Quick Start Guide To Mine Ethereum

Comments

• MachineGunnerMachineGunner Member Posts: 4
    Can I mine other coins the same way that I do for ETH ? Can I use the same gear ? Surely I need different software configuration ? Thank you
  • mbeh4sh1mbeh4sh1 Member Posts: 4
    I just started mining using ethermine pool. I have not earned a lot of either but if I want to test or move to another pool how do I solve current hashed either in ethermine ?
  • mshordjamshordja Member Posts: 70
    mbeh4sh1 said:

I just started mining using ethermine pool. I have not earned a lot of either but if I want to test or move to another pool how do I solve current hashed either in ethermine ?

yes i am interested in the same thing, now i am testing Nicehash, but no one want to give me some advice who is better :cold_sweat:
  • alisultankhan3alisultankhan3 Member Posts: 3
    agent412 said:

PLEASE READ THIS, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR. We'd like to keep this forum clean of repeat questions. Thanks!

I've made this quick guide to help people new to mining, and I'll add to it if I missed anything. I hope this helps.

Hardware requirements to start mining.

GPU: It's up to you to choose what graphics card you want to mine with. Do your homework. How much is it. How much power does it need. How fast is it in terms of its hash rate. The GPU must have at least 2GB of memory, AMD cards are best to use and AMD GPU driver 15.12. This Mining Hardware Comparison list is very helpful. http://62.212.74.86/~mining/list/

Motherboard: You'll need a motherboard that has enough PCIe x16 and PCIe x1 slots to support the ammout of graphics cards you plan on using in your rig. The Asrock H81 Pro BTC and Asrock H97 Anniversary, are both good boards to use, they are relatively cheap and they can support 6 graphics cards with 1 PCIe x16 slot and 5 PCIe x1 slot. And you will need to buy a power button, obviously to turn on your rig.

Riser Cables: To use the PCIe x1 slots on your motherboard, will need to buy PCIe x1 to x16 riser card extender cables, it can also be used on the PCIe x16 slot. It's also great to give your cards some space from each other. I would recommend buying 1 or 2 extra ones, because sometimes you'll get one that doesn't work.

CPU: You'll want to buy a CPU that fits your motherboard. If you go with the Asrock H81 Pro BTC or Asrock H97 Anniversary, the Intel Celeron G1820 or G1840 works just fine for it.

Power Supply: You'll need to calculate how much power you need. For example, I have a 6 card AMD R7 370 rig, each card uses 110watts of power for a total of 660watts, and the rest of the rig uses about 200watts. So knowing this rig will need 860watts of power, I went with a good 1000watt power supply that came will all the necessary cables.

Hard Drive: A 60GB hard drive is all you need, and you can find a small solid state drive now for a good price.

RAM: A minimum of 4GB of RAM.

You'll also need to buy a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and its best to use an Ethernet connection not WIFI. You may temporarily need an optical drive, to install your drivers and Operating System. If you can do all that with a flash drive, that's great too.

Mining

In this link from Nanopool.org, http://eth.nanopool.org/help, you'll find 3 mining clients you can easily download and configure to start mining. Claymore Dual Miner, Genoil Miner, and EthMiner.

For example. I use Ethminer and I point it to nanopool, so I edited the start.bat file so it looks like this:
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    ethminer -M -G -F http://eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:8888/YOUR_WALLET/YOUR_WORKER_NAME

Then all you have to do is just run the bat file and you're mining away.

You should know where your DAG file is, because if you don't keep an eye on it, your hard drive may quickly fill up. You only need the 2 most recent DAG files so it's OK to delete any older ones, but sometimes you'll have to delete all of them. For me, I just had to search for the folder "Ethash" and put a shortcut of it on the desktop.

Also some helpful tips.

Set your rig to turn on when power is connected, AND set your miner to run on startup. Just google run on startup. It's a must and you'll love it when your power goes out and you're not home. When your power comes back on, your rig will turn on and start mining again.

Use a remote desktop. I use Google Chrome Remote Desktop, and I set it up on all my rigs. From my phone or another computer, I can control any of my rigs and keep an eye on them.

sir can you tell me gpu amd radeon hd 8670m give how much hashing power for ethereum mining
  • TeeBusaTeeBusa Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this info, seeing that this post was in 2016 my question is, is the hardware mentioned on this post still good for mining altcoins? or is there new and better hardware out? especially the graphic cards?

second question; I noticed the difficulty of ETH have raised drastically from the time this post was written not sure if one would still profit mining ETH with this set up but would you advice mining other altcoins like Ethereum Classic, Monero, etc?

