Mining with GTX 1060

2»

Comments

• ElementElement Member Posts: 8
    i think the bottom line is, the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X and X+ just suck. I suspect they are using the same memory controller they used in the 1080 which is causing all sorts of performance problems. Probably an MCU built for GDDR5X and they are using it with older overclocked GDDR5, with crap timings, and no way to adjust them, resulting in a factory crappy OC that you could have done better by yourself a year ago on an older card. ETH 21.2M max OC on the MSI cards. I get 25.5 on some other manufacturer's year older GTX 1060 6G. Somebody said it could be a bios bug. somebody said it could be a driver issue. All I know is that this quad data rate memory controller is total crap.
  • misterdkmisterdk Member Posts: 5
    Element said:

i think the bottom line is, the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X and X+ just suck. I suspect they are using the same memory controller they used in the 1080 which is causing all sorts of performance problems. Probably an MCU built for GDDR5X and they are using it with older overclocked GDDR5, with crap timings, and no way to adjust them, resulting in a factory crappy OC that you could have done better by yourself a year ago on an older card. ETH 21.2M max OC on the MSI cards. I get 25.5 on some other manufacturer's year older GTX 1060 6G. Somebody said it could be a bios bug. somebody said it could be a driver issue. All I know is that this quad data rate memory controller is total crap.

Mind sharing on which models you got those hashrates and with which settings ?
  • unclesamunclesam Member Posts: 1
    few days ago I saw some screenshots 1060 6gb giving 29MH/400 sia
    don't know how exactly they did it. And they don't sell this patch anymore for some dev rights but it works.
    any idea how they did it? anymore smart guys?
  • ex4byteex4byte Member Posts: 1
    Bought 6x1060 6G from Gigabyte. Three of them have 15 MH/s out of the box while the other have 19 MH/s. The issue is the memory. When you have Samsung or Micron you are fine. Hynix is crap an results in low hashrates. Check it with GPU-Z!

With OC i get 116 MH/s. At least the cards are very efficient so the system consumption is only 480 W with a power limit of 55 % and Memory Clock of 390 MHz. So the Hashrate/W ratio isn´t that bad.
  • ElementElement Member Posts: 8
    got the good gtx 1060 doing 26 mh/s each, no dev fee, 50c, under 100 watts. =)
    gosh i wish i had just stuck with those....
  • bendzy1107bendzy1107 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone heard or know a solution for Hynix memory...iv bought 10 of theese cant get over 15mhs
  • netienetie Member Posts: 2
    I've got a rig with 6 hynix memory 1060 cards. I bought another card with 6 GB samsung memory and replaced one of the hynix cards for testing. Then I noticed that one of my hynix 3 GB cards started showing 21 Mh/s when it worked along with the 6 GB samsung card. The 21 Mh/s 3 Gb card was listed right after the new 6 Gb card in MSI AB (hynix card was 6th, samsung card was 5th). So maybe there is a way to get more Mh/s out of hynix cards if they are sharing a rig with samsung memory cards. I didn't have enough time for testing because I had to construct a new rig from the new cards, but my guess is that it might help if you use Samsung memory GPU as a primary card (must be displayed first in MSI AB) and other 5 hynix cards installed after that.
  • cryptobearcryptobear Member Posts: 1
    I have a bunch of the 3GB cards which I am combining with some 8GB 1070 ones. Is the low RAM of 3GB becoming an issue soon on these cards?

I would guess the Ethereum DAG still fits to RAM but is growing big? Do you always put 3GB cards to a pool (your own?) or otherwise combine them with larger cards?

Currently 3GB cards seem to go for somewhat over 200 eur while 6GB puts you back a bit over 300 eur, so in short term the preference would be clear, but how about long term... Also do the 6GB cards already have some edge over the 3GB versions?
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    Is there a way to know wich cards has hynix memory?
    Important to know wich to purchase.. ofcourse it isnt in the tech specs on online shops..
  • MLN84MLN84 Member Posts: 48
    I usually google the cards' names together with "gpu-z" and look at the results from google image search. If you're lucky, you find screenshots from the tool, showing the vram type and manufacturer.
  • JvZJvZ Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2017
    I've got a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 with Samsung memory. For me it does about 23.6MH/s overclocked and stable. Default was just over 18MH/s.
    Using Win10 Pro 1703. nvidia driver 382.53.
    Overclocked at +180core/+920mem with 70% PL, [email protected] I can easily do +200/+1000, but got more invalid shares that way so i reduced it a bit. Also I'm running a closed case with barely any ventilation, otherwise the temps would most likely be much lower.

Because i use the same card for gaming i didn't want to stress it too much. I switch to default clocks while gaming and also stop mining during gaming (most of the time).
    Having Firefox and about 30 tabs open lowers my current hash rate by 1MH/s, so make sure you check your rates only when everything else is closed.

I've seen people here say they only achieved 3MH/s and tried many complicated ways to resolve this including reinstalling their system twice. My cousin had this very same issue with a 1060 3GB. He fixed it easily by just updating his driver to the latest 38x.xx series. He also runs a GTX970 for mining in the same system and that one required the older driver. That runs 2,5MH/s after updating to the latest driver. That again was fixable by enabling "optimize for computing" in the nvidia control panel for the 970 (option is only available to the 900 series). He gets around 19-20MHS on the 970 and 22ish on the 1060 (note: he's not very experienced in overclocking, so he might be able to get more out of them).

