[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

Comments

• Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Iam not really happy with the roms, i tried a lot but nothing is near my expections.
    The low power ones are crap for dual mining and the high power ones are to hungry.

I need a rom with ≤1000w for a whole 6card rig with 160-170mh/s eth and 2000mh/s sia

On windows i run with 160mh/s eth, 2000mh/s sia with 1050w @ wall.

yeah the current roms need a power limit of +10 to achive that at least the low power rom and it will pull higer than 1000w I see around 1080 to 1100 and thats on 240V platinum supplies probbaly closer to 1150 on bronze and 120V
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    mpunisher said:

I get this error after I use @SIRacer09 methode for win7
    http://imgur.com/a/nYHNM
    and I didnt have a backup for bios and atikmdag.sys
    anyone can help to restore the gpu at least ?

Could you add a screenshot? The one posted doesn't come up.
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Is there a difference beetween the 4gb and 8gb roms?
    Do i have a disadvantage if i use a 4GB rom on a 8GB card?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    mpunisher said:

I get this error after I use @SIRacer09 methode for win7
    http://imgur.com/a/nYHNM
    and I didnt have a backup for bios and atikmdag.sys
    anyone can help to restore the gpu at least ?

you can get the ref roms here: https://techpowerup.com/vgabios/?did=1002-67df--04fb,1002-67df--0b37,1002-67df--3413,1002-67df--9480,1002-67df--e347
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    Anyone able to get a Multi GPU RIG running the 31.8MH ROM stable for more than 1 day? Seems like I can get single card to do that but not Multiple cards. I'm only able to to the 28 and 30.5 LowPow ROM to run stable. It doesnt matter if the setting is for +10 or 20 for power limit either.
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    nhando said:

@ShawnY
    Can you share the link of this ROM you're referencing that gets 27MH / 330 SIA. How much does it get ETH only. That will probably help me identify the ROM.

My Test so far
    Test 1 - XFX Card only - Card can not handle any of the ROM that needs over 2200 Mem clock speed so only the LowPowROM and the 30.5Eth ROM will work

Test 2 - 2nd XFX card only - No issues handling any of the ROMs including the Heavy ROM 31.8ETH only Romsie ROM that can also do 30.3MH plus 440 Sia. This is the ROM I WANT to get working BADLY!. After this success and it ran stable overnight, I then started flashing and testing over 15 more cards. I made sure they all can run stable at least for 2-3 mins before moving to the next card as my first test with the XFX shows that if it's going to fail, it will normally fail within the first min via overheating or other issues. I flash a total of 19 cards. Found 1 card that can't handle the heavy ROM (First card tested). Found another card that end up with a dead fan (Sapphire). So please proceed understanding there are higher risk involved with the higher OC ROM vs the low power one. You should also check to make sure the SATA connectors are not overheating. I had 2 burn out due to cheap cables that may have gotten loose and crossed causing a small fire but it didn't damage the PSU or GPU. Replacing the Molex power cable fix the issue but it did a temporary nervousness. From this test I noticed that some brand prefer certain temp level before performance start dropping and it could range from 80-84 so I set my Claymore to -tt 79 which comes at the cost of noise. Again you will not have this issue with the low power ROM but I want maximum performance as my power is cheaper so I want 390 performance.

Test 3
    Rig 1 - MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard which can handle 7 GPU - All PowerColor cards. I get constant reboots after 4-30 mins. I don't know why. Sometimes it will crash saying Ethermine.exe failed, other times it just reboots itself which you can't set to autostart due to the signature thing.

Rig 2 - ASROCK H81 BTC Pro - 6 GPU - All XFX - I can run between 1-60 mins. Fail with similar issue as above

Rig 3 - ASROCK H81 BTC Pro - 5 Sapphire card but 1 die with the FAN issue so it went down to 4. Fail with similar issues above.

