RX 470 mining

Comments

• cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    guys.. I am running 25mh on my RX 470 (4GB) - modded bios

Core -= everything stock
    Mem = 1980mhz @ 1175mv (will try to lower it soon)

hard to get the memory stable with lower voltages
    Anybody here can share their settings?
    EpicNod said:

Do you have any idea why my card is not detected by the driver when I flash modded rom?
    unless I reflash the original bios on the card nothing helps... tried removing and reinstalling the driver, ofcource booting up windows w/o the signature verification. I followed a basic guide on how to flash it , i've tried @uray 's bios, and tried my own original bios with his modded timings... I even could boot with that one card alone, and yet the driver is not detecting the card.... anything i'm missing? :(

patch amd file in system32?
  • h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30

@h311m4n most of the people creating roms are either not dual mining, or are running windows + undervolting as well. I'd imagine it's drawing too much power and throttling.

This is all in the the very early experimental stage, if your not comfortable with timing editing you certainly can use somebody else's BIOS file, but you will need to adjust clocks/voltages/etc... to suit.

Well, I'm currently running a rig with a 390X and a 380X at 50Mh/s, 466W @ the wall. Modded the bios best I could on the 2 cards to get the wattage down by undervolting and underclocking the core.

I sort of expected to be able to run the RX470's at less than 400W. Using Uray's latest rom, I got my 2 470's to run @ 27Mh/s dual mining on Ubuntu 16 on a system with a recycled Q6600 I underclocked to 1.2GHz, all that @ 405W.

I think the system idles at around 77W, so this seems quite high to me because it means that each card runs at around 160W

One question regarding unervolting on the RX470: do the core and the memory need to have the same voltage?
    h311m4n said:

One question regarding unervolting on the RX470: do the core and the memory need to have the same voltage?

not really
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @h311m4n @cscheat I have four 4GB Asus RX470 (Hynix) running at 26.4mh each, using 535w at the wall. (Platinum PSU)

This is using ETH-only mode clocked at 1075/1870 with mem timings adjusted several notches
    Both core & memory controller at 0.95v.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Vcore has to be at least Vmemctrlr. The Vcore is raised automatically if you set it lower.
    Im still curious if there's a workaround for that. Because typically we need about 925mV for core and 950+ for mem.
    Someone please try adjusting them directly in bios and also the Vmem directly :)

@h311m4n @cscheat I have four 4GB Asus RX470 (Hynix) running at 26.4mh each, using 535w at the wall. (Platinum PSU)

This is using ETH-only mode clocked at 1075/1870 with mem timings adjusted several notches

Im using Nitro 4GB.. is it the same Hynix Chip as yours? Do you mind to share you rom here?

I did copy the 1750 mem info to replace 2000 in Polaris editor... any advice
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @cscheat check GPU-Z, it'll tell you memory brand. I believe 4GB Sapphire is Hynix, 8GB is Samsung.
    I caution against using roms from different non-reference cards, but IIRC I'm using the 1625 strap?

@Zorg33 I've noticed that as well with my 470s and wattman.

But... I have a suspicion that vcore below vmemcontroller may be possible with Polaris when using lower DPM states, I once had a wattman glitch leave my 480 stuck in a lower DPM state where GPU-Z reported vcore was well below what I'd set for memory controller.
    (altho... perhaps it also lowered vmemcontroller behind scenes)

@Wolf0 @Heliox you guys notice anything interesting about a relationship between the two?

@cscheat check GPU-Z, it'll tell you memory brand. I believe 4GB Sapphire is Hynix, 8GB is Samsung.
    I caution against using roms from different non-reference cards, but IIRC I'm using the 1625 strap?

But... I have a suspicion that vcore below vmemcontroller may be possible with Polaris when using lower DPM states, I once had a wattman glitch leave my 480 stuck in a lower DPM state where GPU-Z reported vcore was well below what I'd set for memory controller.

@Wolf0 @Heliox you guys notice anything interesting about a relationship between the two?

mind to share your screenshot of the polaris editor?? 1625 strap all the way to 2000 ?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    cscheat said:

mind to share your screenshot of the polaris editor?? 1625 strap all the way to 2000 ?
    You can do it at higher ones, too - just offset the voltage. You can't do it in the editor, though.
  • ulfbertulfbert Member Posts: 64
    I'm running on ubuntu 14.04. I can't get device info with AMDpro driver or set fans from what I can see . Do these cards run hot ? The piping on the top of the card with stock settings seems to be somewhat hot...
    ulfbert said:

I'm running on ubuntu 14.04. I can't get device info with AMDpro driver or set fans from what I can see . Do these cards run hot ? The piping on the top of the card with stock settings seems to be somewhat hot...

