the stock rom was changed even if the gpu is dead
    cviper said:

what about the warranty on the cards after we flash custom rom ? does warranty voids and can they found out if the stock rom was changed even if the gpu is dead

if the card can be re-flashed to stock I expect even if they can see It has been flashed I doubt they can prove the BIOS caused the failure or prove that you used a non official BIOS. But if the card goes back to them with a BIOS that's not theirs its up to them depending on the problem to refuse the replacement classing it as out side of warranty damage.

If you can flash it back to stock do so before sending it back, if you cant eg it wont power up then it would take a technician to fix the card or instigate it using pcb investigation tools only available to service centers for the card manufacture to establish what happened and why and ascertain the version of the BIOS used, for a card worth possibly only £100 it seems like a lot of work

my 2p

Boysie
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82

After 6h the system fucks up, when iam at home i will look what caused the problem...

Ubuntu my Ass.....

The more GPU you add to the RIG, the more likely this will happen. Some cards may not like memory above 2200. Most of my cards work with the old Boyside 31.8 ROM but when I have them together on my 4, 6 and 7 GPU rigs, it would crash between 5mins to a few hrs. So as Boysie said, try lowering memory down to 2000 and work your way slowly up. I find the ROMs at 2200 or below the most stable when you have either mix GPU or many GPU 6-7 rigs.

@boysie - Great work as usual. These are good numbers.
    still going, about to test claymores 6.4 as it has this:

- fixed issue with a bit lower mining speed of previous version (AMD cards).

@boysie

Can i set the memvolt lower in the rom for my Linux system?

They consume too much.

@boysie

Can i set the memvolt lower in the rom for my Linux system?

They consume too much.

You can set core volts lower - which will likely help you more. Since you can't use offsets without editing it raw, try lowering the DPM state.
    Thanks a lot ;)
    I will try this.
  • idanfeiidanfei Member Posts: 3
    Is it possible to flash the rom of the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 with the same rom as for the 480 ref?
    edited August 2016
    Never mind, since cannot replicate.
    Post edited by Wolf0 on
    muzzy124 said:

check fan speed, i got one card today with falling hashrate to 24-25 mhps. it has only 40% of fan speed and temp 84. i reset wattman but no result. will go deeper tomorrow

i tried to swap cards in slots and after that fan speed of cards swapped too, so it was a drivers issue
    had to reinstall drivers, now fan speed is ok
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    idanfei said:

Is it possible to flash the rom of the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 with the same rom as for the 480 ref?

NO !
  • lefferalganlefferalgan Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2016
    Guys,

When yous say 480 reference, you talk about which card ?

Thx in advance
    all ref cards look exactly the same...because they at ethe same..jsut mostly different bios flashed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2848/radeon-rx-480
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2016
    Just started to flash my cards, all reference 8Gb
    I have one card in a rig now flashed with the 31.25 bios.

I have followed:
    1) this is my personal step...remove all cards but 1
    2) boot into windows
    3) reset card in wattman and reboot
    4) flash card with desired rom, load up atiwinflash with admin
    5) click save, and backup your current ROM
    6) close the pop up once done
    7) Click load and select new BIOS
    8) click program
    9) wait...screen will hang for about 30-40 secs dont panic.
    10) on confirmation box close
    11) close app
    12) in device manager right click g-card and uninstall. don't tick.
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    16) hit 4 on option screen
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

But i end up like this:
    http://i63.tinypic.com/30ker8n.jpg

I was running the 16.7.2 driver before starting the guide.
    I am running Win 10.
    Anyone know what i am doing wrong ?