Lesson learned - It's best to test stability for at least 2-3 days before doing large scale deployment. I still want to dual mine, I'm pretty certain if I just do the Low Power Rom, it will be more stable but I want the maximum hashing rate before diff skyrocket again

I'm open to suggestion but I've tried many things like increasing power limit to +10 and setting temp max to 76 forcing Claymore to run fan at 100% to avoid overheating etc. I want this to work. It's very addictive when you see the # reported for 7 GPU at this high rate which is comparable to my 390 Rigs. Will add screen capture of hashing results soon.

Going back to the 30.5MH ETH Only ROM for now to see how stable that is for multi GPU.

@nhando
    I am using stock bios on my 6x ref 480s.
    Settings are -16.5%core/840mv , 2200mem/900mv

• billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80

Iam not really happy with the roms, i tried a lot but nothing is near my expections.
    The low power ones are crap for dual mining and the high power ones are to hungry.

I need a rom with ≤1000w for a whole 6card rig with 160-170mh/s eth and 2000mh/s sia

On windows i run with 160mh/s eth, 2000mh/s sia with 1050w @ wall.

man Im not sure why Im the only one getting solid results with my MSI.
    @billcryptokid - Yeah I can get the same result or better than yours if I'm doing just 1 GPU without even modifying wattman. All I have to do is use the 31.8MH ROM and make sure the GPU stay cool with -tt 80. However it won't be stable when you have a 4-6 GPU rig doing it. I've tested 4, 6 and 7 GPU rigs on different Motherboards. Sapphire, XFX and PowerColor. I'm now using the LowPowRom and I'm getting almost 29ETH and 440 Sia and it's much more stable. Less stress on the SATA connection and the power draw is somewhere in the 155-170 watts range. I will have to setup the new rig on the 120V line tomorrow night to confirm the Killawatt readings.

@Marvell9 Thanks for the Tip on using the low power ROM and just boosting Powlim to 20. This works so far and is stable due to it using much lower clock. Seems like all the ROMs that I tested are stable when it's under 2200 mem clock for multi GPU. I can only get 1 GPU to work stable with ROMs that sets the mem at 2250 or above. I'm happy with the current settings even though it's 1.5MH less on ETH per cards as the stability is more important.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @boysie hey quick question. I'm about to build two 6x480 rigs, but am hearing about people melting mainboards and riser cables etc. How did you connect your powered risers to the PSU? 2 strings plugged into the PSU with 3 risers connected to each string? And must use molex connector, not SATA correct? I don't want to have these rigs going up in flames, especially since I will most probably be dual mining with them. Please give me your opinion! Thanks :)
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    BTW, I got my hands on 12 x HIS 480 cards with 2 fans (non-ref design) - will the bios flash work on these cards? @boysie
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    hasher said:

BTW, I got my hands on 12 x HIS 480 cards with 2 fans (non-ref design) - will the bios flash work on these cards? @boysie

nope. dont think any one has enough of these cards about to work on bios mods. REF only so far.
    hasher said:

@boysie hey quick question. I'm about to build two 6x480 rigs, but am hearing about people melting mainboards and riser cables etc. How did you connect your powered risers to the PSU? 2 strings plugged into the PSU with 3 risers connected to each string? And must use molex connector, not SATA correct? I don't want to have these rigs going up in flames, especially since I will most probably be dual mining with them. Please give me your opinion! Thanks :)

def not that way.

now while they have fixed the power draw on the 480s via a driver fix I'm one for caution.

1 string per riser. simple. if you are going to push these card beyond their intended use expect more power than should be drawn to come from the pci riser. before the patch I had 2 on 1 string and melted the cables on the string...not the sata to molex adapter.

play it safe

Boysie
  • Rx480Rx480 Member Posts: 11
    Hello

I have a problem. I get error 43 in Windows drivers. I have ref. Sapphire rx480 8gb and bios from this site.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Rx480 said:

Hello

I have a problem. I get error 43 in Windows drivers. I have ref. Sapphire rx480 8gb and bios from this site.

Have you signed the driver with the app yet?
    I got that before I signed the driver.
  • BatmanBatman Member Posts: 8
    oakey22 said:

Rx480 said:

Hello

Have you signed the driver with the app yet?
    I got that before I signed the driver.
    I get error 43 to.

