It's Official - Hard Fork on the 20th

dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
Just in case you hadn't heard. :)

Comments

• trump104trump104 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Would that explain the price trend from almost 9$ to 12$ ? Can we expect 16-20$ as it was before the DAO hack? Any speculations?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @trump104 Hasn't been $9 since right after the attack. Yes, certainly the hard fork announcement is helping the price. It signals that there, hopefully, will be a positive conclusion to this debacle, and we can finally move on. I have no idea what it will do afterwards, although I don't think it will go down, at least not in the short-term.
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    @dlehenky What exactly will do hardfork? I mean does this change anything important, noticeable for most miners? or owners of ETH? For example I received an email from Kraken that after Hard Fork all eth will be tokens from winning chain.... what that means? Thank you

About the price... I wish it to stay stable at 9-10$, like that difficulty don't rise so fast :smile:
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Good luck guys and girls with carbonvote and the fork
    https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/07/15/to-fork-or-not-to-fork/

Also,....
    Coinbase Adds Ethereum Direct Buy

Coinbase is continuing to cosy up to ethereum with its addition of direct buy methods later on this month. With the price battered by DAO dilemmas and forking problems, the positive boost has been welcomed by the ethereum community. After the integration is complete you will be able to perform direct buy for ethereum with your credit card - just as you can for bitcoin.

I tried to start a tread with the coinbase news but it looks like my thread starting privileges are rescinded .lol!
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    whew. converted all my btc and other crypto holdings to eth a few days ago at 10.xx.

What about the people like @bitcanuck that are against hard fork though?

Also funny that dao tokens are trading at their highest ever since they opened on the markets. 0.96. Almost their full value. I guess I shoulda got a bunch of dao when they were at .7
    shutfu said:

What about the people like @bitcanuck that are against hard fork though?

I'm sure they will understand that democracy is beautiful.
    I am neutral,... and will accept the outcome without any complaint, but i have not voted because there is no way of being able to spoil the ballot paper so it is not "true" democracy.

However, i like to make a penny or two so this may be another opportunity. Buy now and hold for two weeks, then sell?
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    @greenuser seems like a solid plan. i'll probably buy some more when I get home from work. Also, been seein you on the feathercoin forums! I wish poloniex would add ftc
    edited July 2016
    shutfu said:

@greenuser seems like a solid plan. i'll probably buy some more when I get home from work. Also, been seein you on the feathercoin forums! I wish poloniex would add ftc

@shutfu market cap is too small. British government are making plans for crypto coins and blockchains, so im hoping this will involve ftc as it is quite old, stable in price, and run by Oxford academics. Euroland are becoming more hostile to crypto in light of terrorism connections but the whales are welcome to land on feathers in UK. ftc is a safe haven but no fast buck at the mo. You can change it on Bittrex if you want.

Keep an eye on "SIA" (Blake2b), fast becoming a player.
    CPU mining "Groestlcoin" is worth a look too, very energy efficent (Kw used to $ made).
    also HHD mining "Burstcoin", even more energy efficent.
    Stay clear of "Steem", it was hacked this morning
    Currently looking forward to running the new "geth" and seeing the back to inaction and indecisiveness. Seems the miners didn't get the final say, but anyway, if this works out i may be mining eth again.

Also, hope that VB decides to shift from PoW to PoC instead of PoS come Serenity.
    Post edited by greenuser on
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Miners will still ultimately have the option of having the final say. The devs have indicated that the carbonvote result will determine the default on/off for the hard-fork. But, miners could still collectively choose not to upgrade or to run the update with hard-fork opted out. (Can't see this happening ofc, but saying miners don't determine the fait here is quite incorrect).

Time to remove the PoW ice age already...
    @work I had a gitter dialog (parity topic) with Gavin W. last night, and I mentioned the "bomb", but he said the way that it was implemented in Homestead will already delay it considerably. Then another poster linked a VB reddit post, which basically said it really would have little effect until after block 3500000, as it stands now. Of course, it remains to be seen what they do come Metro.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@work I had a gitter dialog (parity topic) with Gavin W. last night, and I mentioned the "bomb", but he said the way that it was implemented in Homestead will already delay it considerably. Then another poster linked a VB reddit post, which basically said it really would have little effect until after block 3500000, as it stands now. Of course, it remains to be seen what they do come Metro.

I understood none of that...lol
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @dlehenky Ya, it's not so much that it's a pressing matter. It's just a point of salt for me I suppose - I don't like the idea of intentionally crippling the blockchain at some point in the future. The only point of such is to force the need for consensus changes later, and it just seems like a very dirty/back-handed way of ensuring people will update.
    @work The only constant is change, so who knows what will ultimately happen. I do think that the whole DAO mess has brought a bit of caution and sobriety to the power that be.