Forum Censorship?

workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Mining
I've heard from at least one user that their posting privledges have been removed without reason.

I also just tried to create a new thread and was told it would be "reviewed." And the thread was not posted.

What's going on here... moderating like this without giving clear reason why is not okay...

Edit: well, this thread went straight thru. Is it because there was a URL in the other thread or something?

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know the answer to this, as well. If the forum is going in introduce a change in policy, then that policy should be published, in advance, and not leave it up to forum members to try to guess what's going on.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Me too. I encountered this SO many times.
    WTF is 'reviewed'? Seems arbitrary, at least sometimes.
    Reviewed means shoved into nowhere to be seen place.
  • BillsonBillson USAMember Posts: 13
    work said:

I've heard from at least one user that their posting privledges have been removed without reason.

I also just tried to create a new thread and was told it would be "reviewed." And the thread was not posted.

What's going on here... moderating like this without giving clear reason why is not okay...

Edit: well, this thread went straight thru. Is it because there was a URL in the other thread or something?

I don't think it's has anything to do with a URL (at least for me) as i posted a thread with a URL and it got posted. It might be something else. What was the subject matter of your post?
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @Billison

let me check...there was one man from Scunthorpe...
    @Biodom I don't know the limerick, but I laughed nonetheless. Thanks!
  • fuchs_itfuchs_it Member Posts: 36
    hmmm yes, this happened to myself as well.

just buggy forum code possibly?
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    If true, this is really shitty. If y'all end up moving on elsewhere for ethereum chat, please keep me in the loop! As long as it isn't bitcointalk :shudder:
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    edited July 2016
    @work We are not censoring the forum, there is a spam bot, when it detects what it think is spam, it puts the post on hold until a mod reviews it. Usually when there is a link attached to a post the bot thinks it's spam. We try to keep an eye on our spam queue as frequently as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    @agent412 Well, at least that's an explanation. Still though, that should be announced to the forum, so we know there's a bot running in the background and snatching posts based on some criteria. If that had been done, this thread would never have been started.
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    dlehenky said:

@agent412 Well, at least that's an explanation. Still though, that should be announced to the forum, so we know there's a bot running in the background and snatching posts based on some criteria. If that had been done, this thread would never have been started.

I get what you're saying, but that's the way it has been since i became a Mod.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... it has only happened to me recently, and it's been happening a lot.

I suspect someone might be messing with the spam bot and targeting things? Am I just getting paranoid? (Maybe, lol)
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I've seen that was overt spam was when sometimes people post links to sites they recommend and they put their referrer code in the URL. Like cloud-mining sites where they pay you a cut for new subscribers. I could do that because early on in this before I started mining myself I bought a few cloud mining contracts. Unfortunately one of them was hashocean. I actually made money on them because I got in early... it was so obviously a ponzi but ponzis are great if you get in early ;) Anyway, I'm glad I didn't recommend them anywhere.
    @G416G sad to see discourse deleted like that...
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    I keep getting flags (top right globe icon) that say i was mentioned in a thread but when i navigate to the thread, no mention of me :D
    Usually most my posts get put on hold until a mod reviews it. However, today it's been fine. :/
    edited July 2016
    How come we got 51pool on the Mining thread? Anyone else would be told to post on the Pool Thread. These people have only had a few posts between them and seem to be offering all types of dodgy pool mining opperations. Yet they get a prime slot over people like nanopool?
    @greenuser because there is a lack of active moderation to move the thread to the right section. Can you please avoid posting nonsense... in the history of this forum nobody that I am aware of has been told to post a thread in the right section. Many posts have been moved, but nobody asked, probably mostly because a user can't move a thread once created!
    So i can post all my threads in the first section on the board regardless of subject matter or is that just reserved for our (your?) new friends?
    yer.... must be a mod bot because they held back my post about the attack hitting the news but then they let you post it @work before i was cleared .

My post was released some time after you had posted the link.... but when you look back you will see i posted the link first, then i PMed you that it had been withheld. Look

they let you post it but not me :o

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/51375/#Comment_51375
    @greenuser look again... they approved both our posts with that URL, and yours is first. I specificially realized what was being filtered, and added spaces to bypass the filter - only reason I got the (partial) link thru in the post above yours.

But seriously, check yourself... everyone posts random stuff in the mining section. This forum had been quite free and open until moderation got ramped up recently.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    bitcanuck said:

I've seen posts edited for violation of the rules (i.e. no adhominem). There's also a rule about no commercial links, but that doesn't seem to be enforced since Alex/GPUshill seems to be able to post commercial links.

Please visit http://shop.bitcanuck.ca/ for all your ASIC needs. Features both new and refurbished hardware, and even includes a 2.6% discount if paid with Bitcoin.

Disclosure: I have not been paid for this endorsement.
    Post edited by kotarius on
  • HashingTurtleHashingTurtle Member Posts: 107
    there once was a soul called @dlensky
    willing to help a soul called newbie (including me)
    the censor came
    took away the game
    and the question was never seen by dlensky