RX480 4GB and 8GB settings - Crimson-16.7.1-Win10

2»

Comments

• MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    heandog69 said:

im just starting to get sudden unstability issues with the rx480's, also having this issue with them not going above 2050mhz something strange going on

Downgrade your driver to 16.7.2 and you can go up to 2250MHz in WattMan
  • heandog69heandog69 Member Posts: 283 ✭✭
    Metz said:

heandog69 said:

im just starting to get sudden unstability issues with the rx480's, also having this issue with them not going above 2050mhz something strange going on

Downgrade your driver to 16.7.2 and you can go up to 2250MHz in WattMan
    just done it thanks
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have 3 different brand reference 480s (8gb). I setup each at 1050mhz core 920mv, 2200mhz mem 900mv... Stable so far! 27.05 - 27.1 mh/s each.

Like it was stated above, don't touch the newest drivers! 16.7.2 is where it is at for now.
  • JosevoraJosevora Lisbon, PortugalMember Posts: 93
    Hi guys...
    @heandog69 and @dddrgonzooo
    to solve that, you need to get the latest Crimson 16.8.3, BUT DO NOT UPDATE THE DRIVER (i find it unstable)... only update the "AMD Settings", NOT THE DRIVERS!!!
  • RetechRetech Member Posts: 46
    for ETH only or Dual with Siacoin ???
    Guys.... how long have you tested these configs?...i've run for 20h no problem... after that i had 2 GPUs 'OFF' at the same time! (a little heart attack) :s ... i just rebooted the machine and it's working 100%....... :neutral: i don't know what to expect now...........
    edited September 2016
    ...my second run is on for 24h:30m.... 100%....
    Temps are Stable, Fans are Stable... Hash speed is stable (a lot more the usual)...
    I'm liking it so far, but i'll give it an other 24h straight just to stress it...
  • MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    I have the same problem. It runs fine for 20 hours and then I get this BSOD:

I'm using Crimson Edition 16.8.3 Hotfix drivers.
    Should I try to downgrade to 16.7.3?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    MARETH2 said:

I have the same problem. It runs fine for 20 hours and then I get this BSOD:

I'm using Crimson Edition 16.8.3 Hotfix drivers.
    Should I try to downgrade to 16.7.3?

I'm on 16.8.3 it should be fine.

I'm thinking of a new release with auto power and allowing the vol-offset to be applied via watttool as you get a better undervolt and possible more stable as its more tuned for each card.

watch this space
  • ceddycakesceddycakes Member Posts: 70
    SIRacer09 said:

I just got my 4gb and im using 16.7.2 and it doesn't seem wattman is changing my 480s vcore (using gpuz to test), any idea?

Yeah, Wattman sucks. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Is there any other overclocking software that works for the RX 480s?

Wattman is garbage for the 470/480 cards. The slightest tweak and the driver will crash. I overclocked my 480 by two points, and then the card decided it didn't want to work anymore. I had to factory reset my rig because of it. The drivers wouldn't uninstall. Some files were stuck. These are the reasons why gamers prefer nvidia. The ease of use for nvidia just obliterates AMD cards. IMO.
    @MARETH2 my last run was 60h straight...
    i'm Using Crimson 16.6.2 (i'm not stupid, i know it's Pre-Power correction driver, but i'm using Powered Raisers anyway)
    I'm aiming to test 16.7.1 and 16.7.2... but 'ill try an other 48h run before that....
    @ceddycakes well, i've had some issues with Wattman, yes... but you have to see that these cards tend to accept specific Voltages and Clocks better then Increments of 1, for example... you just have to find the sweet spots!
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100
    Will it work with sapphire rx 480 4gb oc ???
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100
    @boysie will it work with sapphire rx 480 4gb OC ?
  • wlefeverwlefever Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2016
    So i've been tweaking these settings and gettting good results on a 4x rx480 rig but my system keeps crashing at random intervals. I am not always at the location of my rig and wattman resets everytime the system shuts down and reboots so I can't just simply run an auto starter.
    What is everyone doing to keep this system up for days if not weeks at a time? My system includes:
    Asrock h81 btc pro mobo
    Crucial Ballistix 8 GB RAM
    Intel Celeron G1840
    Kingston 120 GB - Windows 10 OS
    -Sapphire RX480 8GB
    -Powercolor 480 RX 4 GB
    -(2) XFX 480 RX 8GB
    -(2) Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Running Claymore (6.4 or 7.0) ETH Only at around 155 MH/s and 800 watts

It looks like this topic has been mentioned but I have not seen a solution to achieve the same efficiencies but also have the system stay on for longer durations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@wlefever ,
    well, you gonna have to try each card untill you find the one(s) that are not accepting this config... which driver are you using? use 16.7.1!!!
    i have tested:
    16.6.6 (runs 60h straight no problem!)
    16.7.1 (i had to stop my last run at 47h... but t'ill now no major problems... seams stable)
    16.8.2 (the first one a tested, UNSTABLE!!!)
  • FlexinFlexin FranceMember Posts: 45
    This config work flawlessly for me with last drivers 16.9.1 (hotfix) and Claymore 7.0
    but i want to try to flash my 6 cards for running with Boysie LOWpowerROM we can reach more mh/s and less power consumption...
    But i really need a video tutorial for do that, i don't want to burn my gpus or something else...

