Mining with GTX 1060

VaudreuilVaudreuil Member Posts: 15
Ok,
So first off, my philosophy is a bit different from others here, maybe most.
SOE is AMD CPUs, Nvidia GPUs and Linux OS - if something doesn't fit into that box I generally don't do it.
Also, I'm lazy (and old) so I usually just get my code from the repos or as debs.

I run 12 cards in 6 rigs (standard cases actually, but I've been the whole crate route in the past.) Currently I'm hitting about 205Mhs and I don't pay for electricity.
5 rigs are in my (small) living room so there's a 10K BTU window air conditioner in there as well.

So I was looking forward to the 1060s and 3 weeks ago I got a pair of MSI 1060 6GB cards and I'm really happy with them.
Reporting 36 Mhs for the pair and averaging 35Mhs as actual.
Stock settings, running ethminer, fans set to 45% and 40%, temps are 55c for each card.

And yesterday I took delivery of 2 Gigabyte 1060 6GB cards to finish my final rig.
Hashrate should be about the same - eventually. Less happy this time.
So I posted a couple of reviews on Newegg.ca which is where all the cards came from and I thought I'd reproduce them here.

5 out of 5 eggs
Great mining card
08/23/2016

This review is from: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
Pros:
Fast , cool
Bang for the buck
Rock solid 18Mhs at stock with Linux and ethminer from repos.

Cons:
Bang for the buck?
Bought 2 of these 21 days ago for $370 CDN each.
Now they are $481 CDN. Up $111 in three weeks??!
Because the gamers love them so much? A card you cannot SLI?
Is it Newegg or MSI? Way to gouge buddy.

1 out of 5 eggs
Worst mining card ever!
08/23/2016

This review is from: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD Video Card
Pros:
Short

Cons:
Hot.
So the two I ordered came yesterday - stuck them in a rig, fired it up, fans at 40% otherwise stock settings running ethminer.
5 minutes later the top card is showing 82c at about 105w.
Cranked the fans up to 75% - over 2000rpm - temp drops to about 75c
Turn off fan control and undervolted to 80 watts - temps are now in the 70s, no loss of hashrate, fans are at about 50%.
Undervolt to 70 watts - yes! 70WATTS- now the temps are at 68C - which is about the same as the power draw, hashrate drops 3Mhs.
So I have a card which actually produces 1 degree c of heat for every watt of power it uses. WOW!
Of the 12 Nvidia cards that I run the next hottest is a 980 classy at 59c, and that sits right on top of a 980ti.

Other Thoughts:
Hot.
Really hot.
Really, really hot.
Like a pizza oven.
Buy one of these for Xmas - give it to someone you hate.
My only air-cooled 980ti runs at 53c and it's pulling 150w+.
This is NOT a qc issue, this is by design - shoddy design and a fu attitude.
I have 2 Gigabyte 970 triple fan cards - they have been running 24/7 for over 9 months. Zero problems.
Now this.
No refunds, no exchanges, RMA for two more of the same. Cost of shipping, loss of use.
Just have to wait until the fans burn out - which they will. Then RMA and sell the new cards to a gamer.
And add Gigabyte to my shitlist.

So, those are the reviews
Here's some proof -

OK, so I had to sit and wait a bit for the wattage to fluctuate to get that exact match.

Comments

• ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    I have acquired a lone 1060 for testing. My farm has more than 50 AMD cards. So I would say that I have a fair bit of experience with mining. They all run under Linux just fine.
    So, I tried compiling for cuda mining and I can't get it right. In the end had to install Windows before I could get the 1060 going.
    My query. Can you point out what exactly you downloaded to get it working in Linux?
  • VaudreuilVaudreuil Member Posts: 15
    @ethfan
    You need to add the repos to Synaptic.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum - also I add
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum-qt
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum-dev

Update the repos and then search for "ethereum" and "ethminer"
    Those will pull in all the other bits and pieces.
    You may not actually need ethereum if you are just mining but it's a habit I have now and I sometimes use geth.

Then open a terminal and -
    ethminer --farm-recheck 200 -G -F http://10.42.0.1:8080/rig id
    or similar.

I used to be a big fan of AMD cards particularly because of the DP floating point.
    But increasing driver problems and the introduction of the Maxwell cores sent me to team blue.

