[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Oh seriously, didn't even notice that.. awesome support that is... :/
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    Heliox said:

Haha, just read your post over at bitcointalk which is exactly the same :tongue: Made me laugh :)

I didn't test on a unix system, got some friends over at ethereumos who did some testing.

But i'll try to keep eveyrone up to date!

@Heliox this was your 480th post in this forum. I'm ordering some RX480s :#
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Heliox said:

Haha, just read your post over at bitcointalk which is exactly the same :tongue: Made me laugh :)

I didn't test on a unix system, got some friends over at ethereumos who did some testing.

But i'll try to keep eveyrone up to date!

LOL.... just to make sure you got my message :-)

Thanks again for the good work - great work!

I busted a fuse in my mini farm the other day... and I need to find ways to lower down power consumption. Every watts saved with more MHs will be sweet music to my ears!

My Nanos running your mods are still running strong- its perfect.
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    boysie said:

citronick said:

Heliox... don't forget W8.1 too. If 120w/32MHs/60c is stable on non-WIN10... this is great news for me. But I dont mind converting some to Ubuntu rigs. Can you share the Linux environment you used for the stable Linux version? Thanks

you know the 480/470 doesn't have a win 8.1 driver right? I mean past the first release driver they removed any 8.1 install option and now you are left with only 7/10 options
    480 has a W8.1, they included it just recently. Dont know why they left it out before though,

See http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-Beta-for-Radeon-RX-480-Windows-8.1-Release-Notes.aspx
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Morning Guys, good job @Heliox and all the guys testing at the moment.
    I noticed some of the GPU states after state 1 have very high Mv values. Is there a particular reason for that ?
    Sorry I'm a novice at this stuff :)

Also @boysie @Heliox I know the 470 nitros were causing some issue with Driver versions limiting overclocking. Could we work to circumvent this using a similar method that's been done here for the 480 ? Thoughts ?
  • restlessrestless Member Posts: 80
    2 questions
    Is there bios for 470?
    Where are the links ?
    Yogi said:

Morning Guys, good job @Heliox and all the guys testing at the moment.
    I noticed some of the GPU states after state 1 have very high Mv values. Is there a particular reason for that ?
    Sorry I'm a novice at this stuff :)

6528* means the voltage controller will auto calculate those VID's.
    Yogi said:

Also @boysie @Heliox I know the 470 nitros were causing some issue with Driver versions limiting overclocking. Could we work to circumvent this using a similar method that's been done here for the 480 ? Thoughts ?

Should be possible yes.
    restless said:

2 questions
    Is there bios for 470?
    Where are the links ?

Basically the same question ;-)

I'm working on one.

Greetings
  • dolleminerdolleminer Member Posts: 50
    Sorry I am a noob with Bios Mod. But I want to give a shot.
    This looks really good. I ordered 12x Sapphire Nitro RX 480.
    Will this mod also work on the Sapphire Nitro RX 480?
    @Heliox thanks for explaining :)

You think we can use the same timings for the 4gb 470 nitro that are used in your modified 480 ?
    Could try setting mem from 1750 to 1820+. I think there is potential to boost the 470 4gb nitro from 21-22 mh to 26 very easily.

Could make the cheaper 470 4gb models very viable then. I'm sure @boysie would be pleased!
    @Yogi

The same timings, no. Doing it like i did it on that 480, yes.

26 is perfectly possible :)

@dolleminer

Perhaps, not sure tbh.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    @Yogi lol for now the rig is with its owner, so no access for me to test 470s, but its looking good on the 480 front so some thing should be possible.

• TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Due to the current higher availability of the 470s (especially 4gb) compared to 480s, it would be nice to see how well the 470s could be modded too

Due to the current higher availability of the 470s (especially 4gb) compared to 480s, it would be nice to see how well the 470s could be modded too

On it.. i don't have one so i can't test myself. But got a friend who does and he's testing :)
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    Heliox said:

On it.. i don't have one so i can't test myself. But got a friend who does and he's testing :)

Is it the sapphire with reference cooler?

So in case of stability.

8hrs rock solid stable

stats at the pool are even better :tongue:
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    boysie said:

yes it works on windows 10...that's what I'm using...

NOTE: EVERY boot after you replace the ati file will require step 18) and 19) and I mean every boot. (hence why win7 would have been better or Linux. but if you are like me linux is scary and while I'm heading there this for me is a better more controllable test bed until I'm happy with the rom and I can just boot and not even config the card as that's a bit shitty in linux)

process is quite simple but can be problematic in the sense of getting the right settings post flash and making sure windows uses the right driver.

