[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    with wich program are you altering the clocks and voltages afterburner doesnt seem to work on the 480's, it did on 390's
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Heliox said:

Aha, just noticed that WattmOn is out.

Awesome for the Windows guys.

Wattmon

Work with multiple GPUs better then wattman? I'll have to check it out later
    edited August 2016
    okay, seems i can alter the clocks with wattmon, afterburner doesnt
    edit: looks like wattmon edits clocks only on first card??
    Post edited by sennevb on
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    How can i set exact voltage in the bios? If do this:

The voltage is still on auto and i need to go in wattman to set it on manual and then respects my values. If the amd settings/wattman is not installed it doesnt respect the values and voltage is on auto.

Any hints?
  • jittersjitters Member Posts: 6
    quick question.

After rebooting in safe mood to replace atikmdag.sys
    I managed to replace the file at these FP locations:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.8.2-Aug11\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B305731\atikmdag.sys

I was however, not able to replace this one:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0305729.inf_amd64_41b77677cf160610\B305731\atikmdag.sys

I had issues with modifying system files error.
    Find this strange since I modified sys32 driver dir

any thoughts?

• RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 8
    Thank you to Heliox, Boysie, Calivet ,and other member..... Manage to use the Heliox rom with you all guide currently use (RX480-30MhOTBLowEnergy) with 3 of Ref RX 480

1 nos powercolour reff
    2 nos sapphire reff

Below are my mining outcome

This is power from my wall - ( my PC ONLY, no monitor and etc)

Thank you.

edited August 2016
    Thats way too much power. My own settings are 29.2mh per card and 115w on the wall. 4 cards = 115*4+50=510w. I have 4 mh less total against 4 cards with your settings and over 200w less which cost way more then these 4mh make per month on my 10c per Kw price. My cards run on 65-68c on 60%/2350rpm fan.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Yes I also agree thats way to much power.
    Yesterday I tuned my 480 with boysies mod (basically the same) and I get 30.4mh @ 82W in GPU Z that is around 110W on the wall.
    Zorg33 said:

Yes I also agree thats way to much power.
    Yesterday I tuned my 480 with boysies mod (basically the same) and I get 30.4mh @ 82W in GPU Z that is around 110W on the wall.

its not, 75w is 115w on the wall. At least on my CM v1000 psu.
    edited August 2016
    I am on 220V.
    I checked with my new clamp meter and it measures 4.4A and 3.5A @12.2V makes 96W for the 470.
    Multiplied by the reciproc of efficiency of psu
    1.11 x 96 = 107W on the wall
    It shows 76W in gpu z.
    So yes 82W in gpu z is more around 118W on the wall.
    But that is within 10% to my guess :)
    I just removed one card, measured the cnsumption then added the card and measured again. on 75w gpuz i'm paying 115w on the wall. I really not interested what amp clamp thinks, i care what my energy provider charges me :)
    Agreed but it depends on the efficiency of your psu.
    For my 90% eff psu, the calculation is the above.
    mine is 90% too. CM v1000
    edited August 2016
    SIRacer09 said:

Success on Windows 7 Pro... for the most part.. :)

Here is the rough, and I mean rough process I went through to get the BIOS flashed and atikmdag.sys file taken care of. I downloaded the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider that I found on one of the Graphics forums... I do not know ANYTHING about this software, whether it is good or bad, and I'm not telling anyone to use it because for all I know it could do harm, but it's the only way I could get the atikmdag.sys file to work. Supposedly it signs the atikmdag.sys file so the signature check passes without turning it off. Below is the link to the software. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. (If someone else has insight into the software, or knows if it is good or bad, let us know!)