Genoil's Cuda only works on Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10 (I think) which is the main reason I don't use it.
    But there are no AMD drivers available for 16.04 so 14.04 / 14.10 is probably the way to go.

But there is one other problems with Linux / AMD from my perspective.
    The utility AMDOverdriveCtrl is no longer supported.
    This is just a GTK front end for the AMD command line utility but it is / was really excellent.
    Enabled you to over/under clock and to set temperature/fan gradients.

The image I posted is from the Nvidia-smi utility which is excellent but you have to set fixed values for the fan speeds

Hope that helps.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to explain. Looks like you are using the original ethminer rather than genoil's. I should try that.
    And definitely go with 14.04 as it is the LTS release. For adjusting the parms I use a combination of aticonfig/atitweak/atiflash.
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭
    @Vaudreuil - I bought the single fan Gigabyte 1060 gtx here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125903&cm_re=1060_gigabyte_6gb-_-14-125-903-_-Product

I compared it against a PNY 1060 2 fan, long card. They both ran at 66c with stock settings, so maybe you got a bad Gigabyte card? I don't know why a two fan version would run so hot. Also, the watt per hash ratio is aweseome

On another note, I was able to get claymore on win 7 , 64 to finally get this card to mine @ around 19MH/s.
    Unfortunately when I put it in a Win 10 Pro machine, with the same drivers, and cuda toolkit, it will not mine correctly.. any help on 1060 mining is appreciated (on win 10)
  • dat_boidat_boi Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2016
    I have the MSI GTX 1060 3GB and I can do up to 24Mh/s with it, windows 10 anniversary update, claymore miner, latest drivers, MSi afterburner for overclocking, ethereum only. You can get over 23Mh/s with a 62% power limit just add +200Mhz on the core and +900 - 1000Mhz on the memory (can differ from card to card). You want to max out the memory and then adjust the power limit with the +200Mhz offset on the core to your efficiency/hashrate likings.

I'm currently running ~23.5Mh/s with 65% PL +200/1000.

You can tip me eth at: 0x6Fd004d638031aaCB6409AE6dA9Ad5eA915678f7
    Post edited by dat_boi on
  • luthorluthor Member Posts: 34
    dat_boi said:

I have GTX 1060 3GB and I can do up to 24Mh/s with it, windows 10 anniversary update, claymore miner, latest drivers, MSi afterburner for overclocking, ethereum only. You can get over 23Mh/s with 62% power limit just add +200Mhz on the core and +900 - 1000Mhz on the memory. You want to max memory and then adjust the power limit for higher core frequency to your energy efficiency/hashrate likings.

You can tip me at: 0x6Fd004d638031aaCB6409AE6dA9Ad5eA915678f7

Can you tell me your GPU Temp?
    edited September 2016
    The cheapest MSI Dual fan model 55°C open case, core doesn't even break a sweat at 60-70% power limit's voltage.
    @dat_boi - whats your watt usage with those settings. Ill tip ya if it works out because I think I am switching to NVidia because of the better resale value down the road. They are better cards for gamers..and everyone wants them. Much faster than a 480 too..
    edited September 2016
    I haven't measured it but it should be what you'd expect from the power limit you set (% PL from 120), unlike with AMD cards' GPU-Z readings which doesn't account for the whole card's power usage. Hashrate/watt is definitely with the Nvidia cards among other advantages. Nice efficiency comparison here
    Post edited by dat_boi on
  • SmokyishSmokyish Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    You should really use Genoils ethminer for Nvidia cards, you will get a lot better hashrate and you don't need to have the disk space for DAGs.

@ethfan If you're having trouble installing genoils, here's a quick guide on installing it on Ubuntu 16.04 (or derivatives of it).
    For the Nvidia 10xx series you want to download the Cuda 8.0RC and install that instead of 7.5.

wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1404/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install git cmake libcryptopp-dev libleveldb-dev libjsoncpp-dev libjsonrpccpp-dev libboost-all-dev libgmp-dev libreadline-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers mesa-common-dev libmicrohttpd-dev build-essential cuda -y
    git clone -b 110 https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum.git
    cd cpp-ethereum/
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
    make -j8
    cd ethminer
    ./ethminer -v