/sys/class/drm/cardX/device/hwmon/hwmonY/temp1_input -- also there is pwm1_max (max fan setting) and pwm1 (current fan setting.)
  • EpicNodEpicNod Member Posts: 15
    cscheat said:

EpicNod said:

Do you have any idea why my card is not detected by the driver when I flash modded rom?
    unless I reflash the original bios on the card nothing helps... tried removing and reinstalling the driver, ofcource booting up windows w/o the signature verification. I followed a basic guide on how to flash it , i've tried @uray 's bios, and tried my own original bios with his modded timings... I even could boot with that one card alone, and yet the driver is not detecting the card.... anything i'm missing? :(

patch amd file in system32?
    I did not patch any file, none of the tutorials i've found mentioned it... So that is what i've missed. And that is the reason we need to disable singature verification... what file exactly?
    edited August 2016

Pretty impressive, I'm guessing your system idles at something like 65W so that's roughly in the 120W/card I guess. Not bad. I tweaked one of my 470s (sapphire 8G) a bit more, got to 229W for the whole system. The system idles at 92-93W so that's a 136W for the card while mining at 27 ETH/297 DCR (dcri at 22).

Btw in the polaris bios editor, how does the powertune (TDP, power limit etc.) impact the hashrate/wattage? It's never been completely clear to me. For instance uray has very high values in there while Blue1984 left everything at default from stock Bios. Both report getting 27Mh/s for eth.

Oh and finally, i waste so much time moving the card between my linux rig and my windows 7 desktop to tweak the Bios. Is there an Atiflash that runs on a bootable stick but is compatible with RX470s? That way I could just flash the damn thing and leave it on the rig!
    edited August 2016
    @EpicNod

try search for atikmdag.sys in this forum. easy
    @Wolf0 @Logicaluser thanks for the input

anybody please share your bios here for Sapphire RX 470 (4GB)
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    cscheat said:

@Wolf0 @Logicaluser thanks for the input

anybody please share your bios here for Sapphire RX 470 (4GB)

Yeah I need a bios for these as well as the 8G and 4G MSI, I'm working on doing the bios myself for the sapphire nitros since they are dual bios and you can't really brick them. All the single bios cards its too risky to mod them unless you are a pro
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    @cscheat i finally got the bios editor going today. 24.5/25 with 2000mhz/1000mv ram and 1100mhz core on sapphire 470 oc (non-nitro)
    dephcon said:

@cscheat i finally got the bios editor going today. 24.5/25 with 2000mhz/1000mv ram and 1100mhz core on sapphire 470 oc (non-nitro)

is that the reference Saphire ? can you try and crank up mem to 2125
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    it failed in ubuntu desktop at 2100/1000, might need to boost the voltage. i'm also reimaging my ubuntu box with 16.04 server so there will be less stress on the gpu trying to render the desktop env
    Guys I read, but can't find the thread anymore, that you cannot go below 1.0V on these RXs by just editing the DPM states. This would explain why Blue1984 got down to 580mv without any change in Wattage: it would seem fairly impossible anyway to run a card this low while still getting 27Mh/s.

I think the proper way to undervolt, is by offset i.e. not setting fixed DPM values, but doing this in the ROM with Hex. It's pretty simple, but I don't have time to test this. Anyone willing to try and post results?
    There we go, it's all here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1574652.120 in the middle of the page.
  • EpicNodEpicNod Member Posts: 15
    cscheat said:

@EpicNod

try search for atikmdag.sys in this forum. easy

yeah, the name of the file is enough, ty :)
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    rx 470 is undervolting king for me. i run sapphire rx 470 oc 21.5Mhs core at [email protected] mem [email protected] with stock bios. Can go to 760mV, but its unstable. trick is that, core and mem use same voltage and then gpu-z show correctly. Manage 136W for hole system from 200W original, hope 70W- per card.
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Best Stable Settings for Sapphire RX 470 OC 4GB (Hynix) Versions (tested on 10 cards) :
    Results : 26 Mh/s @ 70W (GPU-Z reported) and ~70C (measured while Eth Sia Dual mining with Claymore 6.2)

