[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• Lokken86Lokken86 Member Posts: 28
    Jealous of all you guys with your fast hash rates. I just can't ever seem to get anything to work.

When I replace the atikmdag.sys file I just get a graphics driver not installed error upon rebooting >:(
  • Rx480Rx480 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody have modded bios for non reference graphic card Sapphire RX480 4G nitro+ SKU 11260-02-20G?
  • comeollascomeollas Member Posts: 9
    Rx480 said:

Anybody have modded bios for non reference graphic card Sapphire RX480 4G nitro+ SKU 11260-02-20G?

I have the same question i want to buy 6 rx 480 4GB nitro + SKU 11260-02-20G if can modify bios :)
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45
    Hello,
    have someone undervolate the 480?
    how can i set a offset in the Bios?

lg blue
  • Rx480Rx480 Member Posts: 11
    Rx480 said:

Any new info/news?
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2016
    @Rx480 You can always try to (1) save the original BIOS with ATI Winflash, (2) modify it with Polaris BIOS Editor, and (3) load the modified BIOS with ATI Winflash. You can copy parameters such as frequency, voltage, and memory timing from other BIOS'es that are floating around. This method worked with my XFX OC edition.
  • duoleduole Member Posts: 9
    hi Heliox...
    do you stilll have Power Color R9390 bios mod?
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2016
    I messed around like a fool for twelwe hours yesterday to get my two rigs flashed and running.
    I started out struggeling like a maniac on the 16.7.2 driver, that was my first misstake. Dont even try that, i wasted many hours on that crap driver.

When i went with the 16.8.2 driver things started to work better.
    I flashed one card with Boyises 31.25 bios and also got it up and running for a few minutes before i started to flash the rest of my cards.

When i had all cards flashed and rigs ready i moved them back to their mining location and fired them up. After five minute i had serious problems. Both rigs mined perfectly at 31.5Mhs per gpu för a couple of minutes before one or two cards went to 0 before the driver crashed and systems rebooted. At that point i was ready to shoot my rigs and then myself. I just shut everything down after some attempts to sort it out.

Today i started the day with rebuilding one of the rigs, fresh installation of win 10 and then flashed one card back to original bios. This time i used the "RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy" bios. After getting the rig ready for mining with that single card i let it run for like one hour and it was rock solid @ 30.5Mhs.

I flashed the rest of the gpus and did the same to my other rig. They are now up and running really solid.

This is how i did it on my systems:

Setup:
    Asrock H81 BTC Pro
    Celeron G1820
    8Gb ram
    64Gb SSD with Windows 10
    Corsair RM 850
    4 x RX 480 8Gb reference cards (MSI/Sapphire)
    Powered USB risers (One riser per SATA line, dont use more because the connector get HOT. I have melted one myself while running two risers on the same line)

DETAILED Installation for noobs like myself ! :)
    Leave one card with original bios, flash all other cards one by one with the custom bios.
    For flashing i used Winflash 2.74. that version supports Polaris.

In Windows:
    Place the winflash files in a folder named "winflash" in C: root.
    Place the bios in the same folder and name it bios.rom

When that is done, right click on the windows menu and click on "Command Prompt (Admin)
    Back up to C: root using the command "cd.. + enter" several times.
    When you are at "C:\>" go to winflash folder: "cd winflash"
    When you see this: "C:\Winflash>" you are at the right place.

Be sure to have removed all other cards or unplug the risers/power cables except för the card you want to flash.

Start flashing it with the command: atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.rom
    Note that i had my card in slot "p 0" that is the pcie slot number.

Now it should be flashing and it will take around 20-30 seconds.
    After it is finished, reboot your system to see that it aint dead "black picture"
    If it works flash the rest of you gpu:s except the one that you keep as original.

When all other cards are flashed, leave theme at side and put your card with original bios in the system. Be sure to clean any old drivers.

Install the 16.8.2 driver, only driver and utility.

When the driver is installed and rebooted you can flash this card with the custom bios also.
    When the card is flashed you can start adding the rest of the cards one by one until all cards are detected by windows. Note that they will not be supported by the driver at this point.

When all cards are detected you are almost ready to go.
    Now you need to reboot your system with holding your left Shift key when pressing reboot.