Thanks, Please excuse with me I'm new to mining Cryto by myself I want to invest in good hardware that will bring me good returns.
  • udinjaegerudinjaeger Member Posts: 2
    hello,guys
    how long your mining rig make money for you? how many years?

• wgjhonathanwgjhonathan Member Posts: 4
    Please Who knows how to setup ethos to mine for example 5 different coins with 5 different rigs using the remote confin in a same ethos panel.
  • virgiltuvirgiltu Member Posts: 8
    Odd question, is it still worth to mine Ether with GPU?
  • HolzammerHolzammer Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have created my batch file for claymore miner. But I always get the message: OpenCL cerror 61 or error 38 - cannot allocate big buffer for DAG or cannot write buffer for DAG. What is wrong? Sorry I´m not only bad in English language, also in computing. But eventually someone can help.
    Regards
    Hans

• zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Hi guys, need some help pls.
    Ystday received RX480 8gb card ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-480p8dfa6 )

win10 pro / x64
    latest AMD driver
    card has samsung memory

I tried to mod bios, I just copyed values from 1750 strap to 2000 strap.
    After bios flash and restart, my card is "unrecognised" by the system - I get that yellow exclamation in device manager.
    AFAIK that was the issue in win7 but not win10.
    Pls help, what am I missing here?

Thanks!
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
  • KALIKALI Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thank you so much for sharing
  • xaldupisxaldupis Member Posts: 4
    hi all,

Now in my rig i have 2xMSI rx480 gaming X 8gb and 1xMSI rx580 gaming X+ 8gb and works smoothly (mining with stock rom yet and 17.5.2 from amd site).

The question is that if i add 3x Sapphire Radeon Nitro + RX 580 8GB the rig will work fine? in other words is it possible to work with 2 different vendors in the same rig ( msi + sapphire )?

Thanks in advance!
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    @xaldupis Yes, your rig will work just fine.
  • xaldupisxaldupis Member Posts: 4
  • transporter1989transporter1989 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Guys, i have problems with Mining Ethereum after few days.
    Have tried a lot reinstall driver, install old driver but no succcess so far.

I use a RX480 PowerColor Reddevil.

Here is my Batch:
    SETX GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 90
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 90
    ethminer.exe -G --opencl-device 0 -F http://eth-eu.dwarfpool.com:80/0xA08450aB2e575CF59c021e8769A6581db4886EeD/Tower_GPU

-
    ethminer.exe --list-devices
    Listing OpenCL devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
    [0] Ellesmere
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 8589934592
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 4244635648
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256

-
    ethminer.exe -G --opencl-device 0 -F http://eth-eu.dwarfpool.com:80/0xA08450aB2e575CF59c021e8769A6581db4886EeD/Tower_GPU
    No GPU device with sufficient memory was found. Can't GPU mine. Remove the -G argument

Some idea whats the problem?

Hi Guys, i have problems with Mining Ethereum after few days.
    Have tried a lot reinstall driver, install old driver but no succcess so far.

I use a RX480 PowerColor Reddevil.

Here is my Batch:
    SETX GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 90
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 90

-
    ethminer.exe --list-devices
    Listing OpenCL devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
    [0] Ellesmere
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 8589934592
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 4244635648
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256

-
    No GPU device with sufficient memory was found. Can't GPU mine. Remove the -G argument

Some idea whats the problem?

Did you mod your bios?
  • CapitalmindCapitalmind Member Posts: 1
    Great guide and links thank you. What is the correlation between GPU processor speed and ram required? Is a 4Gb or 8Gb card essential? Isn't speed key not memory? If not, is there a rule of thumb for how much ram needed?
  • ECOdECOd Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys!

I am planing to build mining rig for 2000$-3000$ and i dont have idea what can i get for this price.
    Can you recomend me a few options?
  • PenechoPenecho Member Posts: 8
    So what i am kind of missing is a general tutorial on how the whole process works after i got some ETH. Can someone explain that to me?

