Hi there,

I just brought this rig

CPU: Pentium G3250
M/B: Biostar H81S2
RAM: 4GB DDR3
PSU: Superflower Leadex Platinum 1200w
GPU: RX480 8GB Ref x 4
Riser: Ver 002 x 2 , Ver 003 x 3, Ver 005s x 4

Right now, only 2 GPU is working. One is directly put via pci-e 16x and another one via riser ver 005s
1. When I try to attach 3rd GPU on M/B via riser ver 002 and ver 003, my PSU won't run (fan and light just run for 1 seconds and stop). Is it riser problem?
2. When I try to attach 3rd GPU on M/B via riser ver 005s, my rig can run but 3rd GPU wouldn't show in device manager and also in GPU-Z. Is it also riser problem?
3. Is my PSU is ok for handle these 4 RX480 and also up to 6 RX480?

Comments

• banzsoltbanzsolt Member Posts: 41
    Hi there, I was trying to achieve the exact same thing as you did. I have the same mother board btw.

I have 6 RX480 but I couldn't power up more than 2 at a time. I was using a 1000w and a 500w PSU combined.

I am not sure if it is the PSU though... 1500W is more than enough, since one of the card is using 103W accordingto GPU Z (I was expecting it to drain 150W though).

My whole day went on trying to troubleshoot it, and my moral went down. I will try to find out tomorrow what happened with mine, maybe you have the same issue.
  • cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Reset your Bios with every change you made.Also if that isnt working reinstall windows and try again.Bios resseting is really important.
    Running and stopping fan means there is shortage somewhere and its doing a protection.Its possibly because of bad riser
  • nathvanichnathvanich Member Posts: 6
    banzsolt said:

Hi there, I was trying to achieve the exact same thing as you did. I have the same mother board btw.

I have 6 RX480 but I couldn't power up more than 2 at a time. I was using a 1000w and a 500w PSU combined.

I am not sure if it is the PSU though... 1500W is more than enough, since one of the card is using 103W accordingto GPU Z (I was expecting it to drain 150W though).

My whole day went on trying to troubleshoot it, and my moral went down. I will try to find out tomorrow what happened with mine, maybe you have the same issue.

I just found a solution. All the problems of mine are because of bad riser. After I have changed it, it's working.
    cviper said:

Reset your Bios with every change you made.Also if that isnt working reinstall windows and try again.Bios resseting is really important.
    Running and stopping fan means there is shortage somewhere and its doing a protection.Its possibly because of bad riser

Yes, bad riser and I have to plug new card to main pci-e to install a driver before plug it to riser

• banzsoltbanzsolt Member Posts: 41

I just found a solution. All the problems of mine are because of bad riser. After I have changed it, it's working.

Haha just wanted to post this too. I had the same issue - I was not powering my reisers correctly, but as soon as I did everything worked fine.