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

I took steps from @Heliox and @boysie and mashed them together to get it to work. Once again, this is what worked for me. Below are the steps I took from start to finish

1. Start off in Windows with Stock BIOS, Stock Settings, no undervolt/overclock.
    2. Reboot to safe mode and run DDU to safely remove all video drivers.
    3. Reboot into Windows and download the latest drivers from AMD (Someone said the latest version of drivers cause higher wattage usage, I think this might be the case since I'm at 1050 watts for an 8GB RX480 rig, but I will have to do more testing to figure it out)
    4. Install drivers and reboot.
    5. Once Windows comes back up you should have all your cards seen in Device Manager and all should be good. If you have more than 4 cards you might have to run the 6GPU fix to get the other working. Don't move on to the next step until you've got all working in Device Manager.
    6. Download the latest version of Atiflash

NOTE: Sometimes it's a good idea to flash 1 card at a time. If you want to do this, shutdown your rig, unplug all RX 480s except 1 and boot back up, repeating the below process to flash eash GPU.

7. Open a command line, as administrator, and browse to the Atiflash folder. Type atiflash -i to list the GPU or GPUs you have connected. Once the first one will be "0", then 1,2 and so on if you have more than 1 connected.
    8. If you are comfortable with the GPUs that are connected, you can now flash the BIOS by typing "atiflash -f -p 0 BIOS.rom" without the quotes, where "0" is the number of the GPU you want to flash and "BIOS.rom" is the name of the ROM you want to flash to the card. It will give you some info on what it is doing and then take a minute or 2 to flash. When it is done, it will prompt you to reboot to make the changes take effect. You can proceed with flashing the other cards before rebooting, or at least that worked for me.
    9. Once all your cards have been flashed with the new BIOS and are seen by Windows with no errors, you can move on to step 10
    10. Download the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software (http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo) Again, do at your own risk. This is the only way I got it to work in Windows 7 though.
    11. Download a copy of the atikmdag.sys file from the link provided in this thread. Save it to your desktop or folder you can remember.
    12. Open the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software and it will ask you what you want to do. Click "Enable Test Mode" and click Next. It will prompt you to reboot, so go ahead and reboot.
    13. Once you are back in Windows run the Driver Signature Enforement Overrider software again and choose the "Sign a System File" and click Next. Now it will ask you what file to sign. Enter the file name that you want to sign, which is the atikmdag.sys file (It is requesting the whole file path, i.e. C:\Users\SIRacer09\Desktop\atikmdag.sys)
    14. Enter the file path and hit next, then reboot.
    15. Move the atikmdag.sys file to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder, overriding the one in place and reboot.

When your computer comes back up, you should (hopefully) be good to go with the new atikmdag.sys file and flashed GPUs. Again, this is a rough outline of what I did. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully I can help! :)

I tried this on win 8.1 different times, cant get it to work? help anyone, driver is not properly signed i guess..

fixed: i rebooted in test mode by using bcedit in command prompt, now it works
  • manotrollmanotroll Member Posts: 21
    tem como passar o consumo detalhado e quantos % fez de oc ?
  • TerrorZiviTerrorZivi Member Posts: 6
    Well got it running after the last cards arrived this morning.

1090 Watt @Wall whole system: X58a-ud5, X5650, 6 reference RX 480.

Thanks to Heliox, boysie and all the others who gave valuable input!
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    what are u guys pulling ur bios with? i grabbed the one off my msi 480 8Gb with gpu-z and when i load it into polaris bios editor it complains about it not being 512k
    i am kinda skimming thru stuff so maybe i missed something... lot to read and i havent flashed bios since my 7950s
    edited August 2016
    @TerrorZivi , I dont know how much you are paying for electricity but if it is more than 10c you better drop the hash to 29.2-4mh and power draw to 730-40w on 1100/2100 clocks and core vddc around 0.900 and you will profit the same but your cards will be way cooler and quiet. Btw your core voltage cant be less then mem voltage so this 920 is pointless as you see your cards are still on 1.000v

