AMD Radeon RX 480 What do you think?

Comments

• BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    bitcanuck said:

It looks like there will be a lot more supply of the Rx 480 cards than there was of the GTX 1080.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-shipments-hit-us-stores/

Funny, i just walk yesterday on Microcenter guy putting 2 GTX 1070 on the counter plus they had 3 GTX 1080 standing there already.
    The guy said "Finally, we are getting a stock". I said that I am waiting on 480. Then, I left, but it occured to me that I could have sold them (GTX1080) on ebay for $800-at least that was the 'scalper's edition" price yesterday, more or less.
    Oh, well. You cannot think about profit ALL the time.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    xeto1210 said:

xeto1210 said:

What mobo support 5 or 6 rx 480/?

asrock h81 pro btc
    I 've seen anyone say it can't get sufficient 6 new types of graphics cards from 290x to 2016.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean you've heard that it doesn't work with 6gpus of the newer cards?
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    RX 480 stress test. 112.8 calculated power draw would mean 130 at the wall. Nice result.
    ** Cards are already in stock at the shops and the retailers are the reason for the test/leaks.
    PS. it's the 8gb 8000mhz version, 4gb 7000mhz will be slightly slower and should draw around 120 at the wall.
    PS2. since the 8gb will be around $30-40 more expensive I'd say go for 4GB and OC the memory.

• RyanDRyanD Member Posts: 10
    @bbcoin in hand or just a ripped screenshot from someone else? :)
    edited June 2016
    @RyanD found on the net but you just reminded me my mate is a supervisor at one of the computer retailers. Might hit him up for stock.
    ** nope seems like some shops are still all about Nvidia.
  • xeto1210xeto1210 Member Posts: 35

xeto1210 said:

xeto1210 said:

asrock h81 pro btc
    I 've seen anyone say it can't get sufficient 6 new types of graphics cards from 290x to 2016.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean you've heard that it doesn't work with 6gpus of the newer cards?
    yes, sir
    edited June 2016
    xeto1210 said:

xeto1210 said:

xeto1210 said:

asrock h81 pro btc
    yes, sir
    You've heard wrong. There isn't a single reason why it wouldn't work.
  • AmphAmph Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2016
    bbcoin said:

Amph said:

appear to be very stable at 37MH i contacted the guy that reached that value, even if it cost double of a 480, it still worth it because of density, if you have a big farm you might want to save on useless component like cpu mobo ram...

It doesn't matter, because of the big price difference 470/480 will reach ROI much quicker.
    We are taking 3 months vs 5 months for 1070
    no because they consume more so roi time is more like 3 vs 4 or even equal, also 1070 is a new card you don't need to reach roi so fast, they hold theur value for 1 year at least

you are comparing 37mhs at 140w against 48mh(2 x 480) at 240w total

33% more hash with 70% more consumption, and more rig to buy, so 1070 is far better
  • c04xc04x Member Posts: 4
    Amph said:

no because they consume more so roi time is more like 3 vs 4 or even equal, also 1070 is a new card you don't need to reach roi so fast, they hold theur value for 1 year at least

GTX 1070 does 37mhs?
    c04x said:

Amph said:

GTX 1070 does 37mhs?
    Pics or it didn't happen ;) someone mentioned it's possible under linux but no screens ever surfaced.
  • madsquirrelmadsquirrel Colorado, USAMember Posts: 38
    bbcoin said:

c04x said:

Amph said:

GTX 1070 does 37mhs?
    Pics or it didn't happen ;) someone mentioned it's possible under linux but no screens ever surfaced.
    Where are we getting the 48mh and which card?
    edited June 2016
    More RX 470 info:

2048sp just a little bit faster than R9 380 and gtx 970 at 110w power draw... ITX form factor. Should come in at 21mhs for ether.

I'm in love...

PS. downside of this will be the same as with 1070/1080 people doubt retailers will stay true to the original 149/199 price with that kind of performance. I mean all the shops are still sitting on r9 380's and gtx970's at a higher price point....
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    So where can you pre-order these cards?
    adaseb said:

So where can you pre-order these cards?

There are a few places but they want +280 dollars

Guess we will have to wait till 29th and simply get them right away.
  • RyanDRyanD Member Posts: 10
    I've had mine for a few days but mining on linux is impossible :) Takes Ubuntu 16.10 w/Linux kernel 4.7rc4 just to get it to a usable point :)
    c04x said:

Amph said:

GTX 1070 does 37mhs?
    yes under linux, check the thread about it, and soon under windows too
    edited June 2016
    Someone joined the party early...

PS reddit shits their pants we will make the card go out of stock and higher in price.
    Fun fact: look at the gpu's closely they are being used with all of the plastic still on. Most likely on the side of a production line or retailers warehouse ;) then sold as 'new'
    so lol they are already mining with those
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    @bbcoin hmmmm. Wish that person would post hashrates! It would be nice to know whether or not to buy 1 or 6 on wednesday morning! ;)
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    SIRacer09 said:

@bbcoin hmmmm. Wish that person would post hashrates! It would be nice to know whether or not to buy 1 or 6 on wednesday morning! ;)

Buy 6 Gigabyte brand cards. The manf warranty transfers on those, so you'd be able to resale at a premium unlike the other cards where the warranty doesn't transfer...
    MSI 8GB RX480 on pre-order available around July 16th $239
    MAX LIMIT 3 PER CUSTOMER.... oops.
    I'm going to try to hit up my local Microcenter and see if they have any. Unfortunately I have all day meetings Wednesday. :( Hope they have some left after work and there isn't a limit.
    SIRacer09 said:

I'm going to try to hit up my local Microcenter and see if they have any. Unfortunately I have all day meetings Wednesday. :( Hope they have some left after work and there isn't a limit.

@SIRacer09 - I have 3 MicroCenter locations around me that I plan to visit tomorrow and purchase as many rx 480s that I can. Send me a PM if you aren't able to acquire any and if I'm able to score additional that I can't use I'll sell them at cost...
    @thesmokingman That would be great! I might have to take you up on it. I'm hoping to grab at least 4, but who knows. I read an article a day or two ago that said the Overland Park Microcenter will have 100 on launch day. We'll see how fast they go!
    SIRacer09 said:

@thesmokingman That would be great! I might have to take you up on it. I'm hoping to grab at least 4, but who knows. I read an article a day or two ago that said the Overland Park Microcenter will have 100 on launch day. We'll see how fast they go!

Sounds good. I'm from Maryland, so I would have the following stores to visit:

Microcenter - Baltimore/Towson
    Microcenter - Beltway/Rockville
    Microcenter - Northern Va/Fairfax
  • TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    lol 72° at 3°?!? -> OMG image
    Shouldn't be the badest decision to wait for custom design 480's.
  • madsquirrelmadsquirrel Colorado, USAMember Posts: 38
    On the plus side it could start a fire to heat up that cold cold room.
  • xeto1210xeto1210 Member Posts: 35
    o:) Winter it into the furnace repair
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    bbcoin said:

MSI 8GB RX480 on pre-order available around July 16th $239
    MAX LIMIT 3 PER CUSTOMER.... oops.

I didn't see any limits. I preorder 24 cards at $239 each.