EthOS - Chargeback your purchase

13»

Comments

• buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
  • ihacksihacks Member Posts: 61
    If you guys looking for an alternative check my latest article: http://adrian.ihacks.ro/ethos-custom-panel/
  • buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    great work! I'm just testing my webhook get script and API connection. But you are faster :)
  • ihacksihacks Member Posts: 61
    @buffy Huehue, I used basic PHP to process datas, and save them in raw format, no MySQL, or any kind of this
  • malefactormalefactor Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2016
    This discussion is funny. The main mistake I can point out is that rigs can cost more like $2400-$3000, depending.

This thread is full of people that can't or won't invest the significant time to create and debug a mining rig OS, and are incensed at the idea of paying someone else $29 to do it for them. A little over 1% for a key service offloaded is a great deal. You probably pay more than that for a mining pool, and that fee is continuously on revenue, not sunk cost.

I would even say a $29/rig/year license is reasonable. If it were me selling this product, I'd charge no less than $100/rig/yr. The people complaining have no idea what kind of work goes in. If you think this sucks, stop bitching and go make it yourself. The roadmaps are out there. You can invest your time and have your own solution FOR FREE, but the catch is that then YOU must debug and be responsible -- nobody cares if you're having problems.

I don't guarantee you'll come back to ethOS after, but at the very least you'll gain an appreciation of the work he does more.

* I'm not a user of ethOS, and have never seen it. just think the hyperbolic comments about a $29 one time cost are funny. The sense of entitlement, and lack of respect for the skill & experience required to pull this off is staggering.

** at the same time, the same people want, nay, DEMAND for the right to pay Claymore 2% continuously for his dual miner.

• malefactormalefactor Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2016
    Fair enough, maybe the guy is scum. In that case there is a market opportunity. I believe in life you get what you pay for.

All I was trying to share was that I have encountered the idea constantly that developer time should be free, and that software is easy. Neither is true. I think you think the same way by saying "changed around a few things in open source software".

It's actually moderately difficult for me to set up a mining OS that works well, and that's just for me. AMD and Nvidia drivers are not exactly very stable; optimal versions vary, and they don't go in smoothly at all. Next, I would have to generalize it, and put in creature comforts, including pretty GUIs, automatic config, and so on. Then, I'd have to support every Tom, Dick, and Harry with all the shitty hardware they buy off of alibaba because it saved them $0.20 on a $2500 machine. Next, I'd have to support all the graphics cards back 5 generations and forward. All this for spectacularly nontechnical people who don't understand the first thing about computers, who have gotten into mining because they heard you can make lots of money and they like money and their cousin's 13 year old kid can program really well because he made his own webpage that looks really good [think geocities] so if a 13 year old kid can program why should I pay even $30 for a single copy to run my $25,000 mining installation that's a complete rip off you're cheating me.

All for a one time cost of $30? No thanks. I could make more hourly by working for McDonalds.

And this thread is bitching about it being _per machine_? You have no idea what kind of a bargain that is. Take it and stop complaining, or f'ing do it yourself and find out how much work it really is to do this. I'd wager that if the people complaining really tried they'd come back and gladly pay more for this mining OS.

It is, after all, just moving a few open source softwares around. Guides are out there. Go learn something and try it--maybe I'm a loudmouth crank--go prove me wrong. You do, after all, stand to gain 1% of your sunk cost.
  • sling00sling00 Member Posts: 11
    Malefactor I think i love you.
  • VirosaVirosa Member Posts: 43
    Nice, someone realized there's hundreds of manhours in developing this/things such as this.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    G416G said:

Its free world do what you want but let's not hoist these devs to god like status because they changed around a few things in open source software.

Paying a license fee is not treating someone like a god, it is just being honest. If you want to see a list of everything on ethOS, it is available at http://ethosdistro.com/changelog/

Please note, all of these action items take about 1-2 hours per each on average.
  • WatchingLibertyWatchingLiberty Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    I'm using ethOS and I love it.

It's my first full mining rig and I researched over a month learning the ethereum system, what hardware worked best, which software to use, wallets, exchanges, etc.

My only prior mining experience was using my gaming desktop as a proof-of-concept test rig with windows 10.

When I got all the pieces together, being an amateur on the linux environment, I got onto the ethOS IRC and started asking questions (which, by-the-way, was incredibly easy to do because Hexchat is built into the OS, autologging me into the correct channel). Kotarius, Virosa, and others were exceptionally helpful and I eventually got the rig up and running stable.

I paid $39 for the digital download of the OS. I would have paid that for help they offered me troubleshooting the hardware issues I was having in the beginning. They helped me through those issues despite the fact that my problems had nothing to do with ethOS.

Since that time I've been regularly logged into the chat to see what else my amateur ass can learn and I have not been disappointed.

I'm already planning out my 2nd rig and it will include another legal copy of ethOS, probably from a bundle this time. I like it and the support I've received, and I don't mind paying kotarius and his crew for their time and effort. They're in it to make money, and I hope they make a lot. If some kind of technical issue arises where my stats panel goes offline, I bet a 3 second search of my inbox will reveal any emails I need to clear it up.

But then again, I'm actually buying the software and have no unreasonable expectation of getting something for nothing.

*edit because my proofreading skills need work
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Can you provide a status update on RX 480 GPU support? Last I heard was this was going to ship on the 15th. Will this date be met?
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @kotarius i've sent an email 2 times now requesting for my stats page to be verified for multiple rigs - its been several hours now, and still nothing. When will your staff get around to enabling it for me? :(
  • zedzednovazedzednova Member Posts: 53

I would even say a $29/rig/year license is reasonable. If it were me selling this product, I'd charge no less than $100/rig/yr. The people complaining have no idea what kind of work goes in. If you think this sucks, stop bitching and go make it yourself. The roadmaps are out there. You can invest your time and have your own solution FOR FREE, but the catch is that then YOU must debug and be responsible -- nobody cares if you're having problems.

Assuming (yeah, I know...) you make the US minimum wage of $7.25/hour, this would be just over 4 hours of work. Good luck getting your OS to do everything that ethOS does in just 4 hours of your time. Oh, and as @malefactor said, when your sh!@t breaks it's your problem. When my ethOS breaks I jump on IRC and get an answer. Oh, wait, my ethOS hasn't broken, it just works. Out of the box with just a little config following the easy instructions and I was up and mining. It's been stable ever since, including auto-booting after power outages. YMMV.

This is the stats page for my miner: http://022102.ethosdistro.com

I spent a bunch of hours trying to tweak my GPU for optimal performance, but that's not a problem for the ethOS team to solve.

@kotarius and @Virosa and others on the dev team do a great job, and are adding new features with a new release about every 4-6 weeks or so, at no additional cost to me. I just update my mining rig (takes about 5-7 minutes to download, install, and reboot) and I've got the latest code.

I'm not a paid shill, just a satisfied customer who would buy from them again.

Cheers,

- zed
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2016

I spent a bunch of hours trying to tweak my GPU for optimal performance, but that's not a problem for the ethOS team to solve.

I was just wondering, are you still testing? I see one 370/270 card, that's it.
  • zedzednovazedzednova Member Posts: 53

I was just wondering, are you still testing? I see one 370/270 card, that's it.
    @cascadia_coin nope, that's it. All the tweaking time gained me about 2 MH/s (now about 16 +/- from just under 14). This is a hobby/learning miner for me. It is running on an open wire shelf beside my desk in my home office.

Cheers,

- zed