• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I get 28.5 +335 sia at 170W per card.
  • osnwtosnwt Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2016
    adaseb, same card (470 Nitro+ 4GB)?

In that case you have worse power efficiency:
    - v3t3r: 4.68 W/Mh
    - adaseb: 5.96 W/Mh

Maybe those 3.5Mh/s worth extra power for you, though.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    msi 4gb 470, the efficiency is worse because its faster. I can get probably 4W/MHs but it would run crazy slow and won't be worth the power savings.

• masaki1988masaki1988 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2016
    zono said:

m2itz said:

What do you mean copy/paste timings?
    I copy 1500 timing to all other states ?

For RX 470 GAMING X 4G same? or need different numbers copy/paste?.

Update

oh i see you write the guide. sorry to bother.
  • TimboSliceTimboSlice Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Modded the bios on my XFX 470 4GB with the usual copy/paste to higher timings. Got an extra 3 MH/s up to 25(ish) with -dcri at 30. The weird thing is that overclocking the mem to 2000 still does nothing and actually drops the hashrate, so I'm still at Boysie's magic -20%/800 1750/800. No extra power usage for +3 MH/s and a few minutes of work so it was worth it. Currently running -dcri 40 and getting 24.3 MH/s ETH.
    adaseb said:

msi 4gb 470, the efficiency is worse because its faster. I can get probably 4W/MHs but it would run crazy slow and won't be worth the power savings.

Sure it depends on particular power cost.

Still, I wonder how MMK got his results with Nitro+ 8GB: 29.9+300 @ 88.1W (GPU-Z, core only):

Wonder if it is possible to get at least 27+ with the same power consumption on 4GB cards dual mining...
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Modded the bios on my XFX 470 4GB with the usual copy/paste to higher timings. Got an extra 3 MH/s up to 25(ish) with -dcri at 30. The weird thing is that overclocking the mem to 2000 still does nothing and actually drops the hashrate, so I'm still at Boysie's magic -20%/800 1750/800. No extra power usage for +3 MH/s and a few minutes of work so it was worth it. Currently running -dcri 40 and getting 24.3 MH/s ETH.

what type of memory does that xfx card have? maybe it isn't hynix?
  • OrangeBubblegumOrangeBubblegum Member Posts: 52

XFX 470 here, same deal. Increasing memory clock yields hardly anything

The XFX 470 use hynix
  • MMKMMK Member Posts: 20
    Still, I wonder how MMK got his

Wonder if it is possible to get at least 27+ with the same power consumption on 4GB cards dual mining...

I tell you secret, it was not stable
    osnwt said:

adaseb said:

Still, I wonder how MMK got his results with Nitro+ 8GB: 29.9+300 @ 88.1W (GPU-Z, core only):

It wasn't stable settings, I post new ones next week after I add third card and have free time to test.

Stable settings photo, I have watt meter now. 370 watts whole system.
  • masaki1988masaki1988 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah i did it on msi 4g x gaming. Timings same as on 18 page. I get 25-27 mhs with ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre and use afterburner for overclock.
  • kemo6600kemo6600 Member Posts: 62

The XFX 470 use hynix
    Are you using modified Bios.
    Just coping the timings from the 1500 strap all the way up and setting the memory to 2000 instead of the default (1750) yielded extra 3-4 MH/s.
    with Stock bios any change to memory speed resulted in performance loss
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    MMK said:

Wow I haven't had success clocking my memory over 2000, 2075 is impressive, which model 470 are you using? i'm using Sapphire ref 470 4gb OC
  • MarlynNevesMarlynNeves Member Posts: 55

@kemo6600 What BIOS are you using?
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    Heliox said:

Go for the Nitro 8G, does over 30Mh..

Looking into unlocking CU's as we speak :) (480 Power :p)

Oh do tell if/when you get this sorted brother. Would be game changer lol.

Update:

Turns out Microcenter had listed the 3 PowerColor Red Dragon RX 470's incorrectly. When I went to the store to pick them up, they were Red Devils! So I got 3 Red Devil RX 470's for $189.99 each!!! What a deal (with current availability).

Here's a Screenshot of what my current rig is doing:

That's two MSI Gaming X 470's and three Red Devils. All Mem clocks 1500 and up set to 1500 Strap.

One thing that I have noticed that will effect EVERYONE who is bios modding: ASIC Quality is important - When modding a bios in PolarisBiosEditor, if in the GPU Section you leave voltage (mV) at stock values ie. 65288, volts will scale dynamically based on your asic. If you actually set them with an mV value: ie. 950, it will remain static at that voltage when in the corresponding power state / clock.

Why is this important? If you flash a bunch of cards with a bios that has 950mV set for the max clock, you may get some nasty instability/crashes if some of your cards have low asics.

