AMD Radeon RX 480 What do you think?

Comments

• c04xc04x Member Posts: 4
    bbcoin said:

bitcanuck said:

If you mine on Windows with most 16.x drivers on a R9 380 you'll get 16-18Mh instead of 21 that you get with 15.7.1. I'm still confident that under Linux, perhaps with the new Vulkan drivers, the Rx 480 will do close to 30Mh/s.

I was wondering why my 7970 (claymore shows it as a 280x/380x i think) was only getting like 16mhs. I'm using 16.4.2 but do i need 15.7.1 or would 15.12 be okay?
    15.12 is fine you should see more like 19-20
    I'm getting 20 Mh/s with 280x clocked at 1100/1500 using latest drivers (16.6.1 Hotfix) and AFAIK 7970 could be getting less even tho it's rebrand. Can't rever back to 15.12 or 15.7 to check what I was getting but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

Concerning RX480 and disregarding screenshots on cryptominingblog (no idea about miner used, clocks or anything actually) I estimate 29,4 Mh/s at stock settings, maybe not at beginning but after driver updates and miner optimizations for new architecture.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    It's clear you've got gpu-z in the background and it's genoil miner running.
    edited June 2016
    Check this out:

RX480:

It's a Sapphire card, 2304sp, Samsung memory, 1120 base clock 1266mhz boost clock and 8000mhz memory clock 8gb
    3xDP 1x HDMI :) VGA & DVI are going away.
    Post edited by bbcoin on
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Just read this article - seems to be positive for ETH mining - can some expert digest this:

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-2/

AMD is launching a new overclocking tool for the RX 400 series with voltage control, oh and the RX 480 is capable of 1.5Ghz+ clock speeds. You heard that right folks! We got a good one for you today. We shared the impressive performance figures for AMD’s reference designed RX 480 4GB & 8GB cards just a couple of days ago, both of which came out ahead of the R9 Nano & GTX 980. It’s about time we dove into the overclocking aspect of the red team’s latest Radeon graphics card retailing on the 29th of June.

AMD’s $199 RX 480 Is Even More Impressive When Overclocked:
    With the Radeon RX 480 and the RX 400 series in general AMD wants every user to be able to extract even more value out of their RX 400 series graphics card. Beyond what they’d normally get straight out of the box. The key to achieve this is to make overclocking more accessible, more convenient and more valuable. This is where AMD’s new overclocking tool will play an instrumental role in supercharging the bang behind every buck.
    the 'beast gpu' will be the ones with poor ASIC quality and loads of voltage leak ;) so yeah they will hit 1.5ghz but will need loads more power to do so.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Getting excited over here :) it's like knowing santa is coming.. :tongue:
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Heliox said:

Heliox said:

@heliox.... are you planning a 480 mod? :D
    @Heliox I'm gearing up already, motherboards, cpu's PSU :) I want to run those babies as soon as they land.

R7 370 is nice and easy to run but you can't get it below 9W/mh unless someone makes a BIOS mod.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    citronick said:

Heliox said:

Heliox said:

@heliox.... are you planning a 480 mod? :D
    Haha, damn yeah! Just finished doing another edit on my nano roms, 1.5Mh increase for the same power usage.. :wink:

So yeah, definitely will be looking into those as well!
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Will only reference 480s be available at first? When do non-reference video cards generally become available?
    edited June 2016

Will only reference 480s be available at first? When do non-reference video cards generally become available?

NDA stops tomorrow from what I heard. We should see more designs popping up. So far most companies got the reference design with their own logo and box.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    bbcoin said:

NDA stops tomorrow from what I heard. We should see more designs popping up. So far most companies got the reference design with their own logo and box.
    its counter intiutive but actually ref cards with the dircected air blowers are best for mining applications since all the cards in your racks will blow air away from the other cards so its easier to control the heat
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    bbcoin said:

@Heliox I'm gearing up already, motherboards, cpu's PSU :) I want to run those babies as soon as they land.

I'm with you @bbcoin!! stocked up and waiting!

