[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    so I would turn off UAC but its your choice, maybe just nock it down a notch

after you uninstall the card if it re-detects then wait for the installer to finish before rebooting, you can see in taskman the driverinstaller

test mode should show bottom right ..

after you reboot it will be another new card wayway and should resintall the driver again any way ..maybe you are not waiting long enough for it to complete, so when you jump to safe mode you are replacing a driver half installed so then when you boot back again its again replaced...

Boysie

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    @boysie

Did you really reinstall drivers? :)

What i do is this.

1: (while everything is at stock, so stock rom, stock driver) i execute this command first (as admin)
    bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on

2: I reboot to safe mode(Hold Shift while clicking reboot) and i replace that atikmdag.sys file.

3: I reboot back into windows with that replaced atikmdag file. Windows should load perfectly, same for your drivers.

4: I flash my rom (command line atiflash, also as admin)

5: I reboot with signature checks disabled (also holding left shift while hitting the reboot button), you can do this in the next screen after you clicked reboot while holding left shift. You'll get a menu and you just do this. (same applies for Safe mode)
    Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart

6: Everything should look perfectly fine when rebooted (i do not get the "test mode" message in the lower right corner. It just works :tongue:

greetings!
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    remember I said before that the settings persist? this obviously is not always good so removing and reinstalling is a good idea...also remember that some will be flashing non sapphire cards so they will even appear as new card totally. your way is simpler but prone to settings issues.
  • herpiherpi Member Posts: 2
    Heliox said:

@boysie

Did you really reinstall drivers? :)

What i do is this.

1: (while everything is at stock, so stock rom, stock driver) i execute this command first (as admin)

bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on

2: I reboot to safe mode(Hold Shift while clicking reboot) and i replace that atikmdag.sys file.

3: I reboot back into windows with that replaced atikmdag file. Windows should load perfectly, same for your drivers.

4: I flash my rom (command line atiflash, also as admin)

5: I reboot with signature checks disabled (also holding left shift while hitting the reboot button), you can do this in the next screen after you clicked reboot while holding left shift. You'll get a menu and you just do this. (same applies for Safe mode)
    Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart

6: Everything should look perfectly fine when rebooted (i do not get the "test mode" message in the lower right corner. It just works :tongue:

greetings!

Hello,

i tried your steps at Windows 10 x64. I got stuck at Step 3. The driver wont work.

• YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Does the driver version matter ? Also getting driver issues with this.
    Followed both methods a few times now. It just doesn't like the atikmdag im using.
    I'm using the latest AMD Drivers.

1. Going to stock drivers / bios in windows.
    2. cmd(admin) bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
    3. reboot into safe mode (option 4)
    4. replace atikmdag
    5. reboot into windows - driver issue at this point - have tried a normal boot and an option 7 boot here.

Nevermind fixed it!! Did a clean driver install and got the latest. working np now :)
    Post edited by Yogi on
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    I'm having the same issues you had @Yogi what do you mean by clean driver install
    vlcmstne said:

I'm having the same issues you had @Yogi what do you mean by clean driver install

Used the clean install utility and installed the latest drivers
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    when loading claymore, only states it found a 4gb card.. I have the 8gb MSI.

when loading claymore, only states it found a 4gb card.. I have the 8gb MSI.

I also do not see a testmode anywhere, however Im getting 30mhs.
    Damn I seem to be the only one who can't get this to work...I'll try again tomorrow..smh lol
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Yogi said:

Does the driver version matter ? Also getting driver issues with this.
    Followed both methods a few times now. It just doesn't like the atikmdag im using.
    I'm using the latest AMD Drivers.

1. Going to stock drivers / bios in windows.
    2. cmd(admin) bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
    3. reboot into safe mode (option 4)
    4. replace atikmdag
    5. reboot into windows - driver issue at this point - have tried a normal boot and an option 7 boot here.

