RX 470 mining

Comments

• oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2016

Got my red devil 4gb yesterday and set about overclocking it today.
    Getting 28 Eth and 310 SIA.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    oakey22 said:

Which strap is that?
  • m2itzm2itz Member Posts: 5
    zono said:

m2itz said:

Yes, I already got it. But this is it, nothing else to change? I'm getting constant driver crashes. Any thoughts?

maybe you overclocked memory too high or undervolted too low
    No overclock, just straight straps change, 1500 one to all higher ones.

If I switch back to original bios it works fine, I'm getting 24.5Mhs. Can someone mod my 8gb nitro+ bios?

Original 8gb nitro 470 bios here: https://www.upload.ee/files/6168548/bios_original.zip.html
  • djtim_austdjtim_aust Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2016
    Have been getting a dropping hash rate on one of my Sapphire Nitro 470 8gb cards flashed with Urays rom.

The hash rates continues to drop to about 12mh/s on one card with ASIC quality 68.4%:

Whereas the other card is on 28mh/s stable with ASIC quality 73.8% ASIC quality.

Thinking this is down to ASIC quality on the card with dropping hash rats but not sure how to diagnose or how to get the best out of the bad card...
    • Running Windows 10 & Claymore 7.0 ETH only & with original installed driver 16.8.2
    • Done all the driver signature changes with replaced atikmdag.sys successfully & re-enabled cards in Device Manager
    • Flashed my BIOSes with uray's 470 8gb ROM (Sapphire-RX470-8G-113-1E3470U.S4X-ETHMining-29MH-EnergyEfficient.rom); the original roms on each of the two cards had signature of 113-1E3470U.O5B in AtiWinflash.
    • Reflashed card with dropping rates with original rom, then started playing around with timings in Polaris bios editor. Strangely moving 1500 strap right up to 2000mhz value resulted in a rom that was causing a black screen on boot (with Wattman settings reset). Using 1750 strap in 2000mhz worked fine and giving a hash rate of around 27.5 mh/s. Is it normal for 1500 timing to cause instability with default Wattman settings?
    • Not sure why urays rom is problematic on that one card, and what to do next. Any suggestions on what to try next?
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    @djtim_aust is the card that is dropping hashrate throttling the GPU clock?
    What is the best way to validate that? Assuming a tool like GPU-Z and watching the clock rate over the period of time the rate is dropping?
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    GPU-Z. Look at the sensors tab. If your GPU clock isn't showing a solid red line, it is throttling.
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    work new 16.9.1 with claymore miner 7.0 ? I got stop working error after start mine
  • TinuTinu Member Posts: 8
    kemo6600 said:

Tinu said:

So I tried to flash my bios using the "simple" method, but I can't make any other Bios than the original work :/

I upgraded to 16.9.1 drivers, then made a simple mod on the bios by strapping 1500mhz timings, saved the bios, flashed with atiwinflash, and when I reboot the card is not recognized anymore. It's not bricked though, as flashing back to original bios is working perfectly (it's what I did btw). I'm clueless about what can I do here, it should be working according to what I read here. If someone as any idea. Thank you for your time :)

I had the same problem.
    Removed the drivers, then installed again , it failed, checked the log ana found error in HDMI drivers, re installed again but removed the check mark in front of the HDMI driver's.

Now every thing is working for me.

You are hero, it worked! Thank you !
    edited September 2016
    d3strange said:

osnwt said:

adaseb said:

msi 4gb 470, the efficiency is worse because its faster. I can get probably 4W/MHs but it would run crazy slow and won't be worth the power savings.

Sure it depends on particular power cost.

Still, I wonder how MMK got his results with Nitro+ 8GB: 29.9+300 @ 88.1W (GPU-Z, core only):

Wonder if it is possible to get at least 27+ with the same power consumption on 4GB cards dual mining...
    It absolutely is. You just need to get your GPU and MEM voltages pegged out below 900mV. I'm getting a few of my 4GB cards at 27mh/s with the GPU power ~81.5W per GPU-Z.
    Is it possible to unpeg Mem and GPU voltage? I used to run 840mv stable on both before overclocking memory from 1750 to 2k. Now I get grey screen of death and had to set voltage to 890mv. Is there a way to set gpu back to 840mv and keep memory at 890, or did I reach the limit of my undervolt? :p (-20% gpu [email protected] btw).
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Tinu said:

d3strange said:

osnwt said:

adaseb said:

msi 4gb 470, the efficiency is worse because its faster. I can get probably 4W/MHs but it would run crazy slow and won't be worth the power savings.

Sure it depends on particular power cost.

Still, I wonder how MMK got his results with Nitro+ 8GB: 29.9+300 @ 88.1W (GPU-Z, core only):

Wonder if it is possible to get at least 27+ with the same power consumption on 4GB cards dual mining...
    It absolutely is. You just need to get your GPU and MEM voltages pegged out below 900mV. I'm getting a few of my 4GB cards at 27mh/s with the GPU power ~81.5W per GPU-Z.
    Is it possible to unpeg Mem and GPU voltage? I used to run 840mv stable on both before overclocking memory from 1750 to 2k. Now I get grey screen of death and had to set voltage to 890mv. Is there a way to set gpu back to 840mv and keep memory at 890, or did I reach the limit of my undervolt? :p (-20% gpu [email protected] btw).
    Yes you can set a negative gpu voltage offset with WattTool
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    yes, I had to go up to 1150mV on Gigabyte 470 4GB to run mem at 1950MHz stable.
    and I gave -200mV Voffset to lower the VDDC to 950mV.
    Thank you guys for helping a noob :p
    edited September 2016
    @d3strange

Confirmed the card that is dropping hash rate isn't throttling as its solid red line in GPU-Z just like good card.