I created a wallet at myetherwallet, got an address and mined with it a littlebit in a pool (my real HW is not here yet). What i thought would happen was the following:
    Mine with my address in a pool --> earn ETH --> ETH gets payed to myetherwallet address --> i create a account at poloniex and xfer my ETH to there --> sell for BTC/cash

Now i have read i should mine to poloniex directly? Means when i create an account there i get a addree too? What are advantages/disadvantages? Does it in general work like I described above?
  • hosakahosaka Member Posts: 7
    Penecho said:

Now i have read i should mine to poloniex directly? Means when i create an account there i get a addree too? What are advantages/disadvantages? Does it in general work like I described above?

I think the general idea is your wallet is your wallet, you have access to it and you're in charge. Generally pools discourage you from xfer directly to an exchange wallet, but there's no reason for it not to work. Depending on your paranoia level, you'd prefer to keep your mined rewards in a separate wallet, like metamask, rather than on the exchange. And yes, it would work generally as you described. You can xfer your ETH to an exchange wallet and trade to your hearts content!
  • hosakahosaka Member Posts: 7
    ECOd said:

Hi guys!
    I am planing to build mining rig for 2000$-3000$ and i dont have idea what can i get for this price.
    Can you recomend me a few options?

A better approach would be to estimate what hardware can yield better results, combined with your electricity cost and budget from there. There's a bunch of mining calculators there, but take those as a huge approximation, as there is also mining pool fees, miner client fees etc. Look around for different GPUs and sum up hashrate/power consumption to put in your calculations. Once you think you found a good balance of cost/return - build your rig.
    Does it matter what kind od Pci-e riser to use (molex, sata, 6pin)??
  • ben264ethben264eth Member Posts: 4
    hello guys
    i have an msi rx 480 gaming x 8gb
    can somone help me with making a rom for my card
    i tryied flashing some of the roms shared here but non of them works
    thanks
  • JustCauseJustCause Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for this guide. Can anyone tell me what is best drivers to use for Sapphire Nitro rx 470 (no + version)?

I mine only eth, without dual mining.
  • fynxgloirefynxgloire Member Posts: 10
    Hi I am new to this and had some questions.
    I want to try mining without a pool.
    I downloaded geth and ran the following command:
    "geth account new"
    I created a password and it gave a long number, is this long number my wallet?

Then I ran the following command:
    "geth --rpc"
    But it is almost 10 ours now, the command line has not returned.
    The latest line shows:
    INFO [06-21|03:48:53] Imported new chain segment blocks=1 txs=50 mgas=4.692 elapsed=73.167ms mgasps=64.128 number=3904497 hash=53887b…43073b

I scrolled up a bit and saw some red errors as shown below:
    ERROR[06-20|22:01:15] Failed to unregister sync peer peer=61d87a1d7c6dd16e err="peer is not registered"
    ERROR[06-20|22:01:15] Peer removal failed peer=61d87a1d7c6dd16e err="peer is not registered"

Is there something I missed or should I keep waiting till the command line comes back?

Also when do I setup a wallet during all of the steps?
    Do I need to setup a wallet before running the above commands?

Regards
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    Im totaly new to this and will give it a shot.
    Never heard of bat files and how to change settings with codes etc..
    Guess it will be a steep learning curve :)
    Thanks for all the postings for us newbies!
  • IT_MasterIT_Master Member Posts: 31
    lablett said:

Try this -

11. Install ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
    a. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Is there same app for Nvidia GTX?
  • tanooshtanoosh Member Posts: 1
    where to find a current ethminer for win10, gtx1070 rig?

I'm totally new as well, and gotten as far as starting the miner, which failed because of parms on the given list as provided by pool site (ethermine.org):

ethminer.exe --farm-recheck 200 -G -S eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -FS us1.ethermine.org:4444 -O .

the unacceptable parm was "-FS". removing it was also unacceptable. removing the fallover site was also unacceptable. Removing the offending parms one by one, let the miner run to it's next point of failure - database link failure.

the miner I download was genoil's 0.9.41 - 1.0.5
    every other miner I've found is rejected FORCEFULLY by Norton, and indeed I see posts articulating caution about the safety of dl's on genoils list. I've removed the Mining folder from norton's scan list, but feel a need for a friendly pointer to safe, working miner.

I pray if this is the WRONG place to post this question, please direct me to the RIGHT place to post the question.
  • mohamedhaqmohamedhaq Member Posts: 2
    Please i need help, i need AMD rx 470 , it is not available