Nevermind fixed it!! Did a clean driver install and got the latest. working np now :)

@Yogi Doesn't doing a clean driver install override the atikmdag file?
    @SIRacer09 yeh, i just re-did the process after a clean install
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks!
    currently got this running @ 31.1 MH using around 90w GPU only Power Draw (TechPowerUp readings) 63c 4500 fan
    This is on my WORST rx480 too!

A few blips in hash rate.. nothing that can't be ironed out.

imgur.com/a/GWSmR

Yogi said:

currently got this running @ 31.1 MH using around 90w GPU only Power Draw (TechPowerUp readings) 63c 4500 fan
    This is on my WORST rx480 too!

A few blips in hash rate.. nothing that can't be ironed out.

imgur.com/a/GWSmR

When using claymore are you reading as 4gb? also in techpowerup?
    @Yogi so what you just used DDU then followed all the steps, any idea if brand matters...I've followed those steps to a T lol
    nope Ellesmere, 8192. Are you sure you havent used a 4gig rom ?
    I've got saphires at the moment. but other members have mentioned you may need to change some sub settings in the Rom for other brands. I can't confirm though sorry.
    I tried it on a powercolor, I ended up reverting back I'll be trying again tomorrow lol wish me luck
    edited August 2016
    I've tweaked it down at the other end now. A card previously running at 75c doing 26.1 mh and using 90w is now running at 26.5 mh @ 58c using 74w. Will try my best card tomorrow and see what I get :)
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2016
    vlcmstne said:

I tried it on a powercolor, I ended up reverting back I'll be trying again tomorrow lol wish me luck

Edit : dumb me, I can find the vendor ID in GPU-Z.
    Which sub settings do you need to change in the ROM if you had Powercolor ref cards?

@Yogi, Care to share what settings did you tweak within the rom for your low voltage usage results??

My new rig has been stable on Claymore v5.3, driver 16.7.2, for the past 38hrs, just on 5 cards at the moment, peaking at 840W at the wall. Unsure if I can still add in a 6th card on my 1050W PSU.

Post edited by ShawnY on
    edited August 2016
    @ShawnY - Yep as soon as I've had more of a chance to do testing today I will.
    I'm looking to do something similar to you btw. 6 Cards pulling about 900w from a 1050 PSU as cool and fast as possible
    edited August 2016
    Yogi said:

Im using the ROMS provided by Heliox. it says that I have instaled a 8gb rom device after I install using the cmd line. However, claymore is reading only 4gb. Also, dual mining only producing 23mh and 350mh, but when I use single it gives me 31.
    Post edited by billcryptokid on
  • x201k120x201k120 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2016
    Sombody tried the provided ROM ( http://www.mininghwcomparison.com/RX480-30MhOTB.zip ) with Ubuntu 16.04 ?
    I flashed it and it's working. But it 'only' performs with 25,6 MH/s and Genoil Miner (Claymore 5.3 isn't working with amdgpu-pro and 6.1 is not yet released for Linux).
    After I flashed it the Powercolor RX 480 refuses to mine under Win7, as expected due the dirver issues descripted in this thread.
    so I'm not the only one who can't make the Powercolor work lol...
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    if it's underperforming it's probably throttling..
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Yogi said:

Im using the ROMS provided by Heliox. it says that I have instaled a 8gb rom device after I install using the cmd line. However, claymore is reading only 4gb. Also, dual mining only producing 23mh and 350mh, but when I use single it gives me 31.
    maybe you should play with your -dcri settings and try out different combinations in your .bat (config) file to get better performance while dual mining
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    boysie said:

Well once ready happy to flash. I have 1 8gb and 5 4gb. But depends on the process you are using. But once u are ready to let us try it...

Did you ever Flash the 4GB boysie? if so, how did you get on?

• BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Wow Heliox 31mh with less power? You are a god amongst graphics cards!

I don't like flashing BIOS but I may just have to close my eyes and try it!