[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    Before i change roms i made another check.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/2ugi8b5.jpg
    GPU-Z showing under 100w powerdraw per gpu but the total consumption for four cards + system is around 738w from the wall.

738w - system 75w = 663w / 4 = 165w per gpu

Can someone confirm that their 480s @ 30Mhs pulling 100w from the wall measured with a killawatt ?

• zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    Why dont you just use boyse low power one: https://vgy.me/IPmook.png

70W gpuz, 100-105 on the wall 29mh. 60% fans(2350rpm), 64-65c temp
    zorvalth said:

70W gpuz, 100-105 on the wall 29mh. 60% fans(2350rpm), 65-73c temp

edited September 2016
    I was supposed to try it out today.
    But if you check my picture gpu-z is telling me that my cards are pulling under 100w each but the real powerdraw is 165w when i meassure with a wattmeter.

edit. will try it out on one rig first, will get back with the result.
    and as you see mine its 70W gpuz awhich is 100-105 on the wall.
    zorvalth said:

and as you see mine its 70W gpuz awhich is 100-105 on the wall.

Ok, flashing first batch of cards at the moment
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    zorvalth said:

70W gpuz, 100-105 on the wall 29mh. 60% fans(2350rpm), 64-65c temp

Why not dual mine? it's like 7.5w or so more in gpuz... I thought the extra profit from sia would pay for the extra watts but maybe it only equals out now..?
    Ok.
    Now running the "low-pwr-29MH-Boysie" roms in one of my rigs.
    Powerdraw at the wall: 680w for the whole rig (4 cards)
    Still over 150w per gpu from the wall
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited September 2016
    As long as no one shares a rom with real voltage offsets in the rom, there won't be a decent one.
    And no ones going to share that as only a few know how to do that and they're not active here.

PolarisBiosEditor is fine, but it's a toy.

Will have a rom with voltage offsets done this week for sure. However not going to share it for free.
    Sorry.
    edited September 2016
    Heliox said:

As long as no one shares a rom with real voltage offsets in the rom, there won't be a decent one.
    And no ones going to share that as only a few know how to do that and they're not active here.

PolarisBiosEditor is fine, but it's a toy.

Will have a rom with voltage offsets done this week for sure. However not going to share it for free.
    Sorry.

Hold on what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean that either
    1. Roms can't be decent because you have to still lower voltages in wattman
    or
    2. That even if I lower my voltage in wattman, you can do some special thing in the rom to make it MORE efficient at the same voltage I could set it in wattman?

(not talking mem timings here)
    Basically the same as what i did with my nano roms..

Will leave some more info when i'm at the office, on my phone right now.
    Heliox said:

Sure, I am not familiar with what you did with nano roms
    EfterlysT said:

Ok.

You need to go in wattman or watttool and lower the voltages on mem and core to 890 as it is in the rom if you open it with the bios editor. Just flashing a rom is doing nothing because the driver is setting the voltages on auto, you need to see what is se it the rom and then manually apply them through wattman or watttool.

Heliox said:

Sure, I am not familiar with what you did with nano roms
    What i do exactly is this.

I do an i2c register dump, after that i do an AIDA dump which will tell me what the gpu needs in case of voltages at a certain clock.

After that i modify the rom to have VDDC, MVDDC(if possible) and VDDCI/AUX offsets.

In other words: so that i'm able to tell the voltage controller to start delivering voltages at a lower start.

So if it calculates your VID for a specific DPM, it auto deducts -100mV (because it already started calculating from -100mV than what it usually did.
    Thus making the gpu more energy friendly and in a lot of cases a shitload more stable in case of throttling.

I hope this answers your question.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Is all that done in hex Heliox? I wouldn't mind learning how to modify bios this way, just not sure where to start
    oakey22 said:

Is all that done in hex Heliox? I wouldn't mind learning how to modify bios this way, just not sure where to start

yes, that is all done in hex.
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    Calivet said:

@nhando its kinda like herpes. Once you have it. It just sticks around. (in ref to deleting your unwanted messages.) :D

Haha, good one.
    zorvalth said:

EfterlysT said:

Ok.

You need to go in wattman or watttool and lower the voltages on mem and core to 890 as it is in the rom if you open it with the bios editor. Just flashing a rom is doing nothing because the driver is setting the voltages on auto, you need to see what is se it the rom and then manually apply them through wattman or watttool.
    Ah ok.
    I got gpu errors trying to run the bios on several of my gpus so i tried to switch back to the one i had before. Now i get gpu errors on that rom too. I will try to sort it out when i get back home after work today.
  • MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    Guys, what could be the problem if my 6x rx480 nitro (4gb) rig restarts itself every few hours?