You will see a menu now and you will pick Troubleshoot + advanced + startup settings + restart.
    In the menu at boot you choose option 4 to get in safe mode.

In safe mode navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    Replace the file atikmdag.sys with the modified one.

After that, reboot again with left shift pressed down.
    Again choose: Troubleshoot + advanced + startup settings + restart

In the menu at boot choose option 7

You should now boot into windows and all your cards should be accepted by the driver and ready to start mining.

Any custom bios should work but try one out on one card first and see that it is stable before flashing the rest of you gpu:s. Also remember to backup your original bios, i used GPU-Z tp pull out my original bios.

Links:
    Winflash 2.74: https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74
    Bios: There are many around, i used one called "RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy"

Modded atikmdag.sys file : http://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-19.html#msg30028
  • rodriruirodrirui Member Posts: 19
    EfterlysT said:

I messed around like a fool for twelwe hours yesterday to get my two rigs flashed and running.
    I started out struggeling like a maniac on the 16.7.2 driver, that was my first misstake. Dont even try that, i wasted many hours on that crap driver.

I flashed one card with Boyises 31.25 bios and also got it up and running for a few minutes before i started to flash the rest of my cards.

When i had all cards flashed and rigs ready i moved them back to their mining location and fired them up. After five minute i had serious problems. Both rigs mined perfectly at 31.5Mhs per gpu för a couple of minutes before one or two cards went to 0 before the driver crashed and systems rebooted. At that point i was ready to shoot my rigs and then myself. I just shut everything down after some attempts to sort it out.

Today i started the day with rebuilding one of the rigs, fresh installation of win 10 and then flashed one card back to original bios. This time i used the "RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy" bios. After getting the rig ready for mining with that single card i let it run for like one hour and it was rock solid @ 30.5Mhs.

I flashed the rest of the gpus and did the same to my other rig. They are now up and running really solid.

Setup:
    Asrock H81 BTC Pro
    Celeron G1820
    8Gb ram
    64Gb SSD with Windows 10
    Corsair RM 850
    Powered USB risers (One riser per SATA line, dont use more because the connector get HOT. I have melted one myself while running two risers on the same line)

Leave one card with original bios, flash all other cards one by one with the custom bios.

In Windows:

When that is done, right click on the windows menu and click on "Command Prompt (Admin)

Be sure to have removed all other cards or unplug the risers/power cables except för the card you want to flash.

After it is finished, reboot your system to see that it aint dead "black picture"
    If it works flash the rest of you gpu:s except the one that you keep as original.

When all other cards are flashed, leave theme at side and put your card with original bios in the system. Be sure to clean any old drivers.

When the driver is installed and rebooted you can flash this card with the custom bios also.
    When the card is flashed you can start adding the rest of the cards one by one until all cards are detected by windows. Note that they will not be supported by the driver at this point.

Now you need to reboot your system with holding your left Shift key when pressing reboot.

You will see a menu now and you will pick Troubleshoot + advanced + startup settings + restart.

You should now boot into windows and all your cards should be accepted by the driver and ready to start mining.

Any custom bios should work but try one out on one card first and see that it is stable before flashing the rest of you gpu:s. Also remember to backup your original bios, i used GPU-Z tp pull out my original bios.

Links:

Modded atikmdag.sys file : http://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY-19.html#msg30028

@EfterlysT

Glad it was a success!

Canyou please tell me where did you fin that rom ("RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy").

Thanks
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I haven't read through everything, but it seems there are multiple bios's listed in this large thread. I am having success with the first heliox 480 modded bios in here but I am curious about how the others are different. Specifically, what is different about the low power heliox modded bios?

with the original heliox modded bios, I undervolted fine with settings -7.5%/920mv core and 2200/920mv mem. Does the low power one just lower the settings I can lower in wattman or is there something more special similar to the memory strap timings change (which can't be done in wattman)?
  • zawawazawawa Member Posts: 27
    At least the low power one by @boysie has tweaked memory strap timings. That increases the hash rate by 4Mh/s. Quite impressive I would say.
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80

I haven't read through everything, but it seems there are multiple bios's listed in this large thread. I am having success with the first heliox 480 modded bios in here but I am curious about how the others are different. Specifically, what is different about the low power heliox modded bios?

with the original heliox modded bios, I undervolted fine with settings -7.5%/920mv core and 2200/920mv mem. Does the low power one just lower the settings I can lower in wattman or is there something more special similar to the memory strap timings change (which can't be done in wattman)?

