51% attack pool against ETC

seanz123seanz123 Member Posts: 36
Has anyone put together a pool like this yet? we wouldn't have to run it for long. Once we did it, it would ruin the credibility of their coin.

Thoughts?

Comments

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect ETC will die all on it's own
  • seanz123seanz123 Member Posts: 36
    Me too but it would be nice to be sooner than later.
    Problem is, why would miners devote hashing power for something they won't directly get paid for?
    I would devote mine for a day. A day of mining lost would be well worth it to me for this whole ETC vs ETH to end.
    There is probably enough ethash hashing power available to rent, that it wouldn't be hard to run a 51% attack soon, presuming the chain diff drops a bit more.
  • AbcedarianAbcedarian Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    someone smart should write a smart contract to rent hashing power to do it. I would make a donation.
    @Abcedarian interesting idea. Hard to trust an oracle service for something like that tho, unless you got nicehash or MRR onboard.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Didn't some very big Chinese ETH mining person/company already threaten to do this? @MrYukonC mentioned it in one of his YouTube videos I think.
    There was a guy in china that threaten to do it with his hashing power but, he only has like 90 Gh/s. We would need a pool of over 400 Gh/s.
    We just need a pool created for it and if people wanna come then good if not oh well. I'm sure enough people would though.
    I suppose it could be done as an Eth pool which, once enough hashrate was active, switched to creating a private chain on ETC. Even with 70-120 ETC confirmations required on existing exchanges, a double spend wouldn't be too difficult.
    That's actually pretty perfect.
  • blckeaglsblckeagls Member Posts: 5
    The 51% attack only needs to block transactions... If people cannot transact... the network is worthless..

Already eddited geth code. Just need to test and build a pool.....
    https://github.com/blckeagls/go-ethereum
    Just one day of 51% attack blocking their transactions and the coin would lose all credibility and people would sell as soon as they could. making the coin disappear for good.
    @blckeagls that's actually fairly smart. Just refuse to include any transactions in the chain, and only mine on your own blocks. Other miners should rapidly give up too, when they aren't making any money and all their blocks are getting orphaned (because, of course, you don't include uncles either).

Combine that with a pool that mines and pays Eth until it has enough hashrate to attack the ETC chain, and I think this might actually work.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    work said:

@blckeagls that's actually fairly smart. Just refuse to include any transactions in the chain, and only mine on your own blocks. Other miners should rapidly give up too, when they aren't making any money and all their blocks are getting orphaned (because, of course, you don't include uncles either).

Combine that with a pool that mines and pays Eth until it has enough hashrate to attack the ETC chain, and I think this might actually work.

Agreed^ this could definitely work with a decent amount of hashrate power going towards it.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Why is everybody against ETC all of a sudden?
    Personally I believe ETH will go back to gaining traction once ETC dies off. Killing off ETC would make ETH mining more profitable.

The way I see it, the die hard ETC supporters have a coin going simply because they lost the vote. A few hurting the majority simply because they didn't get their way.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @adaseb Because it's being taken over by BTC fanatics that are intent on using it to disrupt the entire Ethereum project.
    I'm honestly surprised a pool isn't already created for this.
    edited July 2016
    @adaseb @dlehenky hit the nail on the head. There has been a bunch of supposed ETC supporters popping up saying they'll dev for ETC, when it's pretty clear they are just trying to split the community and have no intention of contributing. Blockstream/Core team is playing at least a decent role in all this.

ETC is the losing chain... by a HUGE margin. Continuing to perpetuate the losing chain is just childish - clearly the majority were for the hardfork, and the minority are refusing to accept that by kicking and screaming. VB and Co are trying to be adult and supportive about the situation, but there's really nothing adult about it at this point.
    BTW, I'd be happy to mine on the ETH pool you are discussing above. What would be great is if we could get an establish pool to host it, like say MPH or similar, although I would guess that would be a long shot.
  • cepnicepni Member Posts: 27
    dude, i would support and we better start calculating how much hashpower do we have
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Do we as miners really care however ?

Ever since ETC was released, I made double-triple mining revenue everyday. If both chains stay alive, it will distribute the mining hashpower and keep the difficulties lower and better for miners.

edited July 2016
    Count my hashing power in.
    I'm trying to contact Chandler Guo to see if he could help in any way. Especially his hashing power. Plus he has already made the threat to do it so im sure he would get in on it.
  • lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
    I don't really care about any of this chains... Currently ETC is more profitable to mine and i mine it. If ETH becomes more profitable later i will mine that one and thats is the end of it....
  • ed1ed1 Member Posts: 46
    adaseb has a point... you guys should listen to him! just let things settle and coexist in peace lool :expressionless:
    @ed1 no... down with the losing chain. Must punish anyone contributing. Any miners mining ETC need to lose a bunch of their mining time so they learn a lesson about supporting losing forks.
    edited July 2016
    @work Not sure if you meant that with /sarcasm/ or not; I can see it both ways. :) It's as if we had an election, and now the winning candidate, by a wide margin no less, has to duke it out with the loser in order to take office (through no choice of their own).