Steps to reproduce :
    Install drivers ( im using 16.8.2 no issues ), get AtiWinFlash and backup your bios someplace safe
    Using Polaris Bios Editor open your bios, Copy paste the 1500 strap timings to 1625, 1750 and 2000, no need to touch anything else, and save as a different file
    Use the Win 7 Fix (works in Win 10 but you have to disable signatures at every boot, so kinda painful), boot in safe mode and patch the Drivers, restart pc, load Wattman and use the following settings:

Core : 1000Mhz/818mv (half my cards are stable 1000/800 but stick to 818 to be safe)
    Mem : 1850Mhz/850mv (some may do better but this speed is generally safe)

These settings are optimized for lower power draw/heat primarily because I have 750W PSU's only and its pretty hot in India
    I was initially really disappointed with the RX 470 getting 21.5 ish, until the wonderful Polaris bios editor came along.
    With these simple, easy to reproduce settings you will be able to get the maximum out of your cheap ass RX 470's without needing extra cooling, and these settings have been stable on my 2 X 5 card rigs drawing 510W each for 12 hours now
    If you are on Linux, you can hardcode all settings into your bios and they should work on any Sapphire 4GB RX 470 ( also theoretically any RX 470 with Hynix mem )
    Higher hash rates are possible, as shown by @Zorg33 but they would come at higher power/heat
    Shoutout to @boysie for his regular updates, reading his posts helped me get my rigs up and running
    h311m4n said:

Guys I read, but can't find the thread anymore, that you cannot go below 1.0V on these RXs by just editing the DPM states. This would explain why Blue1984 got down to 580mv without any change in Wattage: it would seem fairly impossible anyway to run a card this low while still getting 27Mh/s.

I think the proper way to undervolt, is by offset i.e. not setting fixed DPM values, but doing this in the ROM with Hex. It's pretty simple, but I don't have time to test this. Anyone willing to try and post results?

I've done it, and it works - you edit the DPM state, just not the base voltage.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Best Stable Settings for Sapphire RX 470 OC 4GB (Hynix) Versions (tested on 10 cards) :
    Results : 26 Mh/s @ 70W (GPU-Z reported) and ~70C (measured while Eth Sia Dual mining with Claymore 6.2)

Steps to reproduce :
    Install drivers ( im using 16.8.2 no issues ), get AtiWinFlash and backup your bios someplace safe
    Using Polaris Bios Editor open your bios, Copy paste the 1500 strap timings to 1625, 1750 and 2000, no need to touch anything else, and save as a different file
    Use the Win 7 Fix (works in Win 10 but you have to disable signatures at every boot, so kinda painful), boot in safe mode and patch the Drivers, restart pc, load Wattman and use the following settings:

Core : 1000Mhz/818mv (half my cards are stable 1000/800 but stick to 818 to be safe)

These settings are optimized for lower power draw/heat primarily because I have 750W PSU's only and its pretty hot in India
    I was initially really disappointed with the RX 470 getting 21.5 ish, until the wonderful Polaris bios editor came along.
    With these simple, easy to reproduce settings you will be able to get the maximum out of your cheap ass RX 470's without needing extra cooling, and these settings have been stable on my 2 X 5 card rigs drawing 510W each for 12 hours now
    If you are on Linux, you can hardcode all settings into your bios and they should work on any Sapphire 4GB RX 470 ( also theoretically any RX 470 with Hynix mem )
    Higher hash rates are possible, as shown by @Zorg33 but they would come at higher power/heat
    Shoutout to @boysie for his regular updates, reading his posts helped me get my rigs up and running

ty for the nod.

May I ask what position is your bios switch? towards the HDMI plugs or towards the graphics card.

also you can get win10 to boot every time with out the need for option 7..either use the sig tool on windows 10 or use it on win7 and copy re sig file and the cert used to sig it. and set up on win10. my posts cover this so should be able to find it.

Boysie
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Bios switch? The Sapphire RX 470 OC 4gb doesn't have dual bios ... does it? Maybe the Nitro does ...
    I'm looking into the Win 10 sig tool right away, ty for the tip.

Steps to reproduce :

@RavinderDhillon wow that's a great result I have a bunch of 4GB MSI cards that use Hynix ram too I migt try the same thing. the wattage is really good too , how about the heat ?

If this works for the MSI all I need is something to figure out the Micron ram cards
  • c2n14c2n14 Member Posts: 22

Use the Win 7 Fix (works in Win 10 but you have to disable signatures at every boot, so kinda painful), boot in safe mode and patch the Drivers, ...

Could you explain, please, what is this 'Win 7 Fix' ?
    TIA