Multi GPU? Headless?

Multi GPU? Headless?
    this was single gpu and with a monitor( what do you mean by headless?) although I have another multi gpu rig with 480s im working on

Multi GPU? Headless?
    this was single gpu and with a monitor( what do you mean by headless?) although I have another multi gpu rig with 480s im working on
    no monitor. I'm trying to devise a way to stop one gpu from failing all the time.
    edited August 2016
    rodrirui said:

EfterlysT said:

Setup:
    Asrock H81 BTC Pro
    Celeron G1820
    8Gb ram
    64Gb SSD with Windows 10
    Corsair RM 850

In Windows:

Links:

@EfterlysT

Glad it was a success!

Canyou please tell me where did you fin that rom ("RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy").

Thanks
    Not sure where i found it. I uploaded the bios here: http://www.megafileupload.com/7rsb/RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy.rom
    What are the core and mem clocks and voltages of the low power rom?
  • BlazinBlazin Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2016
    Here are the clocks and voltages used in the low power rom @Truthchanter
    From what I've heard, the 6528x voltages are automatically calculated by
    the bios. I think they can't be put into Wattman.

Core clocks and voltages

mhz,mv

Mem clocks and voltages

mhz,mv
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Any plans to add support for the devil cards :D.
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    bctopics said:

Any plans to add support for the devil cards :D.

Here's the rom I'm using on my 480 devil. https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/57415#Comment_57415
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2016
    How do we delete our unwanted post?
    Post edited by nhando on
    I have been running the "RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy" rom in my 480 8gb cards for some days now. The speed and stability are really great but the cards pull like 190w !? each system excluded.

They should pull like half of that so i guess i will have to switch to another rom.

Anyone know a good rom that gives around 30Mhs @ around 100w (ETH only) ?

I used @boysie rom v2 and tweaked it a little bit as one of my MSI's did not take well to the memory and kept dropping mh's SEVERELY after a few minutes. Seemed like throttling but the temps were fine. I then realized that there are several manufacturers for memory and not every card is equal, even if it is the same brand. I have 3 MSI 480 and 1 doesnt like any sort of flashed bios. I was able to finally get it set correctly.
    Thanks guys.
    I will try it out tomorrow
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @nhando its kinda like herpes. Once you have it. It just sticks around. (in ref to deleting your unwanted messages.) :D
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    EfterlysT said:

Setup:
    Asrock H81 BTC Pro
    Celeron G1820
    8Gb ram
    64Gb SSD with Windows 10
    Corsair RM 850

In Windows:

Links:

Question: I have remote reboot tool to reset remotely PC which hanged up/stucked. Do you always need to go to trobleshoot than option 7 when you reboot PC. If yes this makes reboot tools useless? Is same thing needed with RX470 roms?
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    no, there are plenty of guides on the forum how to do it. Look at boyses thread for the patched driver. What reboot tool and how does it reboot if the pc is already hanged?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    EfterlysT said:

I have been running the "RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy" rom in my 480 8gb cards for some days now. The speed and stability are really great but the cards pull like 190w !? each system excluded.

They should pull like half of that so i guess i will have to switch to another rom.

look at my low power one
    cveks said:

EfterlysT said:

Setup:
    Asrock H81 BTC Pro
    Celeron G1820
    8Gb ram
    64Gb SSD with Windows 10
    Corsair RM 850

In Windows:

Links:

Question: I have remote reboot tool to reset remotely PC which hanged up/stucked. Do you always need to go to trobleshoot than option 7 when you reboot PC. If yes this makes reboot tools useless? Is same thing needed with RX470 roms?
    My rigs are all standalone.
    This is a guide to get rid of the signing issue for good:
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1584617.msg16043214#msg16043214
    Note that you have to have a monitor or a dummyplug in the maincard in the rig to be able to reboot.
    At least i have that issue when running Asrock H81 boards
    boysie said:

EfterlysT said:

look at my low power one
    I will try it out today, thanks