I found a video on youtube about flashing BIOS and install ROM but it's for RX470 and it seems to be difFerent for RX480, so if someone speak french for explain me the steps clearly, or someone decide to make a video tutorial for RX480 REF of course, it will be thanked for all community who are noobs without knowledge in computers.

Thanks.

Link of the video for RX470 Flashing BIOS/MOD Tuto :
  • wlefeverwlefever Member Posts: 7
    @Josevora I have tried mutliple drivers but currently on 16.7.3 and tried slightly different settings that are not quite as overclocked. If I crash soon I will revert back to the 16.7.1 driver and try individually again like you mention. Thanks!
  • niubbo1969niubbo1969 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    But every card rx480 (reference and non reference) with 4Gb can upgrade to 8Gb?
  • FlexinFlexin FranceMember Posts: 45
    Up about tuto for flashing the Bios of my 6 Rx480 Sapphire REF cards, i saw somes people can reach ~180 mh/s for 880 - 900 Watts, if you want help me to do that you can PM me (Skype, Teamviewer), i ask only to learn :)
    Flexin said:

This config work flawlessly for me with last drivers 16.9.2 (hotfix) and Claymore 7.0
    but i want to try to flash my 6 cards for running with Boysie LOWpowerROM we can reach more mh/s and less power consumption...
    But i really need a video tutorial for do that, i don't want to burn my gpus or something else...

I found a video on youtube about flashing BIOS and install ROM but it's for RX470 and it seems to be difFerent for RX480, so if someone speak french for explain me the steps clearly, or someone decide to make a video tutorial for RX480 REF of course, it will be thanked for all community who are noobs without knowledge in computers.

Thanks.

• cvipercviper Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Theese settings seems to be most stable with latest 16.9.1 driver and Claymore Dual miner 6.3version.
  • armymanarmyman Member Posts: 23
    boysie said:

so had a terrible time setting this one up but think I have some thing stable now for these 2 cards

xFx core 4GB settings @27Mh using 136w @wall 125w @card

Wattman

GPUz

Sapphire 8GB settings @27Mh using 130w @wall 119w @card

Wattman

GPUz

Hope this helps you get a good MH out your cards will less effort than I put my self though

Boyise
    I am gradually increasing my cards (XFX RX480 8 gb) hashrate and I have just applied this mod.
    All of them are running at over 27Mh/s now, but one is subject to wide variation in the hashrate, it goes from below 25Mh/s to over 27 Mh/s.
    Any idea why?
    @armyman did you apply the mod via manual config or BIOS mod?
    if it was via Manual config, double check the power limit... set it to +50% on all the cards....

Hope that Helps...
    Take Care.
  • MattJ2323MattJ2323 Member Posts: 2
    I'm running Crimson 16.7.1 on an Rx 480. None of the settings work and trying different Memory mhz and voltage still crashes to and white or black screen every time. The only difference between me and the original post is I am running a slightly different bios, am I missing something? Please help.
    @MattJ2323
    what do you mean by "slightly different bios"? did you check the code?.... if it is different, it IS different!

Do this:
    try the settings for each separate card! (ALONE, remove the others)
    (if you find ONE card not accepting the settings, test it and run slower clocks and/or voltages for that card alone! That's the point of having independent settings control)

(if all is ok with the cards, and IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE with switching the BIOS, do it!!! AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

(if that doesn't work... just try other settings, you have lots of options!)
  • cosmoscosmos Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2017
    @boysie thanks for providing this thread. I am using a single Strix RX480 8Gb for both gaming and (some) 8-hour-per-day mining, and I wanted to avoid flashing special firmware images.

I tried your own settings, and I must say I am impressed. Wattage has dropped by a health 30%!

I do have one question though, perhaps the others can answer it too. I am running the latest AMD 17.7.2 drivers and I want your settings to apply ONLY when the claymore executable comes to play. Now on nvidia, I would just create a profile and get this over with. However here, I find it rather confusing. I created a new profile for the EthDcrMiner64.exe and set there your own settings, presuming that whenever that executable was run, the specific Wattman profile would be loaded. However, this does not happen :(
    Any idea on how that can be accomplished?

EDIT: One more question: how can I set wattman to keep fans in a way that temperature always stays at no more than say 60 degrees?