[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    Metz said:

I've had trouble getting this to work (Win 10 x64) - I ran the commands, rebooted and copied the file to the folder.
    Following a 2nd reboot the PC cannot load the drivers and device manager shows a warning against the cards.
    Claymore says no devices found.

I made a backup of the original file so I was able to roll back the changes... does this only work with a specific crimson driver? (I'm on 16.7.2).

unless you boot into that menu each and every time using option 7 it wont work on win10. unsigned or invalid signed drivers will no longer load even after setting the perm disabling it you must boot every time using the option 7

it basically means win10 is no good now. for this scenario

win7 is now the only windows option to mine with custom rx480 roms as that will allow you to perm disable the enforcement of driver signing.

no idea though if that mod driver works in windows 7....if not then linux is the only option going forwards as this doesn't have this check or the driver enforce it.

its like MS/AMD dont want their stuff used on windows unless its exactly as they want it...that reminds me of crapple.

Has anyone tested that mod driver in win7 yet?

edited August 2016
    @Heliox

so reporting back test results.

first issue was mismatch vendor ID, so fixed the rom with the right ID's as per an xfx rom.

it then flashed all fine.

as its then a different card you have to uninstall the card and remove driver, let it reinstall.

then safe mode replace driver then boot using option 7

Ic you have default the clocks to 1220 so didn't change this, left every thing as is and got 28ish MH.

then change mem to 2275 and this is where is all goes a little wrong. but I think mainly coz I don't know what power settings to use. I tried a few most failed eventually found some thing that worked or held and it failed when mining....
    eventually got some thing that works and mining started first tick I got 30 ish MH but next tick it dropped to 14 ish.

checking in gpuz you could see the core dropping to 500-700 not sure why.

I ran out of time at this point and reflashed back to stock and reinstalled back to std driver.

maybe the power setting you used can be shared and I can give it another go or I could mod an existing xfx rom with your changes and see if that works better...I wouldn't expect it to make any diff though.

Boysie

• ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    Sticking on stock BIOS while we wait for the Power tweaked Rom from @Heliox
    boysie said:

@Heliox

so reporting back test results.

first issue was mismatch vendor ID, so fixed the rom with the right ID's as per an xfx rom.

it then flashed all fine.

as its then a different card you have to uninstall the card and remove driver, let it reinstall.

then safe mode replace driver then boot using option 7

Ic you have default the clocks to 1220 so didn't change this, left every thing as is and got 28ish MH.

then change mem to 2275 and this is where is all goes a little wrong. but I think mainly coz I don't know what power settings to use. I tried a few most failed eventually found some thing that worked or held and it failed when mining....
    eventually got some thing that works and mining started first tick I got 30 ish MH but next tick it dropped to 14 ish.

checking in gpuz you could see the core dropping to 500-700 not sure why.

I ran out of time at this point and reflashed back to stock and reinstalled back to std driver.

maybe the power setting you used can be shared and I can give it another go or I could mod an existing xfx rom with your changes and see if that works better...I wouldn't expect it to make any diff though.

Boysie

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Has anyone gotten this to work in Win7? I'd try but I've never flashed a bios before. Wouldn't know what I was doing wrong if it bit me in the face. ;)
  • jittersjitters Member Posts: 6
    SIRacer09 said:

Has anyone gotten this to work in Win7? I'd try but I've never flashed a bios before. Wouldn't know what I was doing wrong if it bit me in the face. ;)

I'm in a similar boat as you I've only ever done routine flashing by manufacturer , I tried this with windows 7 and my computer locked up. Hoping I didn't brick the card, going to try to rollback after work. Before I left the gpu was still detected in device manager..hoping that is a good sign

Check out: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/
    Its a bit outdated to what is done here with rom edit etc, the same caution applies be very careful flashing.
    Thanks @jitters I'll take a look
  • depadredepadre Member Posts: 10
    Could someone with a Sapphire Rx-480 8GB upload the original bios? I forgot to backup it. Just in case
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Bravo Heliox!

