Launching a 6000 mh/s ethereum farm. Q&A Thread!

Comments

• GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2016
    The plan is very ambitious. I suppose you will need really good air circulation to cool 200 r9 290s. Personally, I would not convert all eth to btc as eth actually has a higher chance of proportional roi and growth if it succeeds.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @GreaterNinja There's that pesky "if" word, again. :)
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Paying $0.20/kwh equivalent here so no big farm for me. If I had electroicery $0.09 I would buy all the graphics card in the world!! :smile:
  • kermitaskermitas Member Posts: 11
    Hi guys,
    form me it is also strange that creators of EthOS are creating a farm just to ... trade all mined ETH to BTC.

Why is it so? Does they are not believing in ETH?
    Do we have any explanation on that?

Thanks!
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    kermitas said:

Hi guys,
    form me it is also strange that creators of EthOS are creating a farm just to ... trade all mined ETH to BTC.

Why is it so? Does they are not believing in ETH?
    Do we have any explanation on that?

Thanks!

It's called reality and business. You can't make business on 'if', beliefs and prediction.
  • nasa_denasa_de Member Posts: 35
    Thanks to sharing your knowledge,
    1- Do you use USB 3.0 Riser or Ribbon? which one is better and why?
    2- witch power tune is safe on ethOS?
    3- Witch fan speed is safe on ethOS? (i want to use card for long time)
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    How's construction coming along? You hiring anyone to help you with thr build-out, or doing it yourself?
  • SmokyishSmokyish Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    @kotarius Will you be using Green/Renewable Energy?
  • sling00sling00 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016
    Answers below in bold
    nasa_de said:

Thanks to sharing your knowledge,
    1- Do you use USB 3.0 Riser or Ribbon? which one is better and why?
    Kotarius will have to answer this one, but for me personally I prefer USB risers because they dont require presence detection pin shorts on gimpy motherboards
    2- witch power tune is safe on ethOS?
    whichever powertune is the maximum for your card, 20 for everything but 290/390

3- Witch fan speed is safe on ethOS? (i want to use card for long time)
    100% for me, I believe kotarius uses the same.

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    bbcoin said:

You can't make business on 'if', beliefs and prediction.

Sure you can. What do you think building a business based on BTC is? It's exactly that! At this point BTC is still every bit as susceptible to all the if's, beliefs, and predictions that ETH is susceptible to.

They are obviously free to do what they want. But every time somebody or some group of people claim one thing regarding ETH, the opposite usually ends up happening. And it's been like that since Ethereum launched.

For example, take the hard fork from last week -- literally everybody was predicting a massive dump, and where are we now? Doesn't mean it won't happen or that there won't be be a delayed reaction, but so far the opposite has happened. By far, ETH has much greater upside potential than BTC at this point.

Regardless, this is a cool project.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @MrYukonC @kermitas

We are holding enough Ethereum to be ready for staking in the future. This farm is unrelated to our perceptions regarding the future of Ethereum.

@nasa_de

We will be using ribbon risers for this farm. I like them because they have fewer connections that can come loose.

@work

Electrical and Exhaust are contracted out. We are doing the buildout according to my spec. A few people are hired to do the manual labor. Electrical is nearly complete. We have special-ordered very large wireframe shelving units that are scheduled to arrive early next week.
    @kobigurk do you connect 1x16 molex to power?
    @kotarius I'd be interested to know how much you spend on labour and man-hours for the build out. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing this project develop!
  • kermitaskermitas Member Posts: 11
    @kotarius
    Thans for the answer.

Next one: are you using one, powerful PSU per rig or more than one (like two, or three or maybe one PSU per one GUP)?
    1x16x molex is connected to power.

@work, I will document this and post results.

We will be using one PSU per rig, everything is much simpler that way. Less risk of power backfeed issues. PSUs do not depreciate as quickly as other components, so there is no problem using high-end desktop PSUs for this deployment.
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Look forward to following your progress @kotarius -- generally speaking, what is the biggest "unknown" or unforeseen challenge you're encountering thus far, if any?
    The biggest challenge is actually working during the day in the warehouse. There is no cooling. When the exhaust is installed, the airflow should definitely help with that.

Another big issue is the logistics of having all parts arrive on time, and farm launch not to be blocking on any particular critical item.
    @kotarius I hear you! Large builds quickly turn into "sweat shops."
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    @kotarius i imagine the sourcing and coordination of everything is crazy... How many hours a week is it requiring of you to run? Wondering how possible it is to do something like this on the side.

For the cooling/exhaust - what is the solution you're implementing?
    edited July 2016
    These days I have a hard time separating work from life, it all flows together. I only try to do things that are fun for me personally, and delegate stuff I don't want to do.

Regarding the cooling, I will post an update when the fan is installed, but it involves having the farm pretty close to the exhaust, so that the hot air does not mix and recirculate back into the room. With fast enough air, you can cool a GPU with 120F ambient air temperature just fine (120F is only 48C), and GPUs run in the high 70C
    Post edited by kotarius on
  • merkleminermerkleminer Member Posts: 15
    How are you planning to handle power strips / surge protection? Particular brand and style? The "last mile" setup details seem a critical element that doesn't always get enough attention.
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I think my electricity rates are pretty good
    @merkleminer We are using AP7941 with their own circuit breakers. They have worked well in the past for single-phase power.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Why not use 3-phase power? This is how I run my mini farm. Balance the phases out and save on power costs :)
    There is unfortunately no 3-phase service to this location. It is slightly more efficient, and sometimes the billing is different 1-phase vs 3-phase.
    kotarius said:

1x16x molex is connected to power.

If not connect what is effect on mining?
    @nasa_de Yes, they must be connected or GPU will not be recognized.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I think my electricity rates are pretty good

those are great rates where are you located at ?
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @Marvell9 ._. lol coupla miles away from a hydroelectric dam, and main grid power fueled by two nuclear reactors :) (in Georgia)
  • hvalentinohvalentino Member Posts: 105
    @kotarius please help me.... I updated into the latest version 1.0.7 but now the mining pool only see 2 GPU from 2 rigs.... is this normal?