Pool mining and not finding any solutions

dollabilldollabill Member Posts: 18
Hi,

Hope this is the right board.

Quick background:
- Dipped my toe in with an R7 360 for a short time (4 - 5 days), a few shares came in - all good.
- Bought another video card, bumped up the hashes, more shares - all good.
- Bought another video card, the R7 360 didn't fit anymore. Ordered some PCI-E risers and while waiting on delivery mined with the two fastest card. Heaps more shares - all good.
- Pulled out an old workstation, put the R7 in and started mining. Nothing in over three days. Past experience showed an average of 5 shares per day - what the?

Totally understand there is an element of luck, but how about this. For shits and giggles I've put the CPUs to work mining too - this rig found three shares in 24 hours and the hash rate between the CPU and GPU are worlds apart. I'd say CPU shares are lucky, but no GPU shares are totally unlucky.

I've deleted the DAG file and re-created it as the only point of troubleshooting. Otherwise, everything looks and seems OK.

Three questions I'm hoping to have some help with:
1. I noticed when the DAG file was being re-created it made the file, started mining and started making another DAG file while mining. Never seen this before, is this normal or something I should even worry about?
2. Regarding the no shares - any thoughts here are appreciated.
3. I'm pool mining with nanopool. The worker isn't reported in the stats page. I'm guessing no shares, no reporting. But what about the contribution of the hash rate to the pool? I's like running last in a race and not even getting a participation award.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes, it's normal. The one it's building while you're mining is the pre-compute for the *next* DAG.
    2. Really hard to say given the info provided. It could be any number of things with the card being in a complete different, old system.
    3. You're assuming you are contributing hash rate, but you don't know that. If you're not contributing enough to earn a share, then, well, you don't earn a share. A share is the measure of your hash contribution.
  • dollabilldollabill Member Posts: 18
    @dlehenky Thanks for 1 & 2. RE 3: what are some of "any number of things"?

The hash rate of the card in the old and new system are also the same.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but are you sure you're connecting to the pool? Are you using stratum or "get-work" to connect? If stratum, are you using eth-proxy with ethminer? Genoil? Claymore? You need to verify that your new "old" rig is actually talking to the pool. The hash rate you're seeing, from what I gather, is from the miner log - it's the hash rate of the GPU. That doesn't tell you beans about what the pool is receiving.
    dlehenky said:

Yes, but are you sure you're connecting to the pool? Are you using stratum or "get-work" to connect? If stratum, are you using eth-proxy with ethminer? Genoil? Claymore? You need to verify that your new "old" rig is actually talking to the pool. The hash rate you're seeing, from what I gather, is from the miner log - it's the hash rate of the GPU. That doesn't tell you beans about what the pool is receiving.

Yes, but are you sure you're connecting to the pool? Honestly, don't know how to answer that. Maybe?? See below.

If stratum, are you using eth-proxy with ethminer? ethminer. By the fact that work packages are coming down, I assume I'm connected to the pool. Would this be right?

You need to verify that your new "old" rig is actually talking to the pool. Before posting, I did a stack of reading. Maybe the wrong places or not the right articles. For the uninitiated, throw me a bone? I *am* trying to work this out...
    Well.... eth-proxy installed. I'll see what happens now I guess!
    Change to eth-proxy and even changed pools.

eth-proxy logs show a hash rate and hours in, still no shares. A CPU is putting this GPU to shame...
  • ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    you might try this link, all you need to do is unzip and edit .bat file in it to fill in your wallet and rig name. happy mining

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CE77B81CEB49B946!11145&authkey=!ALZPrQvFH411LdI&ithint=file,zip

you might try this link, all you need to do is unzip and edit .bat file in it to fill in your wallet and rig name. happy mining

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CE77B81CEB49B946!11145&authkey=!ALZPrQvFH411LdI&ithint=file,zip

@ethermine_rocks When did a community forum turn into playground for post-to-post sales people?
  • revcrevc Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2016
    They are right though (I'm not affiliated with them, in fact I have my own pool), nanopool is pretty bad. I don't think they pay out the full block rewards, and I actually had better luck mining solo.

If you're not going to join their pool, at least try to find one that works and pays out the full block+ uncles+txn fees.

Edit: their pool means that zip file
    This has majorly gone off topic, but I'll entertain for a paragraph or two.

I posted asking the paraphrased question of "A GPU that was previously getting shares is no longer, but a CPU is. Any pointers?". It has turned into "Join my pool"...