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Heliox said:

This ^^^ :smiley:
  • HelipotteHelipotte Member Posts: 7
    Might have to replace my 7950 with these. Hopefully I can pick a couple up considering only
    8000 are going to be sold here (US) at launch.
    You guys might be disappoint

the 8Gig card is faster than the 4 gig card by 1000mhz and only does 24mhs for 100 watts still good but the cheap 4 gig card only does 21 mhz. Of course with oc and tuning I expect these cards to sit around

26-28 mhs at 130 watts with OC and undervolt.

The big issue is the stock cards seem to run crazy hot 89 degrees so it looks like it might be better to wait for after market coolers on these.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1494859.280
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    im ready too. I'm about to pull the trigger on some local 390x at 200 each, but if these will hit 28 at 150, its no competition. my 390x hit 32 but at close to 300
    @shutfu yeah 390x and 390s are really for folks with cheap or free power my power is over .15 cents in the summer i sold all my 390s execpt a few and selling my 290x cards as well
  • AmphAmph Member Posts: 106
    what's the point of this gpu when a 1070 can do 37MH with 140w?
    Amph said:

what's the point of this gpu when a 1070 can do 37MH with 140w?

but it's twice the price and you need to fiddle alot before you get it to 37 no to mention it will crash a lot more than AMD due to the fact AMD is perfectly aware of the mining community and I'm sure they produce GPU with the mining in mind.
  • AmphAmph Member Posts: 106
    appear to be very stable at 37MH i contacted the guy that reached that value, even if it cost double of a 480, it still worth it because of density, if you have a big farm you might want to save on useless component like cpu mobo ram...
    edited June 2016
    Amph said:

appear to be very stable at 37MH i contacted the guy that reached that value, even if it cost double of a 480, it still worth it because of density, if you have a big farm you might want to save on useless component like cpu mobo ram...

It doesn't matter, because of the big price difference 470/480 will reach ROI much quicker.
    We are taking 3 months vs 5 months for 1070
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

The big issue is the stock cards seem to run crazy hot 89 degrees so it looks like it might be better to wait for after market coolers on these.

thats wild. I guess i always associated power=heat and I figured they would run much cooler. Those dang shitty stock coolers. I wonder if some better thermal paste like mx4 will help. 6 cards at 90c will be too much heat here in texas.

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    bbcoin said:

Amph said:

It doesn't matter, because of the big price difference 470/480 will reach ROI much quicker.
    We are taking 3 months vs 5 months for 1070
    That might be the case for those just starting from scratch, but ROI would be acheived MUCH quicker by a farm owner who's already ROI'd. I have 900MH and it would take me a little over a month to achieve ROI on x6 1070's = $2,600.

I've been thinking about this hard and have come to the realization that 480/470/460 are for those just getting into mining to ROI quicker as you say then upgrade. As an established miner my concern is diversity towards all algos. Once ETH is done with PoW, I want my AMDs to prop up my Nvidias on AMD strong algos and vice versa.
  • Rx480Rx480 Member Posts: 11
    I allready have Windows 7 drivers, for 32 and 64 bit systems. But I cannot overclocking. when I overclock more then 5 percent i got crashed all system. I dont know who get overclock to 1500mhz.
  • xeto1210xeto1210 Member Posts: 35
    What mobo support 5 or 6 rx 480/?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    xeto1210 said:

asrock h81 pro btc
    edited June 2016

xeto1210 said:

asrock h81 pro btc
    I 've seen anyone say it can't get sufficient 6 new types of graphics cards from 290x to 2016.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    shutfu said:

Marvell9 said:

thats wild. I guess i always associated power=heat and I figured they would run much cooler. Those dang shitty stock coolers. I wonder if some better thermal paste like mx4 will help. 6 cards at 90c will be too much heat here in texas.

@shutfu
    I think that this is a common misunderstanding.
    In any case, almost all wattage is going to heat, no matter what internal temperature is, 70, 80 or 90C.
    In other words, 100W card produces and dissipates roughly 341 BTU/hr of heat and 200W card twice as much.
    So, it is basically up to your A/C unit to counteract that heat, if you have them at home. If outside, it won't matter one bit, you can use a fan to blow at them to simply facilitate heat dissipation.
    shutfu said:

Marvell9 said:

What mainbroad you use?