[UPDATE]RX480 (Reference) Custom rom: 31+Mh

HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
edited April 2017 in Mining
VDDC Offset + Basic Custom timing
------------------
Here's a nice update for those who have Reference cards.
In the package included, i've put 4 roms with VDDC offset.

1. -50mV
2. -69mV
3. -81mV
4. -100mV

You can of course adjust these however you want, if you want to have an even tighter undervolt you can search the rom for this --> "8D 00 F8(-50)00" and replace the F8 part with EE(-112) for example.

These roms also have a custom timing included. It's a basic one but it will give you a very high increase for XMR.

Greetings and have fun!

Link: Link

- Atikmdag Patcher if you have driver issues -> Here

----------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, posted this over at bitcointalk.

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1584617.0

Open for discussions in here though :tongue:

Short overview:

Results.

First run (no mod): 24Mh+ : Core clock 1275, Mem Clock 2000
https://s10.postimg.org/4rbj8v2m1/Stock_Test_Run.png

Second run (modded): 28Mh : Same clocks, so: 1275, 2000
https://s9.postimg.org/byc2sahgf/mem_Edit_Testrun1.png

Next run (still modded): 30.5 - 31Mh : Lowered core to 1192 and raised memory to the (for now) max of 2250.
https://s9.postimg.org/4azgwfo27/mem_Edit_Testrun_Final.png

Then, for my final(for now) run: 31.5-32Mh : Raised core to 1220 and raised memory to 2275
https://s10.postimg.org/vqo4i0m2x/mem_Edit_Testrun_Final2.png

Will be doing more tests later, i'm sure i'll be able to go over 32Mh.
Great thing about this, when i ran the first testrun with stock clocks, card was at around 60 degrees and no abnormal fan speed.

Overall, awesome card Smiley

Power usage tests will follow later when i'm done tweaking my rom to the sweet spot Smiley

Greetings!
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm assuming this will apply to the 4GB model as its basically exactly the same...?

but that looks awesome so far....

• ImLostImLost Member Posts: 22
    Need that power usage
    ImLost said:

Need that power usage

lol patients, I'm sure one he has the figs he will let us all know. I'd expect 180ish and more for dual mining.

luckily I built my 6x480 card rig with dual 850w psu :) just in case :)
  • TrantidonTrantidon Member Posts: 65
    Very promising
  • ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    boysie said:

ImLost said:

Need that power usage

lol patients, I'm sure one he has the figs he will let us all know. I'd expect 180ish and more for dual mining.

ahh, I guess i need more psu juice to add onto my single 1050W..
  • trump104trump104 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Noob question how are you modding it? You dont mean just clocking the cores or?
    It looks like it's drawing almost 120W per card for running almost 32MH.

Gonna need that new psu addon soon.

1e.PNG 99.4K
    32mhs for only 120W? you kidding?
  • TrantidonTrantidon Member Posts: 65
    If anyone else tries it please let us know, much appreciated (:
    trump104 said:

that's at the GPU that's actually quite a lot. at 24Mh its about half that.

Stability though will be key. doing it for 10 mins is one thing...2-3 days it altogether another story.

how ever that fact it can do it even if it were for a short stint is a good sign the hardware is capable we just need the code to make it work harder :)
  • mpunishermpunisher Member Posts: 19
    can you poste a screen of core , memory from wattman
    boysie said:

trump104 said:

Stability though will be key. doing it for 10 mins is one thing...2-3 days it altogether another story.

how ever that fact it can do it even if it were for a short stint is a good sign the hardware is capable we just need the code to make it work harder :)
    Ok, thats more reasonable
  • WoolingJumperWoolingJumper Member Posts: 32
    Eagerly waiting here. Thank you so much for this Heliox. I am a day away from buying 6 more reference ones. This may be worth the wait.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    boysie said:

I'm assuming this will apply to the 4GB model as its basically exactly the same...?

Yeah and no.. You're limited by the memory.. So a raise in hash, yes, getting 32Mh, mm i don't think so.. But who knows ;)
    ImLost said:

Need that power usage

yeah, me too.. :wink:
    trump104 said:

That would be awesome if it was only adjusting the cores :tongue:
    trump104 said:

I'm not, GPU-Z could be though..
    boysie said:

trump104 said:

I'm definitely not worried about the stability. I'm very sure it will last.
    Temperatures didn't go over 70 degrees when pushing it (last picture).
    So i'm very sure this is stable ;)
    mpunisher said:

You're kidding right? I included the GPU-Z readings for a reason...
    Well once ready happy to flash. I have 1 8gb and 5 4gb. But depends on the process you are using. But once u are ready to let us try it...
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100
    How to active mod ???
  • TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    *Applause*

You going to work on 470's next? :D
    Can't wait for you to provide more juicy info on your mods ;))

Heliox said:

boysie said:

Yeah and no.. You're limited by the memory.. So a raise in hash, yes, getting 32Mh, mm i don't think so.. But who knows ;)
    ImLost said:

Need that power usage

yeah, me too.. :wink:
    trump104 said:

That would be awesome if it was only adjusting the cores :tongue:
    trump104 said:

I'm not, GPU-Z could be though..
    boysie said:

trump104 said:

I'm definitely not worried about the stability. I'm very sure it will last.
    Temperatures didn't go over 70 degrees when pushing it (last picture).
    So i'm very sure this is stable ;)
    mpunisher said:

You're kidding right? I included the GPU-Z readings for a reason...

• LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Awesome results!

good to see you figured out the Windows driver signature enforcement, it's what has held back my experimentation thus far.

@boysie if these are launch-day "4GB" reference cards then yes, physically identical with same 8GB memory chips, should be indistinguishable performance once flashed.

But... later true 4GB 470 or 480 are a different beast entirely, using different VRAM which will require different BIOS & timings, and won't reach the same heights. (the 4GB 470s seem to use Hynix instead of Samsung)
    Thx @Logicaluser,

Funny thing is, i tried it on ubuntu as well, i didn't get the same results tbh. (Driver on Windows for RX* cards is a lot better)..

Simplest way to test is to flash an 8GB rom on a 4GB card, you'll notice quite quickly if it's one that "was" software locked.

Anyhow, as i've said before, if i would modify the 4GB versions the same as i would have done with mine, results would be far better as well.
    But i don't think they'll be hitting 30+ any time soon :tongue:

Greetings
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Great job @Heliox! Can't wait to try it out on my 6 RX 480 rig!

Awesome results!

good to see you figured out the Windows driver signature enforcement, it's what has held back my experimentation thus far.

@boysie if these are launch-day "4GB" reference cards then yes, physically identical with same 8GB memory chips, should be indistinguishable performance once flashed.

But... later true 4GB 470 or 480 are a different beast entirely, using different VRAM which will require different BIOS & timings, and won't reach the same heights. (the 4GB 470s seem to use Hynix instead of Samsung)

hehe indeed these are...I got the email from overclockers about notifying me of the now in stock 480s when it arrived I clicked and visited the store to find +10 in stock @ £175 each...I ordered 2 there and then...so min's after the release time window...10 min later I went back and ordered 2 more :) still £175...I posted on this forum that they were there and about 15 min later the price had risen ...I think that classes as release version :)

I have one from a few weeks later from amazon and it looks identical also, I also have 1 8GB ref and it also is identical bar the label :)

so I think I'm good :)

Boysie
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Heliox yeah the 4GB 470 are in rough shape from a mining perspective
    From the reports I've seen they switch to a different strap when OCed above 1750mhz, and stock performance is no better than R9 380

With luck this signature enforcement bypass can be adapted to Win7 as well.
    I'll do some tests later this week on Win 7..

Dunno if it's worth it to go out and buy a 470.. maybe at a later point.
  • banzsoltbanzsolt Member Posts: 41
    Hi
    boysie said:

ImLost said:

Need that power usage

Didn't you had any issues installing your rig? I spent my whole day today trying to set up a 6x RX480 8GB rig, the best I could get out of my rig was 2 cards working...
    edited August 2016
    banzsolt said:

Hi

boysie said:

ImLost said:

Need that power usage

Didn't you had any issues installing your rig? I spent my whole day today trying to set up a 6x RX480 8GB rig, the best I could get out of my rig was 2 cards working...
    I had issues with 5GPU being detected..once new driver came out it all worked fine..i still had issues though but that turned out to b having 2 on the same molex string. they melted the cables buy drawing way to much power.

replaced my 750 + 430 psu setup (was only on 5 cards) with dual 850w P2 and added 6th card...all fine now. drivers still suck a little but no where near as poor as the 470's

Boysie
    @Heliox I think you have our attention...when do you think you will be ready to let the world have the process to achieve this?

Thanks

Boysie

PS: happy to send you some MH if this all works out credit where credit due etc...
  • marvykkiomarvykkio Member Posts: 18
    the problem are the molex, replace them, and you'll see that everything works before you install the drivers, place card at a time, then go to device management, and checks that the card is read by the system, continue by entering a time card, until all cards and 6 are read, and then install the drivers
    Ok, so did a dual mining run as well because a few were asking for it.

Results: Core 1220, mem 2000. Eth speed: close to 28Mh, Sia: around 400+Mh.

Reference: https://s4.postimg.org/51a5mgs2l/dcri30.png

Greetings
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Heliox said:

Ok, so did a dual mining run as well because a few were asking for it.

Results: Core 1220, mem 2000. Eth speed: close to 28Mh, Sia: around 400+Mh.

Reference: https://s4.postimg.org/51a5mgs2l/dcri30.png

Greetings

sounds amazing ! i have around 20 of those ref cards , does this include a core and mem unervolt though? that would be needed to keep power usage down

here in the us you cant find anymore ref 480s so i bought a few 470s or every brand to test. the weakest are the msi cards max mem is 1700 the 4gb oc ones , sahpires can go to 1800 but thats still low.

im seeing 22 to 23 mhs range for the 470s stock with mem maxed we can proably get them to 24 mhs .

you cant really compare them to 380s since they only use 100 to 120 wats and run super cool under 70 degrees.

i think mods on threse cards could produce outsanding results too at least the 8gb 470s and nom 4gb msi cards