120watts 32MHs is so nice to hear.... when is the gold copy of this ROM available?
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @SIRacer09 @Heliox
    No success in Windows 7 x64, from what I can tell the modded driver is unable to be loaded even with driver signature checks disabled.

Tried Lordkag's latest patched atikmdag files with both 16.7.3 and 16.8.2 and GPU drivers do not load (error -31), even when still running stock BIOSes.

Have yet to try on a Win8 or Win10 rig, guess that'll be my next step.
    depadre said:

Could someone with a Sapphire Rx-480 8GB upload the original bios? I forgot to backup it. Just in case

they are all here:

https://techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=1002-67df--04fb,1002-67df--0b37,1002-67df--3413,1002-67df--9480,1002-67df--e347

@SIRacer09 @Heliox
    No success in Windows 7 x64, from what I can tell the modded driver is unable to be loaded even with driver signature checks disabled.

Tried Lordkag's latest patched atikmdag files with both 16.7.3 and 16.8.2 and GPU drivers do not load (error -31), even when still running stock BIOSes.

Linux is really the only option.

time to move back to ethOS
    Bravia said:

boysie said:

ImLost said:

Need that power usage

lol patients, I'm sure one he has the figs he will let us all know. I'd expect 180ish and more for dual mining.

luckily I built my 6x480 card rig with dual 850w psu :) just in case :)
    hi Sir
    Don't have problem with 6*480 with 850 Power ?
    how much do you get hash ?
    dual meaning 2...3 on each
    citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

120watts 32MHs is so nice to hear.... when is the gold copy of this ROM available?

who said 120?
  • jittersjitters Member Posts: 6
    boysie said:

@SIRacer09 @Heliox

lets us know if you get it to work in ethOS! I'm not too familiar with linux
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    boysie said:

citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

who said 120?
    I did..

It's probably less..

check my last post here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1584617.msg15943054#msg15943054
    Heliox said:

boysie said:

citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

who said 120?
    I did..

It's probably less..

check my last post here.

@Heliox Do you plan to create one for Win7 or are you sticking with Linux and Windows 10?
    SIRacer09 said:

Heliox said:

boysie said:

citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

who said 120?
    I did..

It's probably less..

check my last post here.

@Heliox Do you plan to create one for Win7 or are you sticking with Linux and Windows 10?
    Doesn't have anything to do with the rom. The rom would work perfectly fine on windows 7 if it wasn't for that signature check.
    I'm sure it's possible to bypass that as well. I'll setup a win 7 ssd later this week and see what i can do :)

Greetings
  • CALIGVLACALIGVLA Member Posts: 20
    Heliox said:

boysie said:

citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

who said 120?
    I did..

It's probably less..

check my last post here.

But 100 in GPUZ does not equal 100 at the wall, do you have the wall measurement by any chance?
    Heliox said:

SIRacer09 said:

Heliox said:

boysie said:

citronick said:

Bravo Heliox!

who said 120?
    I did..

It's probably less..

check my last post here.

Doesn't have anything to do with the rom. The rom would work perfectly fine on windows 7 if it wasn't for that signature check.
    I'm sure it's possible to bypass that as well. I'll setup a win 7 ssd later this week and see what i can do :)

Greetings
    @Heliox Gotcha! I thought the rom was different. I will start researching the signature check to better understand what is going on. Thanks!

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

@SIRacer09 @Heliox

@boysie - trying out now and will report back my results

boysie said:

@SIRacer09 @Heliox

@boysie - when using Linux, wouldn't you still need to modify the core/memory clocks to get it to hit the 31mhs number? Is there a way to over clock the AMD cards in Linux yet?
    @thesmokingman

You can set clocks on ubuntu, you'll need those amdgpupro drivers i think, but it's definitely possible!.
    reporting back in

still using windows, flash all 6 cards, had to make my own for the xfx as the source one is sapphire and for some reason doesn't seem to work even if you mod the IDs

now running the high powered 31.5 but with -15% power limit, this keeps this slightly over powered rom in check and still manages 30.5-31 plus 400 Mh sia dual mining

@ plug 3 cards are using 705w (no system) on a evga 850 P2
    temps are around 80 at max fan. so quite high but the rom has the max set to 85 so as they approach this the card clocks it self down and backs off to drop the temps so it seems safe.