Right now 1mh = 2usd per month and 50w cost 3.6usd per month on 10c price per kw. So better drop 2mh per card and 50w per card you will have nice quiet rig making the same amout of money.
  • Masked_ImmortalMasked_Immortal Member Posts: 11
    cidmo said:

what are u guys pulling ur bios with? i grabbed the one off my msi 480 8Gb with gpu-z and when i load it into polaris bios editor it complains about it not being 512k
    i am kinda skimming thru stuff so maybe i missed something... lot to read and i havent flashed bios since my 7950s

dont use gpuz, try atiflash 2.74
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    oh man I tried to edit polaris myself and must have changed the max% wattage too much. Now the computer will not light up in the slightest when I have even a single card plugged in, yet Im able to boot it using a backup card or integrated. I have a good feeling I just fucked my cards up. rookie stuff.
    @zorvalth , thats the plan thanks :smile: . Now running with 175Mh/s and 975 Watt @ Wall. Btw electricity cost here is ~ 26c :wink: . This rig ist more hobby than solid miningopperation.
  • koorpakoorpa Member Posts: 73
    i have managed to get this to work in win7 using low power rom. It's been stable for 2 days now, each card hashing at 29,3Mh/s. I would like to try high performance. Do I need to flash cards again with high performace rom or can I just change settings in wattman on this low power rom, like bump up mem clock, core clock, power limit, to get like 30, 31Mh/s ?

thx
  • dcsworlddcsworld Member Posts: 9
    @TerrorZivi, is that the low power rom you are using to get those results or did you tweak them yourself ? Im looking to get closer to 900w for maybe 28-29 mhs
    It's the 31,25 Bios with [email protected] and -10% PT. Will test these settings for a few days an then tweak ist further when Wattmon works with more than one card.
    29.3mh on 1100/2100 clocks and 920/900 voltages, using 1625 mhz strap timings copied on 2000, it gives 115w per card on the wall and 720-750 total of 6 cards. 200w saved on 10c per kw/h = 14-15usd, on 20c, = 30usd. 6*1.5mh lost = 10mh lost = 20usd per month less. so on 10c kw/h you are loosing 5usd but having 65 celaseus cards on 60%(2350rpm) fans. if electricity cost = 20c you are making 10usd more despite lower hash.

• VirosaVirosa Member Posts: 43
    zorvalth said:

29.3mh on 1100/2100 clocks and 920/900 voltages, using 1625 mhz strap timings copied on 2000, it gives 115w per card on the wall and 720-750 total of 6 cards. 200w saved on 10c per kw/h = 14-15usd, on 20c, = 30usd. 6*1.5mh lost = 10mh lost = 20usd per month less. so on 10c kw/h you are loosing 5usd but having 65 celaseus cards on 60%(2350rpm) fans. if electricity cost = 20c you are making 10usd more despite lower hash.

Is that really possible? Are you mixing GPU-z gpu only watt as "at the wall"? Because lowering volt didnt work for me, it still draw 165W+
    gpu-z shows 75w, on the wall i measured 115.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    arg tons of issues modding here or even just being able to test
    so heres what i had to deal with and how im able to test now

started in windows 10 tons of guides here to mod and run modded bios in windows 10 that worked for me no problem
    my problem was with windows 10 itself, for some reason claymore's miner would hang on building openCL program and when i would kill it it would crash the driver
    happened totally randomly as far as i could tell, restarting would sometimes fix it other times id have to reinstall drivers from scratch with stock bios
    either way super annoying so i switched to win7 and woo boy total rats nest there but everything is working now
    only way i can run a modded bios with the patched atikmdag.sys is after using that http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo driver signing thing dude linked up there, thank you much btw
    but his guide plus i have to be in test mode tho and booted with the driver signing disabled

as i said rats nest
    now time to test after like 20 smokes

got to test a bit on win10 and my results so far with the msi 480 8GB were about 28Mh at around 100w at the wall
    the msi 470 4GB was weird tho, didnt wanna give any performance increase in over all hashing but seemed to have no problem running under 70 watts at the wall with 21Mh
    so absolutely need to test more there
    i have msi 480 4GB, asus 470 OC, and msi 470 8GB to go thru still tho

will post screenies when im happy
  • ExtrastarkaExtrastarka Member Posts: 44
    Thanks guys, flashed a Sapphire and a XFX and it works :) So just let it work from now!
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @cidmo which Rom give you 28mh/s with 100w @ wall??