For 14.04, just change libjsonrpccpp-dev to libjson-rpc-cpp-dev
  • xeto1210xeto1210 Member Posts: 35
    dat_boi said:

I have the MSI GTX 1060 3GB and I can do up to 24Mh/s with it, windows 10 anniversary update, claymore miner, latest drivers, MSi afterburner for overclocking, ethereum only. You can get over 23Mh/s with a 62% power limit just add +200Mhz on the core and +900 - 1000Mhz on the memory (can differ from card to card). You want to max out the memory and then adjust the power limit with the +200Mhz offset on the core to your efficiency/hashrate likings.

dat_boi said:

Msi gtx 1060 3gb use 80w for 23.5Mh without modded bios?. . Can you give me some picture.? I'm not sure.
  • luthorluthor Member Posts: 34
    Did someone do the test dual mining ETH+LBRY ?
    @dat_boi Those settings are a good place to start, but kept crashing. I found a slightly safer settings with a EVGA 3GB short card that can do about 21Mh/s at only 65 watts from the wall..pretty cool.

Maybe the MSI has better memory
  • drRobertdrRobert Member Posts: 35
    What hell +30mhs with 1060 6gb ??? i didn't overclock it but with gigabyte version i have 24mhs on ethminer with cuda enable ... i miss something ???
    @drRobert im not sure where you see 30Mh ? Everyone is saying around 20Mh/s
  • dazzavazzadazzavazza Member Posts: 6
    When I altered afterburner settings to 200 cpu over and 1000 for memory my windows crashes....what is a reasonable increase in setting?
  • dtearthdtearth Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2017
    hey everyone. I've built my first rig and am having a great deal of trouble with my hashrate. All six cards are doing about 2.8 to 2.9mh/s for a total of 17.5 to 17.6. and that's overclocked. stock, they do about 15.5. I am running:

msi z170a gaming m5 motherboard
    6 6gb msi gtx 1060 gaming x 6g gpus
    All cards on risers
    Pentium g4400 3.3ghz
    8gb ram
    60gb 500mb/s solid state
    1500w psu

operating claymore in Windows 10 pro. I have the HDMI plugged into the motherboard.

I have tried different bios for motherboard (the may release and 1.D) no difference. I have gone through different bios setting guides and the common problem seems to be getting all six cards to work. I have got them all running, they are just hashing at a fraction of what they should be. I have run ddu uninstaller and reinstalled the drivers a number of times and installed cuda 8 and the windows c++ redistributable packages for visual studio. No matter the many different things I've tried, if the cards are hashing they are doing it at this speed. I dont know what I've missed.

has anyone had a similar problem or does this sound at all familiar to anybody? anyone have ideas of what i might have done wrong or what part of my setup is causing this? any help is greatly appreciated. this was quite an investment for me and is performing quite disappointingly. thank you for any help you offer
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    dtearth said:

hey everyone. I've built my first rig and am having a great deal of trouble with my hashrate. All six cards are doing about 2.8 to 2.9mh/s for a total of 17.5 to 17.6. and that's overclocked. stock, they do about 15.5. I am running:

All cards on risers
    Pentium g4400 3.3ghz
    8gb ram
    60gb 500mb/s solid state
    1500w psu

operating claymore in Windows 10 pro. I have the HDMI plugged into the motherboard.

I have tried different bios for motherboard (the may release and 1.D) no difference. I have gone through different bios setting guides and the common problem seems to be getting all six cards to work. I have got them all running, they are just hashing at a fraction of what they should be. I have run ddu uninstaller and reinstalled the drivers a number of times and installed cuda 8 and the windows c++ redistributable packages for visual studio. No matter the many different things I've tried, if the cards are hashing they are doing it at this speed. I dont know what I've missed.

has anyone had a similar problem or does this sound at all familiar to anybody? anyone have ideas of what i might have done wrong or what part of my setup is causing this? any help is greatly appreciated. this was quite an investment for me and is performing quite disappointingly. thank you for any help you offer

I Have same problem. Did you resolved it?
  • CainnGeeZzyCainnGeeZzy Member Posts: 2
    cveks said:

dtearth said:

All cards on risers
    Pentium g4400 3.3ghz
    8gb ram
    60gb 500mb/s solid state
    1500w psu

Have yas both got same GPU? Its it this GPU >> MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X+ 6G

This GPU has 9Gbps GDDR5 memory.. Am not expert but could it be the case? Can anyone else confirm?

