RX 470 mining

Comments

• h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    Calivet said:

@Zorg33 @h311m4n Hit it on the head precisely. I have tried to do this on my 390's but if you have tried like me, you would know that Most of the 390's don't have values for the offset when you look for them in hex editor. (once you get the objectvoltage...from atomicbios, under data tables it should give you a combination of letters and numbers. Open Hex editor, under search tab, goto, and type those values there. It will take you to to where the values are if they exist. They don't exist in the 390. You can add them in but you will need to know what you are doing. Something about adding it all up and having the correct check sum. I have heard that the 470 and 480 are very similar to the Nanos which the values can easily be found and modded. I can't confirm nor deny it since I don't own any 470, I own a few 480's and I am content with their current settings, no need to hard mod. Great work everyone!

Yes this is pretty much how it works, but not something you can learn in a simple day!

My Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8G don't have any of those values, they need to be added.
  • OakheartOakheart Member Posts: 10
    I have four of the Sapphire RX470 reference models. The bios was modified using what @dephcon stated (at the top of page 10) as a guide.

Here is a copy of the rom - Sapphire RX470 Reference Mod. Use at your own risk. I have only been running it for a bit over an hour. Stable so far.
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @windowz1 looks great!! :) but why 2 psu ? am i missing something here?
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    h311m4n said:

Calivet said:

@Zorg33 @h311m4n Hit it on the head precisely. I have tried to do this on my 390's but if you have tried like me, you would know that Most of the 390's don't have values for the offset when you look for them in hex editor. (once you get the objectvoltage...from atomicbios, under data tables it should give you a combination of letters and numbers. Open Hex editor, under search tab, goto, and type those values there. It will take you to to where the values are if they exist. They don't exist in the 390. You can add them in but you will need to know what you are doing. Something about adding it all up and having the correct check sum. I have heard that the 470 and 480 are very similar to the Nanos which the values can easily be found and modded. I can't confirm nor deny it since I don't own any 470, I own a few 480's and I am content with their current settings, no need to hard mod. Great work everyone!

Yes this is pretty much how it works, but not something you can learn in a simple day!

My Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8G don't have any of those values, they need to be added.
    Asus ROG 480 strix has them i believe.

I do know for a fact that it has MVDDC <-- So Memory Voltage, NOT VDDCI as in Memory controller voltage.
    Which is basically awesome!

Now to get my hands on one of those cards (or the rom would be fine as well :tongue: )
  • windowz1windowz1 Member Posts: 8
    I order 2set at china and i'm planning to setup miner program on it.
    It details:
    ubuntu 14.04, RX470*6*2 1.23KW PSU*2 Pentium G3260*2
    I expect ubuntu 14.04 64bit but there is 32bit.
    It's ok both 64bit and 32bit for miner program?
  • MakefinityMakefinity Makefinity.comMember Posts: 11
    >= 4GB ram - use 64 bit version
  • dephcondephcon Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2016
    @Oakheart nice job! I'll have to compare yours to mine once i get my power meter, your clock voltages are really aggressive. what were you able to achieve with -drci 20+?
  • EpicNodEpicNod Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2016
    I edited my RX 470s' BIOS
    the results are impressive!
    ~28Mh/s @ 134W per card
    started my test 1hr ago so far stable... I'll update after 12hr test
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    its save to flash mod bios on atiwinflash with mod driver?
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I ordered gigabyte 470 4gb cards, because they also have the cooler touching the rams, i wonder if they have also mvddc in the bios...:)

BTW I measured exact power consumption today and it is [email protected] on the wall with 925mV.
    Tonight gonna try lower.
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Zorg33 said:

I ordered gigabyte 470 4gb cards, because they also have the cooler touching the rams, i wonder if they have also mvddc in the bios...:)

BTW I measured exact power consumption today and it is [email protected] on the wall with 925mV.
    Tonight gonna try lower.

120W for 28.3 MH is not that bad. can you check how much it is in DUAL Mode? thx
    my RX 470 will come tomorrow or on Friday and ill start testing too. Wanna play with 470 first before i touch my RX 480
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭

Just got these 2.
    btw - on XFX card it's a switch, does it have dual BIOS? on official site cant find anything about it ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-470-rs-4gb-dd-triplex-rx-470p4lfb6 ) ?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    nhando said:

So far who have the best setting for the following while still being stable. We should compare settings and results from different people n card brands

1) Highest Hash for Eth only
    2) Highest Hash for Dual mining
    3) Most efficient setting for 26+ Eth only settings.

I haven't read everything in this thread but with reference 470 4gb with self-modded bios (memory straps from 1500 put into 1625, 1750, and 2000) and putting mem clock at 2000, I went from 21.5mhs to 28mhs dual mining, and i think about 90-95w in gpuz (eth only saved 7.5w in gpuz). I use about 19 dcri

if i recall correctly my wattman settings are stock core clock/950mv 2000mem/850mv I'll update this post if its different
    Post edited by Truthchanter on
    Oakheart said:

@dephcon Thanks for the 470 settings! My rig of 4 Reference Sapphire 470s is now dual mining Eth at 29MH/s and Sia at 219 MH/s with -dcri 15. The rig is pulling 840 watts at the wall using a Bronze PSU.

