RX 470 mining

Comments

• woodaxewoodaxe Member Posts: 6
    woodaxe said:

Rider said:

woodaxe said:

rx 470 nitro +oc 8 gig
    running stock atm 25.9 m/hs eth 350 m/hs sia not sure of the wattage atm.

@woodaxe what driver version and OS?
    windows 7 driver 16.8.3
    perhaps i should correct that ive got the cards switched to silent mode on the bois switch and ive got the mem at 2100 on wattman
    i did try the new ab beta but it clashes with wattman and i had alll sorts of problems i did manage 27.3m/hs on one card but the others stuck at 25.9m/hs before crashing.
    was hoping the ab would work ok till i learn to flash my bios
  • io8126io8126 Member Posts: 13
    Before to make a disaster ask some advice.
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Sapphire RX470 4 gb ddr5 reference design
    • gpu clock 1216
    • mem clock 1750 (7000)
    • original bios backup with atiflash
    • open bios with polaris editor
    • changed parameter like in image

save as new bios and ready to flash.

Question: I properly set the parameters or not?

Thanks.
  • RiderRider JapanMember Posts: 81
    woodaxe said:

woodaxe said:

Rider said:

woodaxe said:

rx 470 nitro +oc 8 gig
    running stock atm 25.9 m/hs eth 350 m/hs sia not sure of the wattage atm.

@woodaxe what driver version and OS?
    windows 7 driver 16.8.3
    perhaps i should correct that ive got the cards switched to silent mode on the bois switch and ive got the mem at 2100 on wattman
    i did try the new ab beta but it clashes with wattman and i had alll sorts of problems i did manage 27.3m/hs on one card but the others stuck at 25.9m/hs before crashing.
    was hoping the ab would work ok till i learn to flash my bios
    Good info thx. Running the same card in stock settings on same OS and driver in ETH only mode gives 24.5~25MH. I'm gonna try overclocking and dual mining next.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    woodaxe said:

SATA power connectors has a total of 15 pins of which 9 are power pins (3 x 3.3V, 3 x 5V, 3 x 12V). Each pin can carry 1.5Amps for a total of 13.5Amps. BUT as there is as yet no use for the 3.3V pins the effective power available to drives is only 9Amps.

9 amps is 108watts
    im running 2 x 290 gpus from one sata atm with no problems

@woodaxe,
    You are wrong. Examine your own figures...
    Of the 9 Amperes, half is at 5V and half at 12V.
    4.5*5 + 4.5*12 = 76.5W which is NOT 108W.
  • woodaxewoodaxe Member Posts: 6
    ethfan said:

woodaxe said:

SATA power connectors has a total of 15 pins of which 9 are power pins (3 x 3.3V, 3 x 5V, 3 x 12V). Each pin can carry 1.5Amps for a total of 13.5Amps. BUT as there is as yet no use for the 3.3V pins the effective power available to drives is only 9Amps.

9 amps is 108watts
    im running 2 x 290 gpus from one sata atm with no problems

@woodaxe,
    You are wrong. Examine your own figures...
    Of the 9 Amperes, half is at 5V and half at 12V.
    4.5*5 + 4.5*12 = 76.5W which is NOT 108W.
    yes you are right for some reason my brain got stuck on the 9amp and 12v thanks for the correction
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    I was thinking of adding two more 480s to my setup but they are totally sold out.
    So now i am thinking about caving in and buy 3x 470s instead.

Right now i am looking at two different cards that are in stock here:
    Sapphire Radeon RX 470 OC HDMI 3xDP 4GB (~247USD)
    ASUS STRIX RX470 4GB GAMING (~270USD)

Any reason to go with the strix model for mining ?
    I will go custom roms on these and is aimong for 28Mhs, is the reference model a better way to go ?
    EfterlysT said:

I was thinking of adding two more 480s to my setup but they are totally sold out.

I will go custom roms on these and is aimong for 28Mhs, is the reference model a better way to go ?

I have not used the Asus but yesterday I have setup a rig with 6 Sapphire Radeon RX 470 OC HDMI 3xDP 4GB and custom bios, run stable at ~27.7 eth ~300 sia with claymore.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    @io8126 --stock or custom bios?
  • IiaoIiao Member Posts: 33
    Got my new Sapphire RZ 470 8gb WooHoo... or so I thought.

