[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• core16core16 Member Posts: 16
    @Heliox Sorry if this is a silly question but i'm not very familiar with this type of modding. Would your rom work on non-reference cards?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    core16 said:

@Heliox Sorry if this is a silly question but i'm not very familiar with this type of modding. Would your rom work on non-reference cards?

non ref have a different BIOS, written by the card manufacture rather than AMD

I believe the ref cards still have different manufacture BIOS but only to the point where they put their company name on it.

for example:

I have 2 types of 4GB card with the same BIOS version:

but the sub vendor shows different. the Sapphires look like they just left it as AMD's but the XFX's have changed it to be their own ID.

I only have 1 8GB card and that's a sapphire and it uses BIOS

they all seem to be listed here
    https://techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=1002-67df--04fb,1002-67df--0b37,1002-67df--3413,1002-67df--9480,1002-67df--e347
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    @Heliox are you also bringing 480 roms for non standard 480's? like Powercolor red devil??
  • core16core16 Member Posts: 16
    @boysie Isn't the point of the rom to overwrite that bios though? Or is it more of a modification to the existing bios (and thus specific to the card/version)
  • th00berth00ber Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    It will be interessting to know about the power consumption, in the GPU-Z screenshot we can see that hte GPU It self is reported at 130W (missing the memory ?) So How much for this card running at 30MH/s ?

If the power consumption is not that high and PCI-E slot not overloaded, the RX480 could be a real good card with this mod :)
    edited August 2016
    core16 said:

@boysie Isn't the point of the rom to overwrite that bios though? Or is it more of a modification to the existing bios (and thus specific to the card/version)

You can do both, if you use the exact same hardware (ref card) you can use any the BIOS from ref card as they will all work, but if the hardware is different then you need to mod the bios on that hardware and its only useable by that card. you still download it ..mod it and then reflash..overwriting the BIOS on there with the moded one.

you also need the ati driver file that has the mod to allow custom BIOS and bypass the sig checking of the BIOS. And you need to turn off 64bit driver checking in win10

lets wait for the guide produced by Heliox for his mods and we will know the limits of what he has done.

There seems to be a fairly easy recovery of even bricked cards using onboard or just a 2nd card...which most people will have here.

so awaiting @Heliox and his guide....

• SashSash Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2016
    Heliox said:

Ok guys, posted this over at bitcointalk.

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1584617.0

Open for discussions in here though :tongue:

Short overview:

Results.

First run (no mod): 24Mh+ : Core clock 1275, Mem Clock 2000
    https://s10.postimg.org/4rbj8v2m1/Stock_Test_Run.png

Second run (modded): 28Mh : Same clocks, so: 1275, 2000
    https://s9.postimg.org/byc2sahgf/mem_Edit_Testrun1.png

Next run (still modded): 30.5 - 31Mh : Lowered core to 1192 and raised memory to the (for now) max of 2250.
    https://s9.postimg.org/4azgwfo27/mem_Edit_Testrun_Final.png

Then, for my final(for now) run: 31.5-32Mh : Raised core to 1220 and raised memory to 2275
    https://s10.postimg.org/vqo4i0m2x/mem_Edit_Testrun_Final2.png

Will be doing more tests later, i'm sure i'll be able to go over 32Mh.
    Great thing about this, when i ran the first testrun with stock clocks, card was at around 60 degrees and no abnormal fan speed.

Overall, awesome card Smiley

Power usage tests will follow later when i'm done tweaking my rom to the sweet spot Smiley

Greetings!

Nice results! What mining software are you using?

I've got a reference 480 and I get same mh/s hash with memory 2200 (@920) or 2250 (@950) using ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre

@Sash I guess you didn't recognise it from the pics?

he is using claymore's dual miner.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

@Sash I guess you didn't recognise it from the pics?

he is using claymore's dual miner.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925

Fairly new to Ethereum mining so don't know all the software that's out in the wild and which is best for AMD cards etc. Thanks,

Will check it out.
  • StreetlightStreetlight Member Posts: 23
    Looking forward to Custom Rom coming...give me something else to play with. :)
    I have been doing some digging and its not all good...so here goes

this wont be a good solution...for now for windows 10

I'll explain

currently there is a section of the AMD drivers that forces sig checking on the BIOS used by the card, any changes to the BIOS not signed by AMD fail this SIG check.

now there is a fix for this and a new driver file has been released on a forum that allows this to be bypassed.

but

then windows 10 wont like the driver....

in windows 10 you can put the system into test mode and on boot 1 time disable driver signature enforcement but and this is a big but, you can no longer force this to be like this on each boot, you must enter the boot menu each time and force this option with 7/F7

this basically means this is pointless for miners.. which is sad....

now unless someone can come up with a solution windows 10 is off the mod list and its all over to Linux/windows 7

I don't have either but both are reasonably easy to get hold off...