1) this is my personal step...remove all cards but 1
    2) boot into windows
    3) reset card in wattman and reboot
    4) flash card with desired rom, load up atiwinflash with admin
    5) click save, and backup your current ROM
    6) close the pop up once done
    7) Click load and select new BIOS
    8) click program
    9) wait...screen will hang for about 30-40 secs dont panic.
    10) on confirmation box close
    11) close app
    12) in device manager right click g-card and uninstall. don't tick.
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    16) hit 4 on option screen
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

all the above assumes you are in TEST mode already

Boysie

@boysie I've been messing around in Win7 for about 4 hours now and for the life of me can't get atiflash to recognize any cards using the USB bootable device. I haven't tried unplugging all but one of the other cards from the motherboard though. I have 1 rig with all RX 480s that I have been trying to test with. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What version of atiflash are you using?
    2. It looks like you are using atiwinflash within Windows, is that better than creating the bootable DOS USB?
    3. I've ran the below commands at command prompt to set TEST mode. Does this look right?
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Thanks!
    I know it's meant for Boysie, but i'll answer a few.

I use the newest atiflash, the one that supports Polaris. I don't use atiflash from a bootable usb because it's not supported (as i know of) yet.

Those commands are ok.
    Just not sure if it'll work on Win7 though.. still need to test that.
  • WoolingJumperWoolingJumper Member Posts: 32
    Heliox said:

So in case of stability.

8hrs rock solid stable

Awesome stats, how much does it pull from the wall?

Heliox said:

So in case of stability.

8hrs rock solid stable

Seriously no idea.. will test that tomorrow :)
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Heliox said:

Heliox said:

So in case of stability.

8hrs rock solid stable

Seriously no idea.. will test that tomorrow :)
    every1 kinda mutated to green miners :hushed: are you willing to try dual mining too on those modded cards? would be interesting if those explode *just kidding* will flashj 8 GB BIOS to my 4GB Cards today and am little bit afraid
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Heliox said:

I know it's meant for Boysie, but i'll answer a few.

I use the newest atiflash, the one that supports Polaris. I don't use atiflash from a bootable usb because it's not supported (as i know of) yet.

Those commands are ok.
    Just not sure if it'll work on Win7 though.. still need to test that.

Thanks @Heliox That would be why my bootable usb doesn't work. HAHA! I'll give it another whirl tonight. Is it best practice to unplug all other GPUs and flash 1 at a time or is it ok to keep all installed while flashing?
    me personally I pull out all cards I dont want to flash, the ui in windows doesn't scroll so you can only see max 3 anyway. you never know what can happen with lots of them there...way more risk and we dont need more of that when flashing cards.

just get it down to maybe 1 or 2 up to you and flash the one u want/need.

there are ways to use the cli though and some prefer this...me I'm a point and click kinda guy as my typing sux and all too easy to casue issues. :)

Boysie
  • vlcmstnevlcmstne Member Posts: 119
    @boysie so you have been running this Rom now for a while on windows 10? how are temps?
  • phcoinphcoin Member Posts: 1
    hello @boysie can you give me the rom gpu giga 480 ref 8GB?
    @vlcmstne I've been running the 31Mh highpowered one since last night and it runs hot hot hot...I'm dual mining with it though.

@phcoin
    I'm not sure what you are asking for....according to @Heliox you should be able to flash his on any ref card.

• LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @SIRacer09 I spent several hours fucking around with the modded drivers in Win7 without success.

Even if you successfully figure out the BIOS flash aspect, at this point there's no way to actually get the modded atikmdag.sys file to load in Win7.
  • herpiherpi Member Posts: 2
    boysie said:

yes it works on windows 10...that's what I'm using...

NOTE: EVERY boot after you replace the ati file will require step 18) and 19) and I mean every boot. (hence why win7 would have been better or Linux. but if you are like me linux is scary and while I'm heading there this for me is a better more controllable test bed until I'm happy with the rom and I can just boot and not even config the card as that's a bit shitty in linux)

process is quite simple but can be problematic in the sense of getting the right settings post flash and making sure windows uses the right driver.

1) this is my personal step...remove all cards but 1
    2) boot into windows
    3) reset card in wattman and reboot
    4) flash card with desired rom, load up atiwinflash with admin
    5) click save, and backup your current ROM
    6) close the pop up once done
    7) Click load and select new BIOS
    8) click program
    9) wait...screen will hang for about 30-40 secs dont panic.
    10) on confirmation box close
    11) close app
    12) in device manager right click g-card and uninstall. don't tick.
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    16) hit 4 on option screen
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

all the above assumes you are in TEST mode already

Boysie

Hello iam at Windows 10 and did all steps. After the last Step Windows is unable to load the drivers. The device manager displays Error Code 31.

Also if i uninstall the display driver at step 12) it shows the vga device but 3 seconds later it will automaticly load a driver again and the gpu is listed as a normal graphic device.

Did you used the "bcdedit.exe " commands?

Are steps 1) to 12) in Test mode? Because i cant use AtiFlash 2.74 at TEST mode (UAV Error, Wont run as admin)

Any suggestions?