Out of the box it gets 22Mhs, I can see the sent rate hash rate on Dwarfpool showing the same, but the Calc rate isn't showing, so zero shares coming through.

The problem seems to be it doesn't "eth_submitWork"

I have deleted the dag file a few times, but this hasn't fix, if i switch back to an R7 370 it works fine.

Am I missing something very obvious?

Thanks

• AhmedAhmed Member Posts: 9
    io8126 said:

EfterlysT said:

I have not used the Asus but yesterday I have setup a rig with 6 Sapphire Radeon RX 470 OC HDMI 3xDP 4GB and custom bios, run stable at ~27.7 eth ~300 sia with claymore.
    can share your custom bios Sapphire Radeon RX 470 OC 4GB
    you can download here at 28MH-470OC.Nitro-4GB Boysie ROM - DUAL Mining thread
    Is there any public custom roms around for RX 470 Reference 4Gb ?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    EfterlysT said:

i shared my 470 4gb sapphire reference custom rom, you can look back a 1-2weeks in my comments to find it
  • rawbertrawbert Member Posts: 9
    EfterlysT said:

I got a 470 strix.. I wouldn't buy another one..

EfterlysT said:

i shared my 470 4gb sapphire reference custom rom, you can look back a 1-2weeks in my comments to find it
    Thanks !
  • kpskps Member Posts: 23
    So i've been pushing my asus 470 to see how far can it go, and this is my best result, 27.5 mh/s eth + 300mh sia(dcri 22). entire system draws 160w from wall with a single card, i use 1425 strap bios here and it's been stable for almost 2 days now, the card is VERY quiet while mining :

https://i.imgur.com/gb9yi6U.png

I ordered 6 more cards and i'm waiting for the order, so i'll see if the result are repeatable or was i just exceptionally lucky with this one.

• Lokken86Lokken86 Member Posts: 28
    EfterlysT said:

I have the sapphire reference 4gb 470 (the cheapest one you can get), put the 1500mhz timings into the 2000mhz strap and made 2000 the default speed. Getting 28.5mh with it.
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26

lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

I stuck on point with loading drivers in device manager on win 7 64. I always get ! with code 43 error, seem unbraekable, to get properly working driver with mod bios :{

This is because of driver signing. If you change your BIOS, you card will show this error code. You will have a display, but you won't be able to test mining and such. There's a fix for that though, someone else should be able to point your to it. I haven't applied it myself yet.
    Can anyone write what steps do after flashing bios and rebooting? How to override driver properly in win7, win8.1, win10?
    @RavinderDhillon, @dephcon, @Marvell9, @zorg33?

Step 1 : Download the modded AMD Driver file here
    Step 2 : Download the NGOHQ driver signing tool here
    Step 3 : Do the following to enable Windows Test Mode-
    WindowsKey + X -> Command prompt (Admin mode)
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    Step 4 : Use the NGOHQ tool and select test mode, then restart pc. Now run the tool again and sign the modded driver file that you downloaded above (this has to be done on the pc that you will be using it on).
    Step 5 : Hold Shift and click on power to restart in safe mode (look it up). In safe mode, replace the original in system32/drivers with the modded file
    Step 6 : Reboot into windows normally and now drivers will recognize any modded bios
    This is $$$$ thanks brother.
  • hoseajsaphoseajsap Member Posts: 1
    d3strange said:

lukeon said:

h311m4n said:

ftoz said:

I stuck on point with loading drivers in device manager on win 7 64. I always get ! with code 43 error, seem unbraekable, to get properly working driver with mod bios :{

This is because of driver signing. If you change your BIOS, you card will show this error code. You will have a display, but you won't be able to test mining and such. There's a fix for that though, someone else should be able to point your to it. I haven't applied it myself yet.
    Can anyone write what steps do after flashing bios and rebooting? How to override driver properly in win7, win8.1, win10?
    @RavinderDhillon, @dephcon, @Marvell9, @zorg33?

