RX 470 mining

Comments

• Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

Thanks a lot for this I was able to mod the 4GB MSI OC cards reall cheap right now $199 per card to get around 27.8 mhs

the card getting only 26 mhs is using 1850 mem vs 1950 and 950 mem. I need to double check if the mem values are holding with GPU z.

the 1950 rom also caps the core clock at 1126, still need to figure out and undervolt for the core

I suspect I could get 29 mhs with this card if I do 2100 or 2050 mem easily temps hold with 50% fan at 74 degrees this cards are sick.

power use is 4 amps at 240v for 5 cards plus the i5 and 16gb ram so that's minus 100 watts that's 146 per card dual mining.

Solo eth I can get it down to 3 amps which is really good 100 watts or so per card

and for the haters that don't share here is the link

I also create Hynix Sapire ones that should do the exact same thing not tested yet but with dual bios you can experiment.

Now we need somone to work on these and reduce power use

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r663spb3vm799b5/AADEd0WbQKrVBSX5KqHRZcpqa?dl=0
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    guys im new to the eth world, but im expecting 4 cards, this model:

ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon Rx 470 4GB OC

Any suggetion to get some improve like you?

• sakuleosakuleo Member Posts: 10
    What are the configs for max hasrate. I dont care power draw have free electrycity but i have to take care for twmps ands amps (reason wy i have to change all mi 7970 rigs to 470 or 480
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Read back, it's been told days ago.
    Check my screen with 29mh.
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Zorg33 said:

Zorg33, why don't you share your bios here
  • maikgreenmaikgreen Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    Zorg33 said:

With your settings I raise power limit of 30% with dual mining. Dangerous to raise the power limit and it should be?

• zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

Thanks a lot for this I was able to mod the 4GB MSI OC cards reall cheap right now $199 per card to get around 27.8 mhs

the card getting only 26 mhs is using 1850 mem vs 1950 and 950 mem. I need to double check if the mem values are holding with GPU z.

the 1950 rom also caps the core clock at 1126, still need to figure out and undervolt for the core

I suspect I could get 29 mhs with this card if I do 2100 or 2050 mem easily temps hold with 50% fan at 74 degrees this cards are sick.

power use is 4 amps at 240v for 5 cards plus the i5 and 16gb ram so that's minus 100 watts that's 146 per card dual mining.

Solo eth I can get it down to 3 amps which is really good 100 watts or so per card

I also create Hynix Sapire ones that should do the exact same thing not tested yet but with dual bios you can experiment.

Thanks for sharing your mod roms - safe to use these roms? whats the difference between two?
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2016
    Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Guys I read, but can't find the thread anymore, that you cannot go below 1.0V on these RXs by just editing the DPM states. This would explain why Blue1984 got down to 580mv without any change in Wattage: it would seem fairly impossible anyway to run a card this low while still getting 27Mh/s.

I think the proper way to undervolt, is by offset i.e. not setting fixed DPM values, but doing this in the ROM with Hex. It's pretty simple, but I don't have time to test this. Anyone willing to try and post results?

I've done it, and it works - you edit the DPM state, just not the base voltage.

Are you sure? I edited all dpm states which are higher then 1100 to 1100 and it didnt work, i had to go to wattman and explicitly click manual to get working on 920mv as i intended. So if i dont install wattman which is my goal it will not work...

• h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2016
    Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Guys I read, but can't find the thread anymore, that you cannot go below 1.0V on these RXs by just editing the DPM states. This would explain why Blue1984 got down to 580mv without any change in Wattage: it would seem fairly impossible anyway to run a card this low while still getting 27Mh/s.

I think the proper way to undervolt, is by offset i.e. not setting fixed DPM values, but doing this in the ROM with Hex. It's pretty simple, but I don't have time to test this. Anyone willing to try and post results?

Hi Wolf0, would you mind explaining how to find the offset in the Bios with a Hex editor? I've downloaded AtomBiosReader, opened the Jar and looked for VoltageObjectInfo. The only thing I can find is ATOM_VOLTAGE_OBJECT_INFO_V3_1, is this the same thing? When I search for the full offset in the Hex, I'm not finding the "8D 00 XX 00" we're supposed to find?

EDIT: was using the wrong AtomBios Reader.

Sorry if this is a noobish question, not too familiar with hex editors and such ;)

So VoltageObjectInfo shows as being there:
    0020: a998 Len 005a Rev 03:01 (VoltageObjectInfo/VRAM_GPIO_DetectionInfo)

How do I find this in the Hex editor?
    Post edited by h311m4n on
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    Ordered up a few of the Powercolor Red Dragon 470s on Newegg and they are on the way. Only a 6 pin connector on these though, will post some results once up and running. Anyone having used them, welcome to your experience.
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    Guys are the Reference style RX470 Sapphire 4GB able to do 27MH via the BIOS mod as well?
    @nhando, around 26/27 it seems yes.

I need the help of Bios HEX modding experts here, this is for a Sapphire RX470 Nitro 8Gb.

Using AtomBiosReader, I've located the entry VoltageControlOffset at offset a9a3 which has a value of 0 (00). Can someone confirm this is the one that needs changing to, for example, F0 for -100mV?

