Beginner's guide to Ethereum

Hi everyone! I'm new to the Ethereum scene and very interested in the project's potential. My background in cryptocurrency is that I own some BTC and LTC and recently set up a mining rig with the help of a friend. I don't understand the technicality of most of what I do, but the coin community keeps me coming back - it's so infectious!! And I'm learning more and more as I go along.

I've read most of the Ethereum whitepaper and understand the basics of what Ethereum and the concept of a contract. My question is will Ethereum be viewed more as an altcoin? I've been an altcoin enthusiast the past few months but am having trouble seeing many altcoins being built on Ethereum. Maybe it's because most of the use cases I hear talked about are for apps, not coins.

Would love the forum's input on that question! Also, if there are any beginner's guides (non-technical!) you know of, I'd love for you to share them here

Sophia

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Ethereum uses Ether as its cryptofuel, which will likely be traded on most exchanges at launch.

As for the tutorials, we have a few stickies on the forums but it's very early days, and oriented towards advanced developers for the time being. Expect codeacademy-type tutorials three months or more from now. Cheers!