Distributed Compute Cloud

frodopwnsfrodopwns Member Posts: 3
Hi Guys.

I have an idea I would like to have validated. If valid I'd like to see if any developers would be interested in working on the idea with me.

I would like to harness the GPU mining power that currently exists in Altcoin networks and sell that computing power to Researchers.

With the advent of scrypt asics the value of GPU mining rigs is hitting rock bottom. It wont be more than a year before people start selling off their GPU rigs en masse to buy asics or leave mining entirely. I am interested in using Ethereum (if possible) to make the connection between researchers and miners.

Does anyone think this is feasible?

Thanks

Comments

• jw1jw1 Member Posts: 27
    I really hope someone builds a Distributed Compute Cloud at some point. You wouldn't have to limit it to GPU...anyone with compute power could mine for such a "computecoin". This is what maidsafe is doing with safecoin but for storage.
  • HadrienHadrien MaltaMember Posts: 17 ✭✭
    one of the problem I see is that GPU mining rigs are single precision calculators, while scientists use mainly double precision calculators. Feasible, but at the cost of conversion of the rigs to double precision (and the chips aren't at all made for this), or for scientific projects that can make use of single precision.
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a really difficult problem.. You have to prove correct computation, in the GPU context. Also, how much power does this use, if used full time? It has to actually be cheaper.