Thanks
    Thanks @h311m4n . Can you confirm if that's with dual mining (How many ETH / How many Sia). Can use the same ROM as the Sapphire Nitro 4GB? This is the Reference style one. Want to make sure before I pull the trigger on teh order.
    Honestly I would only flash a card with a bios from the exact same card, especially since those 4Gb version don't have dual bios afaik. As for if it's with dual/single mining I couldn't tell you as I only have Sapphire RX470 Nitro 8GB. I'm pulling 27MH/s and 300DCR with this card, but not satisfied with power consumption...
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    i flashed mod bios to rx 470 sapphire, but driver not load on w7. Can someone post how to fix driver for mod bios?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Hi Wolf0, would you mind explaining how to find the offset in the Bios with a Hex editor? I've downloaded AtomBiosReader, opened the Jar and looked for VoltageObjectInfo. The only thing I can find is ATOM_VOLTAGE_OBJECT_INFO_V3_1, is this the same thing? When I search for the full offset in the Hex, I'm not finding the "8D 00 XX 00" we're supposed to find?

Sorry if this is a noobish question, not too familiar with hex editors and such ;)

There's an offset in PowerPlay as well. VoltageObjectInfo may or may not have one - if there is not, you can insert one, but doing that by paw is rough. Pain in the ass job.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    @jos
    zono said:

Marvell9 said:

Thanks for sharing your mod roms - safe to use these roms? whats the difference between two?
    @zono the msi 4gb one works for sure the sahpire 4gb is not tested
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Marvell9 awesome results, I look forward to playing around with mine :)
    Since you say the 4GB MSI is Hynix, the ASUS and Sapphire 4GB should be capable of similar, I just haven't had the time to fiddle with OCing recently.

The 8GB MSI cards are still an unknown, if they are indeed Micron memory it's very unusual for AMD... but could have some pretty good performance with tweaked timings, given Micron's work on GDDR5X.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Bios switch? The Sapphire RX 470 OC 4gb doesn't have dual bios ... does it? Maybe the Nitro does ...
    I'm looking into the Win 10 sig tool right away, ty for the tip.

yes you are correct. forgot about the nitro bit. :)
    Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

There's an offset in PowerPlay as well. VoltageObjectInfo may or may not have one - if there is not, you can insert one, but doing that by paw is rough. Pain in the ass job.
    This is getting more complicated than I expected. I don't have time to undertake such things and have little knowledge about such deep bios mods...

I don't know if it's to much to ask but you seem to know what you're doing, any chance maybe can take a look at the bios of a sapphire nitro 8gb and see what's possible?

@Marvell9 awesome results, I look forward to playing around with mine :)
    Since you say the 4GB MSI is Hynix, the ASUS and Sapphire 4GB should be capable of similar, I just haven't had the time to fiddle with OCing recently.

The 8GB MSI cards are still an unknown, if they are indeed Micron memory it's very unusual for AMD... but could have some pretty good performance with tweaked timings, given Micron's work on GDDR5X.

Anyone have experience with the 8GB MSI? I just ordered 6 of them to play. I thought MSI is good for both 4 or 8GB so I placed the order.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

This is getting more complicated than I expected. I don't have time to undertake such things and have little knowledge about such deep bios mods...

I don't know if it's to much to ask but you seem to know what you're doing, any chance maybe can take a look at the bios of a sapphire nitro 8gb and see what's possible?
    I've done it before for farmers with a lot of cards, so I could, I guess...
    Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

Wolf0 said:

h311m4n said:

I've done it before for farmers with a lot of cards, so I could, I guess...
    Lol well if you could and have time I'm sure some of us would be very grateful. I would really love doing this myself but I lack time to learn/test/understand all the bits and tricks to achieve this :(

If you don't want to or can't, no hard feelings.

I would gladly provide any assistance you need though (blue1984 probably too ;))!
    maikgreen said:

Zorg33 said:

With your settings I raise power limit of 30% with dual mining. Dangerous to raise the power limit and it should be?

Way too much power your card is using there.
    Lower voltages to 925mV

Power Limit itself does nothing, it's an upper limit. It does nothing until you reach it.
    But potentially you cant reach it undervolted. Just set it at max, and don't care about it.
    As far as I got searching after adjusting MVDDC, we are unable to set it, because it most likely controlled by a separate IC, no? Only hardmod....

So what would be our goal with that powerplay offset? I dont get it exactly.
    To have automatically adjusted voltage but lowered with a negative offset?
    That would be good for gamers, but not for miners.
    We use the cards 24/7 on top DPM state with fixed clocks/voltages. It does not matter how efficient the card is under partial load.

So what is the point?

• dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    @Zorg33 Thanks for all the breadcrumbs, got my 470 "ref" doing 27.9-28.5MH/s while dual mining. Going to start stepping down the voltage.

No idea how much power it's using, I bumped the power limit to 120W... need to retrieve my power meter from my off-site 480 rig.
    dephcon said:

@Zorg33 Thanks for all the breadcrumbs, got my 470 "ref" doing 27.9-28.5MH/s while dual mining. Going to start stepping down the voltage.

No idea how much power it's using, I bumped the power limit to 120W... need to retrieve my power meter from my off-site 480 rig.

Which Reference RX470 and is it 4GB or 8GB. How much SIA? Can you share the details and what specific ROM you used?
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2016
    @nhando there's only one 470 with a reference cooler on the market. I just extracted the stock rom from the card and used a hodgepodge of all the setting posted. running 1200mhz/925mv core and 2100mhz/940mem using the timings from the 1500mhz strap. i also boosted to power limit to 120.

i'm using -drci 20 for sia difficulty and my sia hashrate is exactly my ETH hashrate with an extra zero... so 28.12MH ETH = 281.2MH SIA. if i use drci 22 my eth drops by about 0.6MH and i gain ~8% sia
    Is that the Sapphire Reference card? Those are good numbers.