What I did to check all of this

In windows 10 you can turn on test mode:

with an Admin prompt:

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then turn off driver enforcement

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

grab the moded driver .....

boot into safe mode and replace old with new

reboot

driver will fail to load.

why...

now click restart with shift held down and it will go into advance options and select reboot options, when rebooting select option 7

it will now start up and the driver will load....it will only ever work like this. Manually :(

so now I tried to mod the BIOS, I saved my current one and then copied, edit it and change the max mem to 2275, saved it flashed it restarted with advance boot options, selected option 7 and booted to desktop...

now in Wattman you have max mem option of 2275.

but unsurprisingly it made little difference even using the settings at the start of this post because there is more to this mod than just changing the max mem speed. I'm expecting additional timing straps or mod existing ones.

so back to you @Heliox but its a shame this wont be the golden boot as windows 10 wont play ball.

I did on the way though flash 1 of my 4GB cards with the 8GB official BIOS and now have that confirmed all working...im back to the official driver and rig back with 6 cards albeit with one that is now 8GB but behaves exactly the same expect no longer allowing less than 2000 mem speed.

Boysie

• yoghurtakyoghurtak Member Posts: 53
    Power usage?
    Can you test it?
    I didn't leave it like it, I rolled back to stock bios...also the actual perf like most of these cards having higher mem clock doesn't mean more perf...you need better timings and higher clocks to get the perf.

Once @Heliox releases his mod details I'm sure the power usage will then be available.

if he needs a test person I'd be happy to help. although its really not for rigs running windows 10 MS have made sure of that balls up.
  • jupiterjupiter Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys, i am also trying my luck with 6 RX 480 cards. Everything runs well till i start mining. Always after 1 minute it shuts down whole system. I really tried everything, windows 7, windows 10, all versions and it does not work. I don't know what to do anymore

I use:

Asrock H97 anniversary
    8 gb ram
    120 gb ssd
    Dual core CPU
    6 Gigabyte RX 480
    Riser cables with molex
    1200 PSU

Is it possible to get infos from Heliox what hardware u are using exactly?

System says: screen driver after a failure restored, standard settings restored all time same

Maybe someone can help?
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    jupiter said:

Hey guys, i am also trying my luck with 6 RX 480 cards. Everything runs well till i start mining. Always after 1 minute it shuts down whole system. I really tried everything, windows 7, windows 10, all versions and it does not work. I don't know what to do anymore

I use:

Asrock H97 anniversary
    8 gb ram
    120 gb ssd
    Dual core CPU
    6 Gigabyte RX 480
    Riser cables with molex
    1200 PSU

System says: screen driver after a failure restored, standard settings restored all time same

Maybe someone can help?

I have same problem :/ need help. I think its a software problem - with amd driver. The night will be long. Good its a holiday tomorrow in my country. Though my cards have all stock BIOS. 4x 8gb and 2x 4gb
    Post edited by un4given on
  • banzsoltbanzsolt Member Posts: 41
    un4given said:

jupiter said:

I use:

Asrock H97 anniversary
    8 gb ram
    120 gb ssd
    Dual core CPU
    6 Gigabyte RX 480
    Riser cables with molex
    1200 PSU

Maybe someone can help?

I have same problem :/ need help. I think its a software problem - with amd driver. The night will be long. Good its a holiday tomorrow in my country. Though my cards have all stock BIOS. 4x 8gb and 2x 4gb
    Check your resisers, we managed to make our rigs to work by changing/powering them correctly:
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9094/new-miner-spec-of-rig-questions-need-help#latest
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    banzsolt said:

un4given said:

jupiter said:

I use:

Asrock H97 anniversary
    8 gb ram
    120 gb ssd
    Dual core CPU
    6 Gigabyte RX 480
    Riser cables with molex
    1200 PSU

Maybe someone can help?

