[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    un4given said:

Yogi said:

nope Ellesmere, 8192. Are you sure you havent used a 4gig rom ?

Im using the ROMS provided by Heliox. it says that I have instaled a 8gb rom device after I install using the cmd line. However, claymore is reading only 4gb. Also, dual mining only producing 23mh and 350mh, but when I use single it gives me 31.
    maybe you should play with your -dcri settings and try out different combinations in your .bat (config) file to get better performance while dual mining
    its set at -35, which was my best setting before. 27.5 & 480 @ 103W GPU only. Also, can you mess with wattman settings once flashed?
    edited August 2016
    Heliox said:

if it's underperforming it's probably throttling..

Why would claymore only read the card as a 4gb? Team throttling shouldnt be the issue as I turn the fans up and get under 70. Eitherway 31mhs @ 98W is pretty awesome, just dont understand why it would not give me awesome results dual mining as well.
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭

Heliox said:

Why would claymore only read the card as a 4gb? Team throttling shouldnt be the issue as I turn the fans up and get under 70. Eitherway 31mhs @ 98W is pretty awesome, just dont understand why it would not give me awesome results dual mining as well.
    My 480's are displayed as 4gb in claymore 5.3 when using ubuntu 16.4, but claymore 6.1 reports them properly in windows 7.
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Heliox @boysie is it safe to use the ROM on the 4gb unicorns ? I'm sure I read somewhere it is.
  • Hidde_HooglandHidde_Hoogland Member Posts: 12
    I'm using the XFX 480's 8gb now 70Watts and 27Mhash. Golden ratio?
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Can we please talk about the wattage from the wall, all other is irrelevant.
  • th00berth00ber Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    +1 GPU-Z watt are not relevant. Only the kill-a-watt has the truth :)
    If someone can share the information
  • FlexinFlexin FranceMember Posts: 45
    Really need it the REAL wattage aswell :), this kind of settings are awesome if the consumption is low by the way
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    hey all, so the rom from heliox says its 8GB but ends up as 4GB
    I've been tweaking it and took the setting and mod an xfx and sapphire 8GB ref rom with the same settings from heliox rom and turned down the power a little.
    I also clocked down the core saving more power and fixed the odd missing ones, which causes wattman to not allow settings changes, it hasn't reduced the hash of 31.5
    it does still run hot so expect to put a fan on these like you would with a 390
    I'm getting a steady 30.5-31.5 but it will down clock if it gets to hot and with out a fan it sits too high at 84c
    with a fan you can get it nicely to 75-80. but fans will be at max to 80%
    I'm dual mining SIA and getting 390MH

You can manually reduce the mem power to 980 for some reason it wont take if you set it in a rom.
    I still drag down the power to -10% and still doesn't slow down the 31.5 has so more savings to be made.

power 680w at wall for 3 cards no system.
    PSU evga 850 P2 @ 230v
    ETH 226w = 7.1w/Mh
    SIA 226w = 0.57/MH

@Yogi no idea what a 4GB unicorns is sorry.

files linked below

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqaWJcezjXa0qc5xf0lEoNha0Xu10A

• vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    any Idea if the Powercolor cards specifically have an issue with the mod, is the issue something as simple as having to change a sub-vendor. I kept getting this

Windows stopped this device because it has reported problems . (Code 43 )

• ortho_sticeortho_stice Member Posts: 8
    you are the man heliox! Low power rom is working great on my 3 sapphires and 2 asus cards. getting 30.5 mh consistent. For those having problems what I did was uninstall radeon drivers BEFORE flashing and then install the latest 16.8.2 drivers after you flash cards. After that follow the steps previously posted. The patched driver file doesn't seem to work with 16.7.2
  • i_am_legendi_am_legend Member Posts: 16
    guys i need some help going a bit nuts here..

trying to decide between Rx470 vs Rx480 8b cards...

so many conflicting views in the forum.

its my first rig, im in the process of putting the order together ..

i have free cooling at home, power cost 7cent/KW.

budget for rig 3-3.5k max.

would really appreciate some help, was thinking MSI rx 470 8b or 480 version due to people mentioning they stay very cool.

im a total noob just learning here now, hard to decide when it costs almost for 2k $ just for cards.
    boysie said:

I've been tweaking it and took the setting and mod an xfx and sapphire 8GB ref rom with the same settings from heliox rom and turned down the power a little.
    I also clocked down the core saving more power and fixed the odd missing ones, which causes wattman to not allow settings changes, it hasn't reduced the hash of 31.5
    I'm getting a steady 30.5-31.5 but it will down clock if it gets to hot and with out a fan it sits too high at 84c

You can manually reduce the mem power to 980 for some reason it wont take if you set it in a rom.
    I still drag down the power to -10% and still doesn't slow down the 31.5 has so more savings to be made.