Its like premium GTX1060 model... Costs 350+ EUR now..
    edited June 2017
    cveks said:

dtearth said:

All cards on risers
    Pentium g4400 3.3ghz
    8gb ram
    60gb 500mb/s solid state
    1500w psu

I have not figured it out yet. I'm actually happy just to find someone else with the same issue. I have one thing i want to try, which is disabling the onboard video through device manager. will try when i get home and let you know if it works. what's your setup? what have you tried so far?

I should also add that I followed cryptobadger's guide. this is the third page here, where i also commented, looking for help. http://www.cryptobadger.com/2017/04/build-ethereum-mining-rig-windows/#comments

two other people have posted there since myself with the same issue.

are you also using Windows?
    Post edited by dtearth on
  • boszbosz Member Posts: 3
    @dtearth please make sure you're on windows 10 anniversary update, please also try genoil miner with -U switch instead of -G (use CUDA not OpenCL).

Guys I'm having another issue, got 6x1060 rig with 5xMSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GT OC 3GB and 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 3GB. The thing is all cards are running the exact same clocks (according to MSI afterburner) and EVGA does ~23MH/s while the others do 19MH/s. These are overcloced settings, on stock they do 19MH/s and ~15MH/s respectively.
    As of GPU-z these are the exact same cards with exceptions of memory - Samsung vs Hynix. When mining the usage on EVGA is ~96%GPU 100% memory controller whereas on MSI it's 100%GPU and ~95% memory controller. Again clocks are the same.
    Have any of you notices such a big differences between two 1060's?
    edited June 2017
    bosz said:

@dtearth please make sure you're on windows 10 anniversary update, please also try genoil miner with -U switch instead of -G (use CUDA not OpenCL).

Guys I'm having another issue, got 6x1060 rig with 5xMSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GT OC 3GB and 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 3GB. The thing is all cards are running the exact same clocks (according to MSI afterburner) and EVGA does ~23MH/s while the others do 19MH/s. These are overcloced settings, on stock they do 19MH/s and ~15MH/s respectively.
    As of GPU-z these are the exact same cards with exceptions of memory - Samsung vs Hynix. When mining the usage on EVGA is ~96%GPU 100% memory controller whereas on MSI it's 100%GPU and ~95% memory controller. Again clocks are the same.
    Have any of you notices such a big differences between two 1060's?

I will try that. I decided to uninstall everyrhing and do a clean reinstall of Windows, then update to 1607. reinstall the 1.D BIOS to the motherboard, the drivers, then reinstall nvidia drivers. someone suggested disconnecting the vnc cable. I'm not using one as far as I know. Should i disconnect the HDMI and view it remotely? should I reinstall the c++ visual studio drivers as well? And do you know which mobo utilities I should install? all of them? some seem unnecessary, and i don't know if there are some that would interfere with mining. should I install all the GPU utilities as well? gaming app and all that? those dont all seem necessary either, but i don't know. I will reinstall the CUDA driver as well. not totally sure what else I should be thinking about. but thank you for the heads up on 1607
    Post edited by dtearth on
    I am happy with this update. I got it working. Each card is at just under 23mh/s for a total of 135 to 137mh/s. I'll tell you how I started over so maybe someone else can fix this issue too.
    First I put everything I would need on a flash drive so I wasn't downloading anything to the rig.
    I started with none of the GPUs plugged into the PCIE slots, as in I left all the risers unplugged from the motherboard. Still had them plugged into the PSU. I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, keep nothing. Next I installed the Windows anniversary update (Windows 10 1607). I realized at this point, I maybe could have just done 1607, because I went through the same process as when I reinstalled Windows the first time.
    I did NOT update Windows after at any time. I did use Badger's link to prevent Windows from auto-updating.
    Next, I installed the 1.D BIOS for the motherboard.
    Then I installed all of the drivers. There were two I could not install (The serial IO driver, which I found out was for tablets and touch pad devices. The other one was the Intel SGX, which I did not find a full understanding of what that is.
    I did not install any of the mobo utilities.
    Next I plugged the risers from the GPU into the motherboard. It seemed like it was installing those drivers on it's own. But, next I installed the GPU driver from MSI's site. After that, I installed all the GPU utilities from MSI's site. I even let GForce experience install, and I switched off the update notifications.
    Next I installed the visual c++ 2017 redistributable.
    I attempted to install CUDA after this but it said it wanted visual studio. So I went back to my PC and put visual studio community the flash drive and then went back to the rig.
    I installed visual studio community on the rig and tried CUDA again. It said still wasn't getting what it wanted from visual studio, so I did the install for visual studio enterprise (It's all available to install from that first visual studio file I downloaded). After this CUDA still said it wasn't getting the visual studio stuff it needed, so I just proceeded anyway with the installation.
    I also had the Claymore folder unzipped to that flash drive with my batch file already in it, so at this point, I just copied it to the desktop. BTW, I let all the apps put their shortcuts on the desktop too. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any custom settings during install on anything, I just made sure I disabled updating on everything.
    I did a reset before I fired up the miner, and there it was! mining like it's supposed to.
    Both times I've gone through the Windows setup, the option to not turn the screen off after a certain time has been there, but the option to not shut the rig down hasn't been available, until it's already shut itself down one time, so I've had to wait before I can set that to "never"