Step 1 : Download the modded AMD Driver file here
    Step 2 : Download the NGOHQ driver signing tool here
    Step 3 : Do the following to enable Windows Test Mode-
    WindowsKey + X -> Command prompt (Admin mode)
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    Step 4 : Use the NGOHQ tool and select test mode, then restart pc. Now run the tool again and sign the modded driver file that you downloaded above (this has to be done on the pc that you will be using it on).
    Step 5 : Hold Shift and click on power to restart in safe mode (look it up). In safe mode, replace the original in system32/drivers with the modded file
    Step 6 : Reboot into windows normally and now drivers will recognize any modded bios
    This is $$$$ thanks brother.
    i need help. i already follow those step but when i starting my windows, it always blank blue screen (not BSOD) please help me. im using sapphire nitro rx 470 8GB
  • picassopicasso Member Posts: 5
    kps said:

So i've been pushing my asus 470 to see how far can it go, and this is my best result, 27.5 mh/s eth + 300mh sia(dcri 22). entire system draws 160w from wall with a single card, i use 1425 strap bios here and it's been stable for almost 2 days now, the card is VERY quiet while mining :

https://i.imgur.com/gb9yi6U.png

I ordered 6 more cards and i'm waiting for the order, so i'll see if the result are repeatable or was i just exceptionally lucky with this one.

Nice setup. I also making setup with 6 Asus Strix 470 gpus, so I need a help. Did u made custom bios, or using factory bios? If u have custom bios please attach bios in thread. I planing to put 6 cards on Asrock H81 BTC Pro motherboard with LC1200 V2.4 power supply. Can this board provide enough power through PCI slots, I heard that every RX470 can pull 50-60w through extenders (because card have 1 6 pin conector). I planing to use regular 30cm extenders with molex (not usb extenders).
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @picasso
    Nitro+, both 4gb and 8gb have 8-pin connectors.
    MSI 470 4gb also have 8 pin connectors.
  • guntisvitolinsguntisvitolins Member Posts: 24
    Mining rig tutorial with 6x RX470 on default settings run on 750w of power , thats crazy
  • OtherBarry1992OtherBarry1992 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, first post here. Right now I have two MSI RX 470 4GB Cards with modded bioses, both getting 27.5 mh/s (1950 mem @ 1500 Strap). On my way to Microcenter right now to pick up 3 Powercolor Red Dragon 470's, not the red devils. I haven't seen much, or anything really about these cards online. I know that the Red Devils have Dual Bios and 8 Pin power, whereas the Red Dragon has 6 Pin Power and not sure about the bios switch.

All that matters to me is that the ram is Hynix, and that the cooler doesn't completely suck. $189.99 is a pretty good price! All dual bios models of this card that I've seen have been in the $210-$220 range.

Will report back soon!
  • d3stranged3strange Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2016

Hey everyone, first post here. Right now I have two MSI RX 470 4GB Cards with modded bioses, both getting 27.5 mh/s (1950 mem @ 1500 Strap). On my way to Microcenter right now to pick up 3 Powercolor Red Dragon 470's, not the red devils. I haven't seen much, or anything really about these cards online. I know that the Red Devils have Dual Bios and 8 Pin power, whereas the Red Dragon has 6 Pin Power and not sure about the bios switch.

All that matters to me is that the ram is Hynix, and that the cooler doesn't completely suck. $189.99 is a pretty good price! All dual bios models of this card that I've seen have been in the $210-$220 range.

Will report back soon!

I have three Red Dragons running, one of them gets up to ~26.5 mh/s (1900 memory), the other two I can't get past ~23 mh/s (1800 memory). Don't know if its the cards or me. Used 1500 straps on all memory timings above, that's the only BIOS changes I've made thus far. Definitely Hynix ram and there is no contact from heatsink with ram chips.

There appears to be an updated version of the Red Dragon with a BIOS switch and 8-pin connector - I have the one with 6 pins.

Anybody has better results with these cards - let me know! Thanks!
  • anamichiianamichii Member Posts: 7

the power draw in this card are really devil enough :p
    Powercolor Red Devil RX 470, 29MH + 320MH dual..
  • OtherBarry1992OtherBarry1992 Member Posts: 3
    Settings?
    anamichii said:

the power draw in this card are really devil enough :p
    Powercolor Red Devil RX 470, 29MH + 320MH dual..

• un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    anamichii said:
    wonder if it is safe to flash this ROM to Reference RX 470 Sapphire 4GB....could burn :D how much Watt from the WALL in Dual mode?
  • hankzetankhankzetank Sweden Member Posts: 53
    Could someone share sapphire rx470 4GB OC reference none modded bios?
    Unsure if I have saved my bios when I had changed parameters in wattman.
  • brizio71brizio71 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone have modded the bios of XFX RX470 4GB Black ?