Now it is time to find something more power efficient.

I couldn't get my ref 470 4gb to work well with mem above 2000, I get 28mhs with 2000 but at 2025 i get 25mhs, any idea what you did differently, do you have 8gb model?
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    zono said:

Just got these 2.
    btw - on XFX card it's a switch, does it have dual BIOS? on official site cant find anything about it ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-470-rs-4gb-dd-triplex-rx-470p4lfb6 ) ?

!!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

AMD drivers doesnt load - any1 know whats wrong? How to fix this?
    I'm running them both on mobo (no PCI risers).

zono said:

zono said:

Just got these 2.

!!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

AMD drivers doesnt load - any1 know whats wrong? How to fix this?
    I'm running them both on mobo (no PCI risers).

Hey @zono Im having that same error screen with my 480 rig all of a sudden (tried messing around with the atikmpdag.sys file to get it ready to flash and then had problems). I haven't solved it yet but I'm planning to try unistalling all the drivers in safe mode and then reinstalling. Let me know if you find a solution
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @zono @Truthchanter The "solution" for error 43 often seems to be to use DDU to uninstall drivers in safe mode and to start again with the driver install, and then replacement with signed atikmdag file

Seems to happen when moving cards, thus far I've only had success when installing all cards at once... trying to add or swap cards leaves at least one error'd

DDU is here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/
    signing app for modded atikmdag here: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo
    edited August 2016

@zono @Truthchanter The "solution" for error 43 often seems to be to use DDU to uninstall drivers in safe mode and to start again with the driver install, and then replacement with signed atikmdag file

Seems to happen when moving cards, thus far I've only had success when installing all cards at once... trying to add or swap cards leaves at least one error'd

DDU is here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/
    signing app for modded atikmdag here: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Thanks, the error 43 isn't a problem for me but that radeonsettings splash screen error and then radeon settings program crashes, I'll report back after i reinstall the drivers though
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    Zorg33 said:

Tonight gonna try lower.

the 480 using my low power rom will do 29MH @ 115w @ the wall using a gold 230v psu. 103w @ card

although your roi will be quicker if that's stable.

Boysie
    edited August 2016
    boysie said:

Zorg33 said:

Tonight gonna try lower.

the 480 using my low power rom will do 29MH @ 115w @ the wall using a gold 230v psu. 103w @ card

Boysie
    @boysie is that slightly better hash per power consumption with the 480s than the modded 470s? my 470 does 28mh @ 90-95w in gpuz but i haven't completely finished undervolting and optimizing

Also in your rom is it just memory timing adjustments + everything that can be done in wattman? or is there something extra to lower watt usage
  • ZanderMZanderM Member Posts: 86
    @zono I just had the same prob, just do what @RavinderDhillon said, but just this part:

Step 4 : Use the NGOHQ tool and select test mode, then restart pc. Now run the tool again and sign the modded driver file that you downloaded above (this has to be done on the pc that you will be using it on).

Step 5 : Hold Shift and click on power to restart in safe mode (look it up). In safe mode, replace the original in system32/drivers with the modded file

boysie said:

Zorg33 said:

Tonight gonna try lower.

Boysie
    @boysie is that slightly better hash per power consumption with the 480s than the modded 470s? my 470 does 28mh @ 90-95w in gpuz but i haven't completely finished undervolting and optimizing

Also in your rom is it just memory timing adjustments + everything that can be done in wattman? or is there something extra to lower watt usage
    timings are using the lower straps.

then you have to find what's possible with that strap increase the ram speed until it stops really effecting it, assuming core at this point is default and tune the core to its lowest with out effecting hash to much and then power down to the min that's stable....takes a while to get right, some cards work better than others.

I think gpuz shows 60-70w on the 480 at these numbers. eth only. dual its shows 89w I think.

Boysie
  • ftozftoz Member Posts: 13
    gpu-z numbers are probably only for gpu unit, not for hole graphic board
    ftoz said:

gpu-z numbers are probably only for gpu unit, not for hole graphic board

indeed they are, I'm not using them saying this is what its pulling at the wall I was just using them to compare to what gpuz numbers @Truthchanter was seeing for comparison. I'm expecting the 470 to be better on power but necessarily at the same MH.
  • Blue1984Blue1984 Member Posts: 45
    hyyy someone tested this rom? i think there is an offset inside

http://overclocking.guide/download/amd-rx-480-mining-bios/

lg blue

• Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭

I couldn't get my ref 470 4gb to work well with mem above 2000, I get 28mhs with 2000 but at 2025 i get 25mhs, any idea what you did differently, do you have 8gb model?

You are near memory crash limit imho, within 3%.
    If you raise memclock a little more BSOD bamm. Try it:)
    I also experienced this on my 480 with tight timings above 2175.

• dat_boidat_boi Member Posts: 4
    Can you actually game with these tight timings?
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Oakheart said:

I have four of the Sapphire RX470 reference models. The bios was modified using what @dephcon stated (at the top of page 10) as a guide.

Here is a copy of the rom - Sapphire RX470 Reference Mod. Use at your own risk. I have only been running it for a bit over an hour. Stable so far.

Good modded rom, thank you!
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    People here are constantly reporting settings with mem voltage higher then core voltage, am I worng or its impossible?