ethOS - Alternative Web Statistics Panel

buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Mining
Hi guys,
we spent little time on the new simple web statistics panel for ethOS - Ethereum Mining Platform based on Linux.

ethOS Stats v1.1

- you can still use ethOS statistics panel
- you can add notes / rig
- on/off total stats
- setting of refresh time
- overheat color
- last seen color
- show: version, GPUs/rig, name, ip, last seen time, uptime, hashrate, temperatures of GPUs, motherboard/notes

If anyone is interested, let me know, you can try it. Installation is not complicated. But you must know, I'm new in Linux and it's little bit "home solution". No history, no all information, just necessary things.

Future plans:

- API
- mobile app support
- email Alerts (overheat, rig off)
- password protection

Comments

• scryptrscryptr Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2016
    BUFFY --

Will an EthOS miner be able to point directly at your server, or does your app simply mirror the EthOS server? I added the Android app, is there a Linux version on the way?
  • buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Our Android app Monitor for ethOS is based on web API from ethosdistro.com, but Web statistics panel get information directly from your Linux and show it on our public webserver. It's not same information, in same times like ethOS statistics. It's linux version (sending scripts), but not for showing on local (some people haven't public IP address to see web statistics on own rigs from internet). Web panel is in PHP.
    edited July 2016
    BUFFY--

OK, how do I direct my EthOS system to communicate with your server? Like I said, I have the Android app, but it is on a separate tablet. I believe that I need to modify my EthOS system to send information to your server. --scryptr
    Post edited by scryptr on
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Are you releasing this to the public? Consider hosting the source code on GitHub.
    edited July 2016
    @scryptr I must make for you account on my server and prepare instalation scripts. It's not automatic :) I can also send you scripts with instalation steps in Linux via email (for check). It's one bash script and cron settings. Write me PM. You can test it.

@mmx I'm not sure. For running my webstats you need hosting or vps with ftp and webserver. You must set up it. I will think about some instalation package if it's possible...
    edited July 2016
    BUFFY--

I am looking for a tidy package that can be set up within my own LAN. A script or python module that could be set up under a small webserver (lighthttpd or similar), and instructions that describe how to alter the script that sends information to XXXXXX.ethosdistro.com so that it could be pointed to my own server.

The idea of sending my stats to another server not owned by me is absurd. EthOS runs well, but I don't want to run an OS with a back door. I suspect that EthOS has at least one back door. The "Small, Red-Eyed Goat" license is funny at best, but seems to be a veiled threat of a backdoor. --scryptr
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Just chiming in to say that there is no back door for executing remote code in ethOS.
    edited July 2016
    @scryptr ok, understand. but scripts are under your control and you connect to my server. But of course it's up to you... It's only my alternative. Everybody can do similar scripts and show own statistics.

Scripts are simple:

1. make stats (or get file from webhook)
    2. send txt file to ftp server
    3. cron -> do it every 2 minutes

ethOS webhook send every few minutes information to ethosdistro.com, you should stop it too. It's one line in their script. you can change webhook URL or stop sending stats. But this is not backdoor.
    BUFFY, KOTARIUS--

Thanks for the description. Not meaning to offend anyone, but "Don't run code that you don't understand" is a long-standing safety rule. I'll pm you, Buffy. Maybe I can figure out how to set up my own server from your code. Thanks. --scryptr
    edited July 2016
    @scryptr I will try make own webhook getting script, which means that you will change only webhook URL in ethOS. But it will disable ethos original web statistics...
    BUFFY--

Thanks. Here is my idea: A miner could point your Android app at your server, or at a personal server of his own choosing running your Linux script/code. The app is free, but I'd be willing to donate at least 0.1BTC for code to set up and run within my own LAN on a lighthttpd or similar webserver. If you got X (5-10) donations of 0.1BTC, you could release it, or perhaps just make it available for a smaller donation from anybody.

Hope this suggestion is not offensive. Money/donations offend some coders. If you are starting this script from scratch, licensing should not be a problem. If you have to borrow some code, small donations are not considered a legal compromize.

Thanks for answering these messages. I guess there was no need for a PM. --scryptr
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    buffy said:

@mmx I'm not sure. For running my webstats you need hosting or vps with ftp and webserver. You must set up it. I will think about some instalation package if it's possible...

I'm betting more than 3/4 of the users on this forum won't have a problem with that. If your system works and you plan on releasing it into the wild (re: GitHub, or any other git repo) your project will be supported by many contributors.

For starters, I can make sure your shell scripts are POSIX-compliant (shellcheck'ed) and help you write documentation if needed.
    edited July 2016
    @scryptr Android app for monitoring is connecting to API on ethosdistro.com. It's possible add another source of API, but I can't imagine that I will add every user's URL or IP do app. It must be another Android app, where you will add source of API, not only username. API must be compatible... It's no problem make app what you want, but we'd like make free app for more then one.

Donation is not offensive :) But many people told about donation and only one person sent something (1 ETH). We have 3 free apps for ethereum community (ethermine, ethpool, ethos). It's a pitty :) But I like do something for people/community.

For you is best way to use my webstat maybe with original ethosdistro API. you don't need edit any scripts in ethos linux. But I must prepare API get script.

Another way is change webook URL. Again, I must prepare Webhook get script.

Last way is make parallel script, which send stats to my server (need to be configurated). If you will host stats on your server, you have to have webstats scripts (output) on same server. Because of functions. But I'm still working on it...

@mmx thanx for your helphand. All of scripts I made by myself, but for gifthub there is many works to do.

For gifhub I should make some package, documentation how you said. There is only one way. Host it on some webhosting or vps server with ftp, php and openbasedir.

I think that more easy way is making API or Webhook getting php scripts and this version of my webstats I could give for public use. It will easy for install (only copy PHP), no special requirements for webserver and ethos linux. But I wrote it above. I must make it.

to all: I wanted show people only that is easy way to get own statistics from ethos linux to some another solution, for example local or nearby them for faster loading etc. I haven't stand alone solution, I spend few hours on it. That's all

Post edited by buffy on
  • minerman1minerman1 Member Posts: 26
    Is this still being used? I am interested in pointing my ethos rigs to your server and will pay you if you wish.
  • minerman1minerman1 Member Posts: 26
    EthMonitoring is an option but I was hoping there had been an update on this
  • RigstatOnlineRigstatOnline Member Posts: 4
    minerman1 said:

Is this still being used? I am interested in pointing my ethos rigs to your server and will pay you if you wish.

You can use this panel https://rigstat.online
    It's free and active developing