What do you mean signed the driver?
    I sign the atikmdag.sys as explained in step 13
    Win 7
    is there any less intensty roms?
  • FlexinFlexin FranceMember Posts: 45
    Quick question about Lowpower consumptionROM, if i understand the Gpus push 29mh/s each card, but how many watts at the wall for 6 x RX480 8GB ??
    Actually i have 162mh/s for 840w at the wall ETH only for the whole rig without ROM and Bios changes, do you think is worth for me to flash the bios and try the Rom ?

Thanks for reply
  • Dims95Dims95 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Flexin,

Check the ratio MhS / Watt and you will have the response.

For me, this bio is good for dual mining, but for eth only, I prefer to keep the factory bios ;)
    edited August 2016
    finally, it work!

Thanks @SIRacer09

I am using Win 7, 16.8.2 driver, xfx rx 480 8G reference
    ~30 mhz eth only
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Batman said:

finally, it work!

Thanks @SIRacer09

I am using Win 7, 16.8.2 driver, xfx rx 480 8G reference
    ~30 mhz eth only

Nice! Glad it's working!
    Where to get App to sign driver?
    I dont know how it work, i just following @SIRacer09 repeatedly.
    My latest configuration working using 16.8.2 driver, xfx rx480 reff and rom from boysie.

Make sure your gpu detected and working before flashing and reboot after flashing.

My sapphire rx 480 not work, and i am backup wrong bios.
    When i am roll back, i get R9 280x rom on my sapphire rx 480 8g.

When i can find sapphire ref rom?
    download from techpowerup link here but not work
    @Batman send me a private message with your email address. I can forward you my backup ROM for the sapphire 8GB RX480 tonight or tomorrow.

• billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 80
    nhando said:

@billcryptokid - Yeah I can get the same result or better than yours if I'm doing just 1 GPU without even modifying wattman. All I have to do is use the 31.8MH ROM and make sure the GPU stay cool with -tt 80. However it won't be stable when you have a 4-6 GPU rig doing it. I've tested 4, 6 and 7 GPU rigs on different Motherboards. Sapphire, XFX and PowerColor. I'm now using the LowPowRom and I'm getting almost 29ETH and 440 Sia and it's much more stable. Less stress on the SATA connection and the power draw is somewhere in the 155-170 watts range. I will have to setup the new rig on the 120V line tomorrow night to confirm the Killawatt readings.

@Marvell9 Thanks for the Tip on using the low power ROM and just boosting Powlim to 20. This works so far and is stable due to it using much lower clock. Seems like all the ROMs that I tested are stable when it's under 2200 mem clock for multi GPU. I can only get 1 GPU to work stable with ROMs that sets the mem at 2250 or above. I'm happy with the current settings even though it's 1.5MH less on ETH per cards as the stability is more important.

3 cards and I'm still stable. :)
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    ls there any way to use a teamviewer on windows rig with only 480 cards and no monitor on more then 640x480?
  • muzzy124muzzy124 Member Posts: 78
    only if you get a special dummy hdmi plug
    otherwise connect a monitor then disconnect... it works until reboot
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Aha, just noticed that WattmOn is out.

Awesome for the Windows guys.

Wattmon
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45
    @heliox
    Its possible to set the offset with wattmon ?
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Heliox said:

Aha, just noticed that WattmOn is out.

Awesome for the Windows guys.

Wattmon

Awesome...
    For anyone not registered with the forum a mirror download is here:
    https://mega.nz/#fm/9gFxBDoQ
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2016
    after I follow @SIRacer09 steps for win7
    I can only see 2gpu in device manager (4gpu all) and I cant use them to mine because of driver error
    https://s13.postimg.io/9a6v8x00l/image.png
    BIOS FROM @boysie last thread (WIN-RX480-31.25-Boysie-v2.rom)

Crimson-16.8.2

also I get this error after :
    https://s11.postimg.io/3v8iz7t4x/Untitled.png