You should dial in your cards by setting the strap in the edited bios, but leave mV values in the GPU section stock for testing. Take note of where each cards voltages are under load, then hard code/tune as necessary.

One of my cards has an asic of 68.... pretty bad. It needs a boost to keep up with the others.

You are running your GPU core @2500? And your memory @1750?
    MMK said:

Last question: your ASIC quality for both cards?
    osnwt said:

adaseb said:

It absolutely is. You just need to get your GPU and MEM voltages pegged out below 900mV. I'm getting a few of my 4GB cards at 27mh/s with the GPU power ~81.5W per GPU-Z.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Gigabyte 470 4GB anyone?
    I tried them yesterday and they seem somewhat different, above 1850mhz mem I got grey screen freeze. So only about 26mh so far.
    And the other thing is that the wattage is calculated differently because gpuz shows less watts at the same clocks and voltages than the sapphire reference.

Anyone made better progress with gigabyte?
  • OrangeBubblegumOrangeBubblegum Member Posts: 52
    kemo6600 said:

The XFX 470 use hynix
    Are you using modified Bios.
    Just coping the timings from the 1500 strap all the way up and setting the memory to 2000 instead of the default (1750) yielded extra 3-4 MH/s.
    with Stock bios any change to memory speed resulted in performance loss
    Yes, Im using a modded bios with 1500 straps. Increasing the memory clock doesnt yield a huge increase in performance. Ive got about ~24mhs on a 1800mhz clock.
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    This is how I run it:

@kemo6600 What BIOS are you using?

I made my own Bios.
    Just copied timings from the 1500 strap all the way up.
    Core , core voltage, fan speed, power target and memory clock, all modified from afterburner as per screen shot.
  • duoleduole Member Posts: 9
    Anyone please give me a Asus Strix RX470's bios ..

thanks!
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    MMK said:

which card is that MKK can you post GPU-z screenshot of it?
  • TinuTinu Member Posts: 8
    So I tried to flash my bios using the "simple" method, but I can't make any other Bios than the original work :/

I upgraded to 16.9.1 drivers, then made a simple mod on the bios by strapping 1500mhz timings, saved the bios, flashed with atiwinflash, and when I reboot the card is not recognized anymore. It's not bricked though, as flashing back to original bios is working perfectly (it's what I did btw). I'm clueless about what can I do here, it should be working according to what I read here. If someone as any idea. Thank you for your time :)
    edited September 2016
    Tinu said:

So I tried to flash my bios using the "simple" method, but I can't make any other Bios than the original work :/

I upgraded to 16.9.1 drivers, then made a simple mod on the bios by strapping 1500mhz timings, saved the bios, flashed with atiwinflash, and when I reboot the card is not recognized anymore. It's not bricked though, as flashing back to original bios is working perfectly (it's what I did btw). I'm clueless about what can I do here, it should be working according to what I read here. If someone as any idea. Thank you for your time :)

I had the same problem.
    Removed the drivers, then installed again , it failed, checked the log ana found error in HDMI drivers, re installed again but removed the check mark in front of the HDMI driver's.

Now every thing is working for me.
  • mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97

Update:

Turns out Microcenter had listed the 3 PowerColor Red Dragon RX 470's incorrectly. When I went to the store to pick them up, they were Red Devils! So I got 3 Red Devil RX 470's for $189.99 each!!! What a deal (with current availability).

Here's a Screenshot of what my current rig is doing:

That's two MSI Gaming X 470's and three Red Devils. All Mem clocks 1500 and up set to 1500 Strap.

One thing that I have noticed that will effect EVERYONE who is bios modding: ASIC Quality is important - When modding a bios in PolarisBiosEditor, if in the GPU Section you leave voltage (mV) at stock values ie. 65288, volts will scale dynamically based on your asic. If you actually set them with an mV value: ie. 950, it will remain static at that voltage when in the corresponding power state / clock.

Why is this important? If you flash a bunch of cards with a bios that has 950mV set for the max clock, you may get some nasty instability/crashes if some of your cards have low asics.

You should dial in your cards by setting the strap in the edited bios, but leave mV values in the GPU section stock for testing. Take note of where each cards voltages are under load, then hard code/tune as necessary.

One of my cards has an asic of 68.... pretty bad. It needs a boost to keep up with the others.

Thanks for the ASIC Quality tutorial. I was trying to OC and Flash my XFX 470 4GB card today but it couldn't go anywhere past 26MH, then I saw the ASIC... it was 61%. I'll try a different card tomorrow and see if I can hit 29 and give up on the 61% card.
  • TinuTinu Member Posts: 8
    kemo6600 said:

Tinu said:

I had the same problem.
    Removed the drivers, then installed again , it failed, checked the log ana found error in HDMI drivers, re installed again but removed the check mark in front of the HDMI driver's.

Now every thing is working for me.
    I'm trying that tomorrow, thank you !