I also used PolarisBiosEditor on urays rom:
    1) increased voltage on max gpu core value of 1075 to 980mv (from 950)
    2) dropped memory max from 2235 to 2200.

Reflashed with above tweaks and hash rate still dropping :(

Good card

Bad card

Any ideas on what to do next?
  • sakuleosakuleo Member Posts: 10
    Some one hace te best hasrate setings on nitro 4gb whitout Mathers the consumption? I have free electricity and i need squeeze all juice
    edited September 2016
    @djtim_aust that's the phenomena that I call "faulty memory operation". You have to decrease memory clock further and/or increase VDDCI
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    Anyone see their RX470 especially the MSI take turn stopping the FAN for less than a second randomly and then continue to spin? This is not when it's running cold either, this is when all GPUs are hot and Ambient is over 90F which requires constant FAN speed. I'm wondering if this is why my RX470 rig with the MOD BIOS are not stable and require reboot every other day.

• TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    What is everyone's stability like with the BIOS flashes? I had my rig running for a week straight with no crashes with the stock BIOS and after the BIOS flash it crashes usually once every 24 hours. Not sure if I just need more tweaking or if that kind of stability is normal.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @nhando

Do you have just straps change or undervolt and/or overclock as well?
    Can anyone specifically attest to MSI gaming RX 470 4gb stability after strap change? i am not sure if power and clock adjustment makes them more or less stable?
    Thanks.
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Biodom said:

@nhando

Do you have just straps change or undervolt and/or overclock as well?
    Can anyone specifically attest to MSI gaming RX 470 4gb stability after strap change? i am not sure if power and clock adjustment makes them more or less stable?
    Thanks.

I just changed timings, everything else changed in msi afterburner.
    running stable for days now, 25mh with avg power draw 62mv (gpuz).
  • mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
    just to warn again, gpu-z read 75W on my 470 but after buying a watt-reader, it was 130W (i had already subtracted the 60W my rig was using without any GPUs)

so if you're investing for real, go buy a watt reader. they cost 20 USD and helps you plan your ROI accurately
  • masaki1988masaki1988 Member Posts: 13
    Guys i need your advice (i don t know what to do). I flash my msi 4gb version. Its works fine and give me 28 mhs. But sometimes card power of (mmm crashes driver?) and reboot my pc. Its happen randomly. Card can works all day fine but in next day again crash and then works fine all day again. So what i do wrong? i maxed power limite and set +1100 core clock and +2000 mem clock. Maybe +2000 is too high for msi version?. I don t know. Its happen randomly.

p.s i use msi afterburner for oc. my power supply is 600w.
    if it crashes resulting in reboot, it's absolutely fine then ;)
    Just set miner to autostart.
  • s3000ss3000s Member Posts: 14
    oakey22 said:

please tell me

how to up 30mh/s

it's good

and vddc to 0.8

good on 470 4gb
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Zorg33 said:

if it crashes resulting in reboot, it's absolutely fine then ;)
    Just set miner to autostart.

Unfortunately, instead of crashing and being able to reboot automatically, mine freezes until I go manually restart. I think I may have mem clocked too high or undervolted too much... I'm also thinking it may be caused specifically by the 1 out of 6 gpus that is the primary display one (in the main pcie x16 slot)

Any other idea what could be related to the freezing?
    edited September 2016
    @s3000s the 20 pages of this topic is all about "how to up 30mh/s". your welcome.
    Even my grandma gonna mine ETH next week if we continue this way.

@Truthchanter The main gfx card tends to freeze a lot more often because of frequent DRM state transitions. I also experienced that.
    Please try any tool that checks memory errors, there are some.
  • masaki1988masaki1988 Member Posts: 13
    So its happen not even to me but other people too?. Its normal? i mean its of course not normal but its happen not only to me?, Its happen random. As i say before card may work all day long and not crash. For example today on morning card crash 2 times but then work all day long fine. I have no idea what happen. But i try down core voltage and if i set it on +50 card crash more. But if i change it to 96 card stable more. So i don t understand whats wrong.
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    Most of the time it just locks up so auto start won't help. You have to manually power cycle it.

@Biodom I only changed the timing straps, no undervolting. My 470s are doing 28TH and 300 sia dual mining. About 27+ if Eth only. They are unstable in both configurations for more than 1 day. Failures are very random. It could be in 2 mins or 24 hrs. All 8 of my RX470 rigs are like this and I am predominantly MSI 470 with some Sapphire Nitrox and Sapphire reference.

edited September 2016
    @Zorg33

Thank you that did the trick! Dropped the highest memory rate further to 2150 from 2235 in urays rom and reflashed, now getting 28.5 stable on card that was previously dropping hash rate; which im happy enough with
  • s3000ss3000s Member Posts: 14
    hello..what gpu clock and mv

memery clock and mv

in best ?

best gpu clock memery clock and mv on 470 4g ??

please telle .thankyou