PSU evga 850 P2 @ 230v
    ETH 226w = 7.1w/Mh
    SIA 226w = 0.57/MH

files linked below

I had a feeling the 4gb was odd. Good stuff man! bravo..
    edited August 2016
    @boysie no probs, It's the 4gig reference 480's that are actually 8gig cards. I had 2 of them.. I've done them both now and they are working like champs :) got one of my 6 card rigs done today as well. very pleased with the performance so far!
  • frogmanfrogman Member Posts: 19

guys i need some help going a bit nuts here..

trying to decide between Rx470 vs Rx480 8b cards...

so many conflicting views in the forum.

its my first rig, im in the process of putting the order together ..

i have free cooling at home, power cost 7cent/KW.

budget for rig 3-3.5k max.

would really appreciate some help, was thinking MSI rx 470 8b or 480 version due to people mentioning they stay very cool.

im a total noob just learning here now, hard to decide when it costs almost for 2k $ just for cards.

GO for 480 with 7c KWh its easy choice
  • sevenzsevenz Member Posts: 8
    boysie said:

PSU evga 850 P2 @ 230v
    ETH 226w = 7.1w/Mh
    SIA 226w = 0.57/MH

files linked below

I create account just to say thank you! I will test it when I got home.

@boysie I know this has been asked, but just to confirm, is it fine to flash the sapphire bios of yours into power color or other brand?

And well so far here is my result from the last Heliox's high power.

I believe so, you just need to either force it or change the vedor ids using the editor to match your current bios which you saved to disk.

I did mine with fresh copies from both just because I could and it seemed a nicer way for me.

the pic above looks like they are just getting to hot and throttling back add -tt 75 to the config of claymores 6.1 or 6.0 to get temp control.

Boysie
    The one on ubuntu only GPU1 and GPU2 that is flashed with Helios' bios, GPU0 and GPU3 havent been modded yet. I will test -tt 75, and no Claymore 6.1 or 6.0 for ubuntu yet.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    I'm happy that everyone is happy :tongue:
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    full happiness will be after we manage to disable win10 driver signature permanently :)
    muzzy124 said:

full happiness will be after we manage to disable win10 driver signature permanently :)

Yup, or autoboot with signature off permanently :smiley:
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    The following command makes Win10 wait at the startup options menu for you to press 7 on every boot

enter into an administrator command prompt:
    bcdedit /set {globalsettings} advancedoptions true

Currently hacking away @ a ASUS 4GB RX 470 BIOS, up from 22mh to 25.5mh
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    it should wait for a robot to press 7 on every boot... i'm thinking of simple lego mindstorms creature to press that button ;)
  • Masked_ImmortalMasked_Immortal Member Posts: 11

thanks for sharing i am a bit confused about this, i saved a copy of my bios card and tried to compare that with optimized rom

at the top is optimized rom and at the bottom is my asus 8 gb rom
    there are some differences here as you can see
    1.vendor ID
    2.DevicevID
    3.SubID
    4.SubvendorID
    and for memory
    5.Size
    and
    6.Density

so do i need to correct optimized rom with these values, or it can be flashed directly?

and this signature checking problem, is it for win 10 only ( i am on win 7)?

rom.jpg 212.6K
  • x201k120x201k120 Member Posts: 7
    Heliox said:

well, it is. But if it throttles there is a outcome of 21,x MH/s. I didn't noticed overnight, but monitoring show that is had constant temperature of 84°C, so I guess this is when the RX480 ref starts throttling? Thats quite low :/
    I set the fan to 100% now and the hashrate did go back to 26,x MH/s at 76°C.

Does somebody has an idea how to monitore frequency under 16.04 and amdgpu-pro driver?
  • ortho_sticeortho_stice Member Posts: 8
    @boysie nice job with the BIOS. My cards are running great. Slight problem though I can change memory voltage in wattman but any attempt to change power limit settings always reset to zero. Got any suggestions?

thanks for sharing i am a bit confused about this, i saved a copy of my bios card and tried to compare that with optimized rom

at the top is optimized rom and at the bottom is my asus 8 gb rom
    there are some differences here as you can see
    1.vendor ID
    2.DevicevID
    3.SubID
    4.SubvendorID
    and for memory
    5.Size
    and
    6.Density

so do i need to correct optimized rom with these values, or it can be flashed directly?

and this signature checking problem, is it for win 10 only ( i am on win 7)?

I would just change the vendor stuff and leave the stuff on the right alone.

or do what I did and edit your own BIOS and put in all the changes Heliox and I did (mostly heliox) that way you have your bios with the required changes and it will def work..

Boysie
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited August 2016

@boysie nice job with the BIOS. My cards are running great. Slight problem though I can change memory voltage in wattman but any attempt to change power limit settings always reset to zero. Got any suggestions?

@ortho_stice

You're welcome for the bios. o:)

Got no issues putting power limit at -20 or at +20..

Perhaps something interferring?
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    Welp, I figured out my problem, me==Idiot, didn't know i needed to turn off integrity checks on EVERY boot, that fixed it thanks all sorry for being an idiot lol

Make sure you tick custom fan speed and custom temperature.
    You can change power setting then.