1045mhz core, 1900mhz memory, 925 mV
    Asrock anniversary H97, Enermax Platimax 1500W, USB powered risers.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    MARETH2 said:

Guys, what could be the problem if my 6x rx480 nitro (4gb) rig restarts itself every few hours?

1045mhz core, 1900mhz memory, 925 mV
    Asrock anniversary H97, Enermax Platimax 1500W, USB powered risers.

every 3 hrs maybe? :hushed: if yes, PSU or your breaker. try to connect the rig directly to the wall, no breaker in between. if the problem persists, its your PSU. i had a platimax 1350 and needed to switch it to a single rail PSU. mutlirail seems to suck to mining. single rails being overloaded.
  • nsaxlundnsaxlund Member Posts: 5
    I'm running two rigs with 6 x RX480 on Linux/ethOS and I seem to consistently have a problem with GPUs crashing. I used the low energy rom from Heliox and that helped stabilise the GPUs hugely but I'm still experiencing issues. The weird thing is that it always is the 2nd, 4th and 6th GPU that crashes. I have tried changing mobo which actually also helped but didn't cure it. I'm not sure if it is because of the drivers that are not very suited for linux (I know that ethOS is using a back ported driver as it runs Linux 14.04) or if there is something else I'm not thinking of.
  • MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2016
    un4given said:

every 3 hrs maybe? :hushed: if yes, PSU or your breaker. try to connect the rig directly to the wall, no breaker in between. if the problem persists, its your PSU. i had a platimax 1350 and needed to switch it to a single rail PSU. mutlirail seems to suck to mining. single rails being overloaded.

Actualy I figured that it was BSOD when it crashed. Sometimes it crash after 5 hours, sometimes after 20 hours..
    I checked the minidump file and I found this:

Anyone know what could be the problem?
    I'm using Crimson Edition 16.8.3 Hotfix drivers.

Post edited by MARETH2 on
  • niubbo1969niubbo1969 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    @nsaxlund in linux you have installed the kernel 4.7 and the mesa?and amdgpupro?
  • brizio71brizio71 Member Posts: 17
    @boysie sorry for this question that maybe you have receive, there is actually some permanete drive signature procedure for ati driver on windows 10 or I have to follow the steps describe every time I reboot the machine ?
    Can I use the last 16.8.3 driver or I have to use the old one in order to override the signature check ?
    your bios modded works on XFX RX470 4GB black ?
    Thanks again
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    brizio71 said:

@boysie sorry for this question that maybe you have receive, there is actually some permanete drive signature procedure for ati driver on windows 10 or I have to follow the steps describe every time I reboot the machine ?
    Can I use the last 16.8.3 driver or I have to use the old one in order to override the signature check ?
    Thanks again

480 only not 470s

16.8.3 is fine.

yes you need to self sig the modded driver and run windows in test mode...lots of threads about how to get there working...
  • brizio71brizio71 Member Posts: 17
    boysie said:

brizio71 said:

Thanks again

480 only not 470s

16.8.3 is fine.

yes you need to self sig the modded driver and run windows in test mode...lots of threads about how to get there working...
    Thanks,
    I've read the steps but I'm lost, I don't understand if each time I reboot the machine I have to redo the signature procedure on windows 10.

Thanks
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Anyone can tell what is the watt consumption of 6x Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO+ OC 8GB DDR5 256-bit Lite ? I am about to make the rig this days but i am not really sure about the psu.. 1300w is ok?
  • Hidde_HooglandHidde_Hoogland Member Posts: 12
    ciprianpt said:

Anyone can tell what is the watt consumption of 6x Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO+ OC 8GB DDR5 256-bit Lite ? I am about to make the rig this days but i am not really sure about the psu.. 1300w is ok?

I got 5 of these exact cards running on a 1000watt psu with my watt meter says 750watt usage. Still waiting for a custom rom...
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭

ciprianpt said:

I got 5 of these exact cards running on a 1000watt psu with my watt meter says 750watt usage. Still waiting for a custom rom...
    so basically 1100w - 1300w should be enough..

just go 6 of these

• Hidde_HooglandHidde_Hoogland Member Posts: 12

60-100 more coming! Really need that custom rom. The 27,5 mhash on 80 watt is very nice, but they can do a lot better! Cooling is just awesome, i got temp's from 50 to 55 C.