Also if i can give advice on drivers: never use the manufacturer's driver for nvidia or AMD cards, always use the ones provided by either nvidia or AMD.

Here's a screenshot for some proof, you can see by the hash rates i had Firefox open :neutral:

edited July 2017
    I've got a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 with Samsung memory. For me it does about 23.6MH/s overclocked and stable. Default was just over 18MH/s.
    Overclocked at +180core/+920mem with 70% PL, [email protected] I can easily do +200/+1000, but got more invalid shares that way so i reduced it a bit. Also I'm running a closed case with barely any ventilation, otherwise the temps would most likely be much lower.

Because i use the same card for gaming i didn't want to stress it too much. I switch to default clocks while gaming and also stop mining during gaming (most of the time).
    Having Firefox and about 30 tabs open lowers my current hash rate by 1MH/s, so make sure you check your rates only when everything else is closed.

I've seen people here say they only achieved 3MH/s with the 1060 series and tried many complicated ways to resolve this including reinstalling their system twice. My cousin had this very same issue with a 1060 3GB. He fixed it easily by just updating his nvidia driver to the latest 38x.xx series. He also runs a GTX970 for mining in the same system and that one required the older driver. That runs 2,5MH/s after updating to the latest driver. That again was fixable for this latest driver by enabling "optimize for computing" in the nvidia control panel for the 970 (option is only available to the 900 series). I hope this helps someone. He gets around 19-20MHS on the 970 and 22ish on the 1060 (note: he's not very experienced in overclocking, so he might be able to get more out of them).

Here's some proof where you can see by the hash rates i had Firefox open :neutral:
    Save the image or if you have Firefox right-click + View image to zoom in properly.

Cousin is using genoil's ethminer. I'm using Claymore myself.
    Post edited by JvZ on

I've seen people here say they only achieved 3MH/s with the 1060 series and tried many complicated ways to resolve this including reinstalling their system twice. My cousin had this very same issue with a 1060 3GB. He fixed it easily by just updating his nvidia driver to the latest 38x.xx series. He also runs a GTX970 for mining in the same system and that one required the older driver. That runs 2,5MH/s after updating to the latest driver. That again was fixable by enabling "optimize for computing" in the nvidia control panel for the 970 (option is only available to the 900 series). I hope this helps someone. He gets around 19-20MHS on the 970 and 22ish on the 1060 (note: he's not very experienced in overclocking, so he might be able to get more out of them).

Here's some proof where you can see by the hash rates i had Firefox open :neutral:
    Save the image or if you have Firefox right-click + View image to zoom in properly.

Cousin is using genoil's ethminer. I'm using Claymore myself.
  • zuzuxzuzux Member Posts: 40
    i got problem amd 480 and 1060 in same pc ,and i want to run eth in claymore amd+nvidia ,program
    problem is amd have 28 mh 1060 have 2-3 mh ,how to fix that ?
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2017
    Ok.. nice tool this gpu z.
    The cards have samsung memory here.

Mem clock +800
    Core clock 0
    Max power 80%

Hashing 23Mh/s each.

When i increase core clock it all freezes.. so i leave it hashing like this.
    Post edited by DjithBit on
  • josftxjosftx Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with MSI GTX 1060 Gamining X 6GB. Only have 3 MH/s of hashrate.. driver update works?? to 376.33??
  • _pablo_pablo Member Posts: 8
    Hello! I am currently mining eth with a rig x6 gtx 1060 3G with the following configuration (Core 120 - Memory 1785 - Power 122 - Temp 71 ° - Max Fan 60%), and it is giving me (25.07Mhas) 150Mhas and tem 55~58 ° C, does anyone have a better configuration? Thanks!°
  • GluthonGluthon Member Posts: 2
    netie said:

I've got a rig with 6 hynix memory 1060 cards. I bought another card with 6 GB samsung memory and replaced one of the hynix cards for testing. Then I noticed that one of my hynix 3 GB cards started showing 21 Mh/s when it worked along with the 6 GB samsung card. The 21 Mh/s 3 Gb card was listed right after the new 6 Gb card in MSI AB (hynix card was 6th, samsung card was 5th). So maybe there is a way to get more Mh/s out of hynix cards if they are sharing a rig with samsung memory cards. I didn't have enough time for testing because I had to construct a new rig from the new cards, but my guess is that it might help if you use Samsung memory GPU as a primary card (must be displayed first in MSI AB) and other 5 hynix cards installed after that.

so did u test it? hynix cards are fixed now?
  • xyberxyber Member Posts: 40
    netie said:

I also have 3 GTX1060 Hynix cards and was really disappointed that it cannot reach past 19MHs.
    It would be great if you can share if this totally fixes your issue.
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    ok, so I want to buy some 1060 gpu's with samsung/micron memory.
    Can you tell me which brand/model has samsung?
    One could be EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING ACX 2 with samsung?