I hope this helps other people. Probably only if you have an identical or very similar setup. I got this to work for me with a lot of help from a few different forums.
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Hey guys!

I've been my whole life in red team, today received two of EVGA 1060 6gb ITX cards.
    I've seen some tutorials, I'm getting ~21,5 per card, but what I want to know regarding nvidia cards - should I play with undervolting in afterburner to save some electricity? I know thats a go with AMD cards.

Thanks!
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by Nebell on
  • mmatiasnmmatiasn Member Posts: 9
    @dtearth I'm having issues getting more than one card to be recognized by windows. Could you go over your mobo settings?
  • netienetie Member Posts: 2
    @dtearth I have exactly the same problem. All of my 6 GTX 1060 3 gb cards have Hynix memory and I can't get them above 19 Mh/S (stock is 15 Mh/s). I've done all the steps you suggested, but it didn't help. I wonder if you can run Hynix cards at 23Mh/s because you also got the other card with Samsung memory in the same rig? Also could you please report your current NVidia drivers version? Thanks.
  • mmatiasnmmatiasn Member Posts: 9
    Smokyish said:

You should really use Genoils ethminer for Nvidia cards, you will get a lot better hashrate and you don't need to have the disk space for DAGs.

@ethfan If you're having trouble installing genoils, here's a quick guide on installing it on Ubuntu 16.04 (or derivatives of it).
    For the Nvidia 10xx series you want to download the Cuda 8.0RC and install that instead of 7.5.

wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1404/x86_64/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1404_7.5-18_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install git cmake libcryptopp-dev libleveldb-dev libjsoncpp-dev libjsonrpccpp-dev libboost-all-dev libgmp-dev libreadline-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers mesa-common-dev libmicrohttpd-dev build-essential cuda -y
    git clone -b 110 https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum.git
    cd cpp-ethereum/
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer ..
    make -j8
    cd ethminer
    ./ethminer -v

For 14.04, just change libjsonrpccpp-dev to libjson-rpc-cpp-dev

I was not able to get this to work on 16.04. Did you intend to say 14.04?
  • oofrayoofray Member Posts: 1
    dtearth said:

All cards on risers
    Pentium g4400 3.3ghz
    8gb ram
    60gb 500mb/s solid state
    1500w psu

I also am running Nvidia cards in a Windows Rig.

I would advise you to try different drivers. And... here is a real kick in the head... for ME, the drivers that are recommended in the Claymore startup give me what YOU are getting - about 2.4 mH/s. Try 376.33. I get ~21mH/s out of 1060's and a tad over 30 from 1070's.

Not sure what the scoop is, but after running the 376.33 drivers without any issues (and good performance), I figured that maybe the recommended drive might get me a little more rate. It literally cut my hashrate to 12.5% of what is had been.

Try 376.33.
  • kenelykakenelyka Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2017
    So guys, I've ordered 4x of the following GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6GB GDDR5 192 BIT for 305 euro/each.

As far I've seen here, there are complaints about it. Should I keep 'em? Also, is there anyone here which has this one working that could provide me it's standard and OC hashrate/consumption? Thanks!