IMPORTANT-----I think

I found some thing that was a little odd and if this works it might be possible to not need to flash the cards at all in windows. which would remove the issue about sig driver.

this is what happened.

with a system in test mode and booted with option 7
    a working flashed mod card with settings showing in wattman as mod settings as per the bios.
    power down
    swap card for same 4GB bios but not mod'd
    box will start up with out option 7 and load driver from driver store
    as this is a correct sig driver it all works , the card is not bios mod so all works as expected.
    how ever,
    it will now hash the same speed as the previous mod card. in my case 31Mh
    checking the settings in wattman still show the previous settings from the mod bios card and has some how applied these to an un mod'd card and caused it to perform like a bios mod card.

If you can repeat this with out the need to bios mod the card you seem to be able to override the bios totally ...
    I'm not really sure where it sets/reads these settings and why this could happen but it does and if someone can use this to just overwrite the way the driver applies settings to the cards it seems plausible using the full correct sig driver loading all normally and some how apply overclock settings ignoring the bios settings?

I have no skills to do this so maybe someone intelligent can work out how. Are they just settings stored in the REG?

Boysie
    Well.. Haha, spent the last 2 hours on my 480x rig... Rebooted about 10 times, replaced atikmdag.sys file a couple times, tried to flash, could never get atiflash to recognize ANY cards... I'm done until someone gets it to work in Win7.
  • core16core16 Member Posts: 16
    @Heliox @boysie So now that we've seen the rom, do we know yet if it can work on non-reference cards like the Powercolor Devil? Or how one could adapt the rom to make it work on such non-reference cards?
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    Can anyone confirm that it works on windows 10. I know @Heliox stated it could, but can anyone give explanation on how they performed the proper flash and driver disable?
    yes it works on windows 10...that's what I'm using...

NOTE: EVERY boot after you replace the ati file will require step 18) and 19) and I mean every boot. (hence why win7 would have been better or Linux. but if you are like me linux is scary and while I'm heading there this for me is a better more controllable test bed until I'm happy with the rom and I can just boot and not even config the card as that's a bit shitty in linux)

process is quite simple but can be problematic in the sense of getting the right settings post flash and making sure windows uses the right driver.

1) this is my personal step...remove all cards but 1
    2) boot into windows
    3) reset card in wattman and reboot
    4) flash card with desired rom, load up atiwinflash with admin
    5) click save, and backup your current ROM
    6) close the pop up once done
    7) Click load and select new BIOS
    8) click program
    9) wait...screen will hang for about 30-40 secs dont panic.
    10) on confirmation box close
    11) close app
    12) in device manager right click g-card and uninstall. don't tick.
    13) reboot
    14) card should be redetect but now you are in vga mode as it will fail to load driver.
    15) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    16) hit 4 on option screen
    17) now in safe mode replace the ati file you need into c:\windows\system32\drivers (overwrite).
    18) hit windows button and power then holding shift click restart, select troubleshoot, adv, restart options, click restart
    19) select option 7
    20) you should now boot up with mod driver and mod bios all working...if not you did some thing wrong. go back to step 12

all the above assumes you are in TEST mode already

Boysie
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Heliox... don't forget W8.1 too. If 120w/32MHs/60c is stable on non-WIN10... this is great news for me. But I dont mind converting some to Ubuntu rigs. Can you share the Linux environment you used for the stable Linux version? Thanks
    Haha, just read your post over at bitcointalk which is exactly the same :tongue: Made me laugh :)

I didn't test on a unix system, got some friends over at ethereumos who did some testing.

But i'll try to keep eveyrone up to date!
    citronick said:

Heliox... don't forget W8.1 too. If 120w/32MHs/60c is stable on non-WIN10... this is great news for me. But I dont mind converting some to Ubuntu rigs. Can you share the Linux environment you used for the stable Linux version? Thanks

you know the 480/470 doesn't have a win 8.1 driver right? I mean past the first release driver they removed any 8.1 install option and now you are left with only 7/10 options