ethpool and uncles

hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
So, now that I have about 1.3GH of mining power, I decided to move from ethermine back to ethpool a few days ago.

What I want to know, is why I have never mined any uncles? I see other users with lower and higher hash rates than me, and they are mining uncles all the time.. am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    Uncles are for the most part based on luck!
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    You would think for mining on ethpool for 2 months nonstop that you would stumble upon atleast one uncle, no? This is what I don't understand.. is it because ethOS and claymore's miners are so well optimised that the chances of getting uncles are zero?
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    Maybe, I've been rewarded 2 uncles since May. One was on a Wednesday and the other the following Saturday in June. Obviously the more hash the better the chance because you should be at the top more. Its luck. You know when you were on ethermine you will be rewarded the uncle when the pool gets an uncle, but so does everyone else.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Yes I realised that, but thought with my current hash rate, i'd be able to take the lot on ethpool instead and make a bit more profit.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @hasher It has nothing to do with your mining setup (but stales do). It's simply variance (luck). Not only whether the pool happens to solve an uncle, rather than a full block, but also when you happen to be up next for the block/uncle. There are over 800 miners on ethpool now, so ...