Check your resisers, we managed to make our rigs to work by changing/powering them correctly:
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9094/new-miner-spec-of-rig-questions-need-help#latest
    Thx for the tipp m8, but i doubt its risers fault. They were working perfectly fine. I doubt one of them or more burnt down. I tried to power up dofferent combinations of cards (2 or 3 together) but the rig resetted as soon as i started mining (black screen).so the only reason i can imagine is some driver problem since i couldnt install the driver normally. Some .dll s were missing and i had to install them seperately. I will investigate further in the morning.
    boysie said:

I didn't leave it like it, I rolled back to stock bios...also the actual perf like most of these cards having higher mem clock doesn't mean more perf...you need better timings and higher clocks to get the perf.

Once @Heliox releases his mod details I'm sure the power usage will then be available.

if he needs a test person I'd be happy to help. although its really not for rigs running windows 10 MS have made sure of that balls up.

How do you improve the timing? I've noticed there was very little to almost no perf increase going from 2200 to 2250 mem.
    for now that information alludes me...been looking and all I can find is people copying the 1750 strap into the 2000 strap...but I have no clue at all what they mean or the effect. if there was some where I could read up on it and understand what they mean I could at least have a go and make a rom as its very simple.
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @Heliox Thank you so much for sharing. I guess its time to buy some Rx 480's.
  • BraviaBravia Member Posts: 2
    boysie said:

ImLost said:

Need that power usage

lol patients, I'm sure one he has the figs he will let us all know. I'd expect 180ish and more for dual mining.

luckily I built my 6x480 card rig with dual 850w psu :) just in case :)
    hi Sir
    Don't have problem with 6*480 with 850 Power ?
    how much do you get hash ?
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Haven't had time to read all the replies.. sorry for that.

For the linux guys.

Rom is here: Here

For Windows 10 users, you can do this:

i) Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    ii) Once the Command Prompt open, enter bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and press Enter. Then enter bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter.
    iii) Close Command Prompt and restart your PC.

If this fails for some reason, you can reboot with Signature checks disabled by rebooting into advanced options (Hold left shift key while hitting reboot button) and hit F7 (Boysie mentioned this as well).

You need to copy the modified atikmdag.sys file into your drivers folder as well (C:/Windows/System32/Drivers)

File can be found here: Here

Rom has modified timings and higher limits. (Memory 2275 etc..)

I'll do a energy friendly rom later this week.

Greetings
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    Heliox said:

Haven't had time to read all the replies.. sorry for that.

For the linux guys.

Rom is here: Here

For Windows 10 users, you can do this:

i) Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    ii) Once the Command Prompt open, enter bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and press Enter. Then enter bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter.
    iii) Close Command Prompt and restart your PC.

If this fails for some reason, you can reboot with Signature checks disabled by rebooting into advanced options (Hold left shift key while hitting reboot button) and hit F7 (Boysie mentioned this as well).

You need to copy the modified atikmdag.sys file into your drivers folder as well (C:/Windows/System32/Drivers)

File can be found here: Here

Rom has modified timings and higher limits. (Memory 2275 etc..)

I'll do a energy friendly rom later this week.

Greetings

thanks for sharing!
    does it work for win7 ?
  • hasher87hasher87 Member Posts: 7
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    An error has occurred setting the element data.
    The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.

it doesnt work here, restarted with disabled driver signature checks as well..

@Heliox

so looking at the mod I can see the 1750 timings in the 2000 slot, and the max mem speed increased to 2275...is this all that changed?

Boysie
    actually looks like a few other bits have changed...max temp of 75 with shutdown now at 85...
    Dont have time now to compare all the settings.

Boysie
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    This one is pretty basic, working on one with core voltage offset included in the rom, same for vddci offset, those are stock not in the rom.
    Also working on completely changing those timings. As in Stilt style :-)
  • FurryBuxyFurryBuxy Member Posts: 42
    This is for 8gb version only?
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Will this work for Windows 7 as well?
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I've had trouble getting this to work (Win 10 x64) - I ran the commands, rebooted and copied the file to the folder.
    Following a 2nd reboot the PC cannot load the drivers and device manager shows a warning against the cards.
    Claymore says no devices found.

I made a backup of the original file so I was able to roll back the changes... does this only work with a specific crimson driver? (I'm on 16.7.2).