@revc - @ethermine_rocks didn't say anything about how good (or bad) nanopool is or what they do (or don't) payout. Only "try this". If you're making the point then be clear about it.

So, in the hope that someone could offer advice or pointers I would really appreciate it.

Using Ubuntu 15.10, eth-proxy/ethminer with an MSI R7 360 GPU. This GPU in a different rig was finding shares (solo card/pool mining) and after been relocated to another rig (again, solo card/pool mining) not one share has been found.

Is there anything else I can do for some troubleshooting?
  • revcrevc Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2016
    Oh, Ubuntu 15. That's not an LTS version, so try 14.4. 16 is broken for other reasons.
    Doesn't matter that 15 was working at one point, its just probably better that you don't use it.

(Protip: only ever use LTS builds of Ubuntu, 14.4 is known to work)
    Both rigs are 15.10.

I'll drop the one not finding any shares back to 14 and see how it goes.
  • hitchpoolhitchpool Member Posts: 45
    Here are some ideas you could try:

Try different mining clients: For example claymore doesn't create dag files.

or:

Start a geth instance with --testnet, create a wallet for the testnet and let it download the test blockchain. Then let your gpu mine directly with ethminer against your testnet geth instance.

Here you can check blocks found on the testnet:
    http://testnet.etherscan.io

Testnet difficulty at the moment is ~ 2.000.000.000 so even with a 10mh/s gpu you should find a block relatively fast.

Another option:
    If you are tech savvy start a mock service for the getwork rpc call with a very low difficulty and see if the gpu finds shares for that if you point it against this mock.

If nothing else helps
    I can let you know when we spin up our testnet pool instances for our pool again and let you try mine against that (would be very low difficulty).

+1 for the 14.04 ubuntu version. better to use the lts releases for something like mining.

hope you figure something out
    edited June 2016
    @hitchpool Brilliant. Ty!

Interestingly, 14.04 hasn't yielded anything (yet).
  • laptopfreek0laptopfreek0 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Would like to throw in my "I'm having the same issue as well"

Setup:
    Ubuntu 14.04 (netbooted) connected to an eth-proxy server with geth
    ethminer pointed to eth-proxy
    R9 290 hashing at 23Mh/s (according to eth-miner)
    amd drivers: 15.302 downloaded from AMD's site.

I left the miner for 4 days without a single share being reported. Switched to a new pool a few hours ago and still nothing. eth-proxy registeres new jobs, and reports the hashrate for the client, and the miner reports:
    miner 11:26:27.852|ethminer Mining on PoWhash #04dcdb43⦠: 25575024 H/s = 5242880 hashes / 0.205 s
    multiple times a second.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but just trying to contribute my setup that is experiencing the same issue.

EDIT: After compiling and running Genoil ethminer and leaving all other pieces in place the pool started reporting my hashrate. So I think we have some progress now.
    Post edited by laptopfreek0 on
    edited June 2016
    @laptopfreek0 How did Genoil work out for you?

I have done the same - trying Genoil - and can only say that the hash rate seems to have dropped slightly as reported by eth-proxy.

2016-06-14 11:39:46,018 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 4.169288 MHs
    2016-06-14 11:40:46,168 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 4.169288 MHs
    2016-06-14 11:41:46,430 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 4.169288 MHs
    2016-06-14 11:42:46,221 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 4.169288 MHs

To:
    2016-06-14 13:00:15,023 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 13:01:15,141 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 13:02:15,103 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 13:03:15,095 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 13:04:15,035 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs

Using same ethminer variables.

Anyhow, slow GPU. Time to run it for awhile to see if there are any shares found.

Novice question - why would one (ethminer) not find any shares and another (Genoil) find some? Does one "favor" particular GPUs (or drivers or motherboards or ???) to another?
    Post edited by dollabill on
    This is nice to see:
    2016-06-14 14:14:25,178 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 14:15:25,196 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 14:16:25,179 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 3.874049 MHs
    2016-06-14 14:17:25,042 INFO proxy # Hashrate for RIG_NAME is 5.165399 MHs
    2016-06-14 14:18:20,451 INFO proxy # MAIN eth_submitWork 0x330692be9ed9f937 by RIG_NAME
    2016-06-14 14:18:20,486 INFO protocol # [35ms] eth_submitWork from 'RIG_NAME' accepted

Genoil is, for some reason, finding shares when ethminer wasn't!

Solved, at least the finding shares part